Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Role playing conventions

• 03-04-2004 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

i was thinking of going to one. has any1 here been to one? are they good? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Salubri

25th - 27th of June.
    You could go to QCon in Queens University Belfast - Should be good, I've never been but have heard good reports...
    Or - you could go to Conclave in the University of Limerick. Same weekend unfortunately. I have been to this and it's well worthwhile. A fair few of us Flat Earth Soc folks will be heading down there. We like Conclave a lot. (plus I bought a ticket already sooo...)

There's always something going on in Ireland as regards Conventions. The best place (I have found) to find out more is www.gameeire.com... Good luck and HAVE FUN! *grin*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

been to warpcon and gaelcon last few years running there usually quite good

gaelcon i enjoyed more there both on within months of each other there's usually an announcment made in this form when the various cons are about to start good luck hope you enjoy yourself :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Gaming conventions are the most fun you can have with a rulebook.

Everyone should go to one. I understand Warpcon is among the biggest in the country, and I've never been disappointed in the last 4-5 years I started going. I'm hooked, actually...

Lots of traders giving interesting discounts, special guests (my gaming group assailed John Kovalic and Greg Hyland for a good 3 hours solid at the last Warpcon. Poor guys... :) )

But on top of the buying cool stuff there's tonnes of quick games to play, in every possible system (and some on-the-spot made up ones) and setting. Last year's Warpcon was my first to play RPGs (I was more of a WH40K man before that) and I found the GMs to be fantastically friendly, knowledgable and fun to play with.

Add to that the extra activities in the bar afterwards and you have yourself a weekend of utter delight.

There are also rumours of a possible con in Galway next year... *taps nose and winks* ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Commissar

Went to my first last year at Gaelcon, spent buckets of cash and got myself addicted to Heroclix. Absolutly brilliant and I'm definitely planning to go again next time round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Yes, that's one thing I forgot to say outright. Bring money. Lots of money. It's not that food&drink will be expensive, it's just that there's so much cool stuff to buy. And you WILL buy it. Went half&half with my girlfriend to afford all 6 Dork Tower collections at 70 quid. Bought a ninja sword at 40 quid. Bought lots and lots of shiny dice...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

It's official! NUI Galway FanSci are hosting ItzaCon Éire, 18th-20th March 2005!:D

It's going to be great fun, and we'd appreciate all the support we can get for our first con, so be there or be a two-dimensional four-sided object!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

let me know nearer the time fozzle can you post a thread about 2 or 3 months before the event and i'll sticky it to let people know that its gonna happen,

i'm not sure if i can make it but i'll try ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Specky

I went to Gaelcon last year, it was the first con I'd been too in over ten years and I have to admit I was quite nervous.

However, once we'd all removed our clothes and applied the body paint I realised that things were just like they'd always been. I never cease to be amazed by the quality of body painting displayed at these conventions, if you didn't know better you could almost believe that the people were really fully dressed instead of, as we convention go-ers all know, actually bare nudey naked as the day they were born.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Originally posted by AL][EN
    let me know nearer the time fozzle can you post a thread about 2 or 3 months before the event and i'll sticky it to let people know that its gonna happen,

i'm not sure if i can make it but i'll try ok

Thanks for that, Al][en, it'd be great. :)

Advertisement