Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some spelling suggestions

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

keep txt speak...k33p 1337 5p34k....

more fun tbh, I have no problem with someone writing with no punctuation, horrible spelling (I cant spell to save my life) or using txt or 1337 speak....

if a person wants to make a point, they can make thier bloody point in french for all i care as long as i get an idea of the post and whats between the lines, then the form of language may have no more effect left on the post, unless its out of character of course....

well if you have a hard time getting used to new words and euphemisms...then good luck in life baby....

Its like hieroglyphics, they may look nice/ugly for a few 1000 years, but its the point they make which is the important information

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by Sleipnir
    IAlso, for those who believe that if one full-stop is a good thing, several must be better
    I often do that, don't do text speak, short hand when posting. I usualy try to make sure my spelling is correct but its often wrong at times. I blame public school education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Stuff

Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan
    I dunno, chances are that the ........

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but seeing as everyone is giving out about people using abbrev.:D ect I feel I should point things out too. I think the words you were looking for were I Don't Know.

Should we not also ban things like LOL, AFAIK, IMO?
    Oh and Beruthiel, "childers" is not a word, this can get ridiculous, it's a public board forr people to post opinions, not to have their grammer (or lack of it) scrutinised by others , who , by all accounts are less than perfect themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

I cant spell...

I tend to use shorthand like "2day" and such howeaver i take offence to the part when you said people say stuff like that to be "kool".

There are some people out there who NEED to be kool and they will like whatever music or football team that makes them look kool. They have no personality of there own and will say or do whatever is "kool" but i dont think that applies to shorthand.

Having the spell checker auto change those words is a good idia i support it.

edit: What about stuff like WTF will we leave that the way it is or change it

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by User45701
    I cant spell...
    I can't say that anyone of us noticed ;) Seriously though, surely you know that it's "can't" and not "cant" (the latter is an actual word that can mean whining pretentious talk, so it's of use to boards!) The apostrophe denotes a contraction, replacing a letter. You're trying to say "can not" so you say "can't" using the apostrophe for the missing letters. You can't merely exclude the apostrophe else you get an entirely different word. You get my point though: it only takes a couple of moments to think such things through.

I tend to use shorthand like "2day" and such howeaver i take offence to the part when you said people say stuff like that to be "kool".
    Well your position on being "cool" was made abundantly clear in a previous thread. You're not remotely cool nor is anyone on this web message board :D I'd always have assumed the use of such language was apathy, a lack of discipline, rather than a concerted effort by the social elite to create their own use of language.

Having the spell checker auto change those words is a good idia i support it.
    I seem to recall DeVores saying that it isn't going to be a viable plan anytime soon. If your spelling is poor, why not paste it into a word processor beforehand? You can always get a free one that's equipped with spell checker functionality.
    Also a cursory glance would surely enable you to eliminate the majority of errors, including those that spell checkers cannot find.
    Certainly, at the very least, all posters should aim to raise their standards slightly and prevent the most persistent - and annoying - errors that we see: their/they're, its/it's, you/you're, etc. It's not that difficult. Content is important, of course, but the delivery of that content can be vital to appreciating it. A message can have a more profound effect if it's presented in a more coherent manner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Bless you, Sinecure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Originally posted by Sinecure
    I am firm upholder in the use of prosperous use of the English language. I never use so-called "shorthand" unless I find it completely uncompromisable. When I do, I use in purely to save space in text messages when using my mobile phone. Never to save time. The problem is, most people use it nowadays online, not to save time of space, but to be "cool". I hate this, and I know most boards users do to. It has just got too much for me know that I am starting to dislike people purely on their use of grammar.

I'm no one to judge as my spelling and grammar is atrocious but can anyone else see some grammar and spelling mistakes in the above or is that the point??

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

/me stabs at things

ok theres decent spelling, now we're bordering on severe pedantism :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Originally posted by b3t4
    I'm no one to judge as my spelling and grammar is atrocious but can anyone else see some grammar and spelling mistakes in the above or is that the point??

A.

B3t4,
    I typed "in" instead of "it", and "of" instead of "and".

These are clearly typos, and nothing to do with my original post at all.
    Infact, did you even read the post properly to see what it was about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

If I recall correctly wasn't there a spell checking facility on boards years ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Cr3m0

i R teh winz U r n00b like what the **** are people on that makes them talk like this

Smack, obviously...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Hey here's an idea. When you register, you must take the test here. Anyone who fails to achieve either the rank of Master or Grammar God is not allowed post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Obviously they'd have two chances right ? Otherwise you wouldn't be here with that rule ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

I got Grammar God. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

ok theres decent spelling, now we're bordering on severe pedantism :P

That would be 'pedantry', of which this post is an example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

'You are a GRAMMAR GOD!

If your mission in life is not already to preserve the English tongue, it should be. Congratulations and thank you!"

Never was the status of deity so easily achieved. Worship me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

I are the Fùcking wIN.

Gramma Master .. ..

i speak better EngrIsH thean moost Americans

Gift

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

I wasn't going to but....
    I am firm upholder in the use of prosperous use of the English language.

what??

I hate this, and I know most boards users do to.

It's too.

Other people could just be making typos too (not all of course, I'm leaving out the text speak and leet speak)

A.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

...use so-called "shorthand" unless I find it completely uncompromisable...

...not to save time of space, but to be "cool"...

That was my point, what is yours exactly?

Also, you can use "prosperous misuse" of the English language, therefore, you can also use "prosperous use", hence my "use prosperous use".
    [Sounds like: "Youse prosperous Yoos"]
    I wasn't going to but....
    then why did you?

S.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Your weak attempt at defending the cobblers that was the remainder of the sentence notwithstanding, can you clarify:
    I am firm upholder in
    :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement