Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some spelling suggestions

Options
  • 03-04-2004 11:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭

Ok, I propose this for my sanity, and the sanity of many of the users of boards.

I am firm upholder in the use of prosperous use of the English language. I never use so-called "shorthand" unless I find it completely uncompromisable. When I do, I use in purely to save space in text messages when using my mobile phone. Never to save time. The problem is, most people use it nowadays online, not to save time of space, but to be "cool". I hate this, and I know most boards users do to. It has just got too much for me know that I am starting to dislike people purely on their use of grammar.

So, I propose this for my sanity, and for the sanity of many/most of the users of boards.

Considering the fact that we can say "bastard" "tit", "bollocks", etc without censorship* I propose the following automatic "adjustments" to the grammar in everybody's posts:

Dat = “that”
    Da = “the”
    M8 = “mate”
    Kul = “cool”
    U = “you”
    R = “are”
    Pls = “please”
    Bud = “Sir”
    Ne = “any”
    “whatever!” = “I’m not really listening”
    wos = “was”
    peeps = “people”
    2 = “to”
    to = “too” /I don't think these people know the difference anyway.
    askin = “asking”
    fone = “phone”
    wen = “when”
    du = “do”
    ur = “your”/”you’re”
    ova = “over”
    bac = “back”
    mutha = “mother”
    hore = “whore”
    sum = “some”
    1 = “one”
    shood/shud = “should”
    im = “I’m”/”I am”
    dis = “this”
    wid = “with”
    afta = “after”
    no = “know”
    bovad = “bothered”
    ova = “other”
    foto = “photo”
    wen = “when”
    dis = “is”
    ded = “dead”

Anybody in support of the English language, please speak up.

*yet we can't say "cnut", "n!gger", "fcuk", anyway...

;)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Doctor Funfrock

yea i agree that text speak is stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

du u undur stand wat Im sayin?

I don't understand your problem?

why not trying to speak Irish?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Originally posted by redRogue
    Can you *imagine* what shorthand Irish would look like?

Geez, English is bad enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i agree i hate m8 and the likes

also l337 speak is the worst of all

example

i R teh winz U r n00b like what the **** are people on that makes them talk like this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Couldn't have put it better myself Sinecure.... We should have spelling officers who go around the various boards banning people for not using proper english.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I don't understand why people use "text" speak when they type/write something. I though the reason for text speak was because people ran out of characters when typing messages.

I support this idea!

John

Originally posted by PhoenixRising
    Couldn't have put it better myself Sinecure.... We should have spelling officers who go around the various boards banning people for not using proper english.

Only a banning? Awww :( I was thinking more like a knee-capping, or at least a damn good kicking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Ixoy takes to the floor....

If you don't like txt speak ignore it and put the user on ignore too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Originally posted by Sinecure
    Only a banning? Awww :( I was thinking more like a knee-capping, or at least a damn good kicking.

Well, depending on the severity of the offence, the penalty would be at the discretion of the spelling officer.:D

I vote Sinecure for spelling chief.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by yellum

But you have to read it, and adsorb it before rejecting it, and that's just the same thing as having to read and accept it.
    Please, don't defend this crucifixion of the English language.

Originally posted by PhoenixRising
    Well, depending on the severity of the offence, the penalty would be at the discretion of the spelling officer.:D

I vote Sinecure for spelling chief.

I'm in Belfast, I know my sh!t.

*ignore that please, purely in humour.

/edit - unlike this thread, which isn't humour...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by yellum

I'm with Sinecure on this one... You can't always ignore a post in the middle of a thread, if you're trying to follow its logical flow. Furthermore before you know that you should ignore it, the post has seared itself into your brain, making you weep for the rape of the English language . I've already prayed for a spell checker of some form before but, if I recall, it's an impossible dream for Boards. Nonetheless even a small measure as per your suggestion would be appreciated, as would Sinecure in the position of Spelling God of Boards, metting out the requisite punishment for spelling (and basic grammar) offences....

I personally don't see the problem with the evolution of the language.

You no wat Im sayin... again wat is de problem???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

so yossarion was right! removing all vowels in a sentence is the way to go then! ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Bit of a flaw in that in most of the words you suggest are actual words and would throw a lot of sentences of of context.

Example.

"I am driving down the M8 in Glasgow to pick up a dat tape from a friend. I miss my exit and figure I can't do a U turn."

Now if your plan came in think what it would end up like.

"I am driving down the mate in Glasgow to pick up a that tape from a friend. I miss my exit and figure I can't do a you turn."

See won't work, just ignore them and tell them to use proper english.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by redRogue

Why not trying to stay school long time before trying to talk with boys big?!1

Im 100% with sinecure on this. Some users seem to have a nokia keypad instead of a keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I dunno, chances are that the posters using this shorthand text speak don't have anything worthwhile to contribute anyway. Once you see a sentence littered with numbers and devoid of vowels, you can just ignore it and move on to the next post. It serves a purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

Originally posted by Ste-
    Bit of a flaw in that in most of the words you suggest are actual words and would throw a lot of sentences of of context.

Example.

"I am driving down the M8 in Glasgow to pick up a dat tape from a friend. I miss my exit and figure I can't do a U turn."

Now if your plan came in think what it would end up like.

"I am driving down the mate in Glasgow to pick up a that tape from a friend. I miss my exit and figure I can't do a you turn."

See won't work, just ignore them and tell them to use proper english.

yes and also any normal, properly used "to" would be automatically changed to "too". It could work slightly better if "to." and "to," were replaced with "too", but that would be relying on people who don't post in proper english punctuating their sentences correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

Originally posted by Sinecure

U = “you”
    R = “are”
    2 = “to”
    to = “too” /I don't think these people know the difference anyway.
    sum = “some”
    1 = “one”
    no = “know”

I know it's unlikely, but what if someone wanted to spell something with a U and a R? Same with 1 and 2. And how would the spellchecker thingy know the purpose of the word?
    Because if someone was typing something about maths, and sums, it would pop up as some.
    The same with "no". If someone wanted to say no as a negative form

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan
    I dunno, chances are that the posters using this shorthand text speak don't have anything worthwhile to contribute anyway. Once you see a sentence littered with numbers and devoid of vowels, you can just ignore it and move on to the next post. It serves a purpose.

I think this is the only solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

fr_Ted.jpg

Just say NO to text..er txt. :)

Mike.

"wot r u talkin bout? i wish i woz able 2 talk txt.
    but i woz in da pub wiv my m8 the oder nite an I tink she said she wox afta my m8, but she swor she wasnt. i wos near to hitin her. She piss me off loads. peeps tink im parnoid, but i amint."

^ my point.

And, before posting, "Funeh" here is included in this ****e...

It's "F.U.N.N.Y" you bollocks you.
    It takes you longer to mis-spell a word than to spell it correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

nope you can make those changes because those words often have different meanings for example

"DAT" could be someone on the tech forum talking about a backup device call DAT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Quite often I subconsciously place less weight/credance on the opinions someone who unnecessarily mangles their sentences
    so yossarion was right! removing all vowels in a sentence is the way to go then! ...

The difference is that when Yossarian did it it was very funny whereas someone doing it to their own writing asking for help with something or stating an opinion just annoys me. Now if boards were to have a parsing program called Yossarian that randomly mangled posts by removing vowels or prepositions, now that would be funny (for about 10 minutes on April 1st).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I wholeheartedly support this idea. I'm sick of people not even trying to spell correctly and I can't believe those who still confuse 'their', 'they're' and 'there' !
    It amazes me that people can learn how to use a computer but have no concept of basic english.
    Also, for those who believe that if one full-stop is a good thing, several must be better e.g.

"so I was in the pub last night....This guy walked up to me and said I was ugly....I told him I didn't care....Then he left."

can we forget the banning and just hunt them down and slay them instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Some posters definitely seem to be on an ellipsis overdrive.

Perhaps the sign up process should contain a section entitled "Grammar 101".

Repeat after me: "The girls' house's door. The door of the house belonging to ... "

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by Sleipnir
    can we forget the banning and just hunt them down and slay them instead?
    That works for me, although I'd have to slightly nick you with my blade because you didn't begin that sentence with a capital. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Excellent idea. I don't have the concentration to try and decypher text speak posts early in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I suspect that all ‘text speak’ posters are just little childers who, with time, will eventually grow out of it once they’ve grown up, be nice to the kiddies folks, we were once like them, they know not yet the errors of their ways
    or
    if you cannot do the above, I also recommend slaying as a second option

Advertisement