Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

In-sewer-ants

Options
  • 04-04-2004 2:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Looking at buying my first car atm and I'll probably have to go somewhere to collect it so I'm wondering what to do about insurance. Obviously I don't want to spend half the day sitting in my new (old) car in the middle of nowhere trying to organise it, but of course I don't want to pay through the nose for it either, so I'll want to shop around for quotes. I'm guessing short-term insurance might be the route to take? Or will I be robbed?

adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If you're buying from a dealer they can usually have the insurance set up on the new car straight away, while you're given a few days grace to cough up the cash for it. Dunno about private sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Your insurance has to kick in as soon as you drive it away, visit www.123.ie to get an idea of the price you are going to pay, insurance companies are not too interested in short term policies and rip you off on them AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

If you are buying from a garage they can sort out short term insurance for you fairly easy.
    Could be tougher if the car is bought through a private sale. The insurance company will prob charge you a nice little bit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Sorry, should have said it was for a private sale. 123.ie's estimate was twice what I could get on Insure.ie, so they won't be getting the business anyway... :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

dahamsta
    I'm assuming you're a young driver with little or no insurance history. In that case:
    - some garages do give a no. of weeks free insurance with a car sale, but only if you're over 25.
    - unless you're over 30, 5yrs no claims bonus etc. the web is not the best place to get a quote (they always err on the side of caution). You'll need to call around. From what I hear Quinn direct are good for young drivers. If you were a named driver on another policy, worth contacting them also.
    - when buying from a garage, there is normally a lag time. See the car on a Sat, do the deal, pay a deposit. During the week, they service/valet the car, you get the rest of the finance and insurance sorted.
    - you should get representative quotes from companies before actually buying, so you know what you can affoard.

• Advertisement

31, no NCB but 10+ yrs named on family policy, 2 penalty points. Trying to insure an early (88-92) 5 series BMW, possibly 518 but I'll likely end up with a 520.

While I'm here, can anyone recommend someone to look at a car for me? There's a car I might be interested in Blanchardstown, but I'm not mad to travel up (from Cork) on spec. AA Autocheck is a bit pricey by all accounts.

EDIT: Dave Byrne Motors apparently. Any recommendations / horror stories?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

has any insurance company asked you if you had penalty points?

Originally posted by Nuttzz
    has any insurance company asked you if you had penalty points?
    See here. I haven't actually phoned yet, but it's certainly a factor on most of the online quotes.

adam

Advertisement