Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freddy Adu makes his debut for DC United

• 04-04-2004 4:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭

Whats everyone think of this? My opinion is:

14 me arse, good old fashioned dodgy African documents IMO. Although he does look like a handy player.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭qwertyup

You honestly think he looks any older than 14?

Unless he's a midget with a severe case of baby-face, he's as he says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by qwertyup
    severe case of baby-face
    I wouldn't say baby faced

BTW - How did he do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

big deal! he made a debut and got about 2 touches. enough hype and attention.

let the lad concentrate on his game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Oswald Osbourne

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    I wouldn't say baby faced

More like the baby from Eraserhead

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

He got about 4 touches in 30 mins, and the only thing he actually contributed to the game was to run straight into a player challenge for a header, fall down and try claim a penelty.
    Not a very convincing game for the highest paid player in the MLS.
    Maybe in 5 years he will be worth it, but Millner, Lennon and Rooney all made vastly better bedutes at not much older than him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭TheC0CK

He is 14 years old. This hype helps nobody. Thank God he is not playing for an English team or the media would ruin his career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭markomac316

The American media are calling him the saviour of MLS {Major League Soccer} thats a lot of pressure for a 14 year old. Could you imagine asking Wayne Rooney to save the premier league.

There was media hype about it here too on BBC they had a thing about it on the news, if hes everything hes cracked up to be god help the backlines across the land. I smell a replacement for Henrik Larsson :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

I thought socceram showed Adu scoring on his debut?? I read the match report etc., is there a US equivalent to the charity shield he might have scored in or anything??

john

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Reading on tele text it said that it was Jeff Agoos who knocked him over in the area and was booed for it . (Kinda odd seeing that Agoos is a current USA player and Adu is a young hopeful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Just goes to show how the media can hype someone up so much before him even kicking a ball that people are mentioning his debut thousands of miles away. Way too much hype for a 14 year old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭bdiddy

it's just wrong, he's 14 for christs sake....no1 shud be allowed professional contact sports before thier 16th birthday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

14 me arse

he's 15 or 16 and already has more money than any of my family put together have ever had, and thats going over four generations. He's on around $40,000 a week and has a $1,000,000 a year deal with Nike. Its ridicilious wages for any footballer are to high but at that age it will only lead him to things that people shouldnt be lead to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

He makes $9,600 a week.
    Which is still crazy for a 14y/o (if he is 14).

k obviously i was way off lol but thats still crazy money im happy when i get £120 at the end of a week in my part time job, it gets me food, transport n drink...If I had $9,600 a week god knows what it could be spent on, not that i would ever try drugs but with that kinda money its not good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Saw the replay of the game on ESPN.

Anyone remember that miss by Ronnie Rosenthal for Liverpool about 10 yrs ago?
    Well there was one of them by one of the DC stikers - unbelievable open goal miss!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 doozerjack

quote:
    The American media are calling him the saviour of MLS {Major League Soccer}

In fairness, the American media know jack about soccer, and wouldnt know their Duffs from their Morrisons, so comparisons to "the new Pele" (which I heard suggested) are highly questionable, but at least the media over there is making an effort to drum up interest in the game for a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 doozerjack

Just noticed his photo now.
    Thats Andy Cole! No wonder he didnt play for Blackburn at Anfield, maybe the MLS will make him look good.. .. .

Advertisement