Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Port Scanning

• 04-04-2004 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

My firewall software has just reported a Port Scan from an IP Address with a 'minor' severity type.

Does this mean that someone is actually trying to attack my machine or just a random scan .. I can back trace the IP address to '.nl' url...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Traced it back now to a Dutch ISP ...

Maybe one of their users ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

I've getting a load of port scans recently. It started with someone from Oregan in the US. Since then its been from Alaska, Germany, Ireland...all over. It didn't happen as frequently before January.

Ad-aware doesn't detect any spyware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

Yeah, may be a port scan, may be innocent: depends on the reliability of the firewall you're using.

Anyway, that's what the firewall's for: to keep the bad guys out. It's just that some of them report every piece of activity they get, whether it represents a threat or not.

I don't really suppose it's worth following up on ...

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Originally posted by zenith
    Yeah, may be a port scan, may be innocent: depends on the reliability of the firewall you're using.

Anyway, that's what the firewall's for: to keep the bad guys out. It's just that some of them report every piece of activity they get, whether it represents a threat or not.

I don't really suppose it's worth following up on ...

Thanks guys ... I am using Sygate Personal Firewall (as it was free !!)

What are your opinions on the best one to use .. I wouldn't spending a few yoyos for that 'extra' piece of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Originally posted by Couch Potato
    Thanks guys ... I am using Sygate Personal Firewall (as it was free !!)

What are your opinions on the best one to use .. I wouldn't spending a few yoyos for that 'extra' piece of mind.

Sygate is pritty good. If you wanna spend some money though i'd recommend Norton 2004.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

nmap is pretty good, test your firewall here
    http://www.linux-sec.net/Audit/nmap.test.gwif.html
    i recconecnd doing two scans, one with -sX
    and a second with -P0
    It gives some good results check your logs, see if the passive x-mas tree (first scan) shows up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Why spend money on a firewall. There are plenty of great free ones.

Kerio protects better than norton (according to a review i read before), and costs nothing, which is great. It's also a helluva lot easier to use and norton.

I spent 2 hours trying to troubleshoot norton firewall (i forget its proper title) and in the end i gave up, and got my friend to uninstall and reinstall it. Wherever the rule was that was blocking his app was nicely hidden. Kerio has them in a nice, easily browsable window. NOT spread out over 6 differnet areas in the program.

Advertisement