Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contemplative Thread

Options
  • 04-04-2004 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭

I sit here now on the eve of my 18th birthday, roughly two hours and 45 minutes away, and am oddly contemplative.

Something richard said to me came back to me, asking what i had achieved in 18 years....what do i answer? well....i had the opportunity to leave abroad for many years...didnt really take advantage of that time, but hey, i was a kid. but now i think of the things that have had the largest effect on my over the past two or three years....my friends....the girl i love....the death of a close friend. and i think how all these things have shaped my life and the course of others around me.

So now i go onto things I've achieved, rather than things i've experienced. Well, not much here frankly. Learnt to play the guitar. Read a hell of a lot. Tried to understand people. Fallen in love (twice) with the same person. Been in the same relationship for over a year and six months. And i think...i might not have achieved anything all that noticeable. But i think i achieved a lot :)

so what have you guys achieved in life? Its a real humdinger of a question but an interesting one to boot :)

Neil

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Plasticman

I also had my 18th recently. In hindsight, I have done nothing with my life. At all. Played a couple of gigs on stage, but nothing special. Makes me feel a bit lazy. i'd do something about it, but as I've said, lazy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭edibility

This is my first post ever, mainly because its the only thing I've ever felt was worth posting on. I can't say I've lived to be the grand age of eighteen as of yet neil :), but I kinda feel I've achieved one or two things that I'd class as important. I've helped some people, in different ways, with different things, all of which I'd class as the most important achievements of my life. I'm sure everyone can say this, that they've helped someone in some small way. I've learnt karate, and become relatively good at it :). And I've made great friends, (and at least think) I've fallen in love with one of them, deeply in love in fact, all because of ctyi. And love all the rest almost as much :P

So although they're not major, yeah, I'd say I've done a bit :)

Sarah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

Hmm...

Not yet anywhere near 18, but I suppose in my (almost) fifteen years I should have achieved something. There are a few things, I've learned to play the piano and violin, I've read a good bit (although, of course, I'd like to read much more). I've conducted research into many things that interest me. I've learned to speak fluently in this country's mother tongue. I've spent 11 years doing ballet and achieved a dream of mine from when i was but four years old-to dance en pointe.
    There are plenty of things I'm in the process of achieving, deeper, personal things that need a lot of time(five and a half years have already elapsed in the case of some of these things). There are some people I've helped, I suppose, but they've helped me much, much more. One of my best friends has spent the last year or so helping me through the same things, and I will always be grateful for her patience.
    One thing I really want to achieve is to(forgive me for sounding clichéd, I'm even disgusted at myself)figure out the point of why I'm here, to figure out who I am. I think I could achieve a lot more, if only I'd stop lurking around the corners, always standing back, if only I'd stop being so paranoid about petty things. Again, this is just something that will take time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

i've learnt to worry.

and i've written an awful lot. i've made some clothers, and a lot of 'art'-teenage, prententious crap. i've somehow got the best friends. i've made mistakes, but i've learnt from every last one of them. i've listened to a lot of advice given to me, and i've ignored a good bit of it. i've spent so many years dreaming of what i'm going to accomplish that i haven't accomplished quite as much as i'd like to. i've-and now this sounds stupid, but-kind learnt who i am and what it is that i want to acheive from all that dreaming and i dunno, but i'm proud of that.

but i've forgotten. about lots of things and people and i hate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

In my 17-and-a-bit years on this planet, I haven't achieved much of note. I've made friends, and somehow inadvertantly systematically alienated the vast majority of them. I am not artistic, and would leave little trace of my existance were I to die tomorrow. I am currently in the process of doing something which I consider noble, though few of those I care about feel the same way about it. I say this not to obtain pity, but to offer you a benchmark. You're all very lucky, and don't think otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

Well I have done nowt with my life so far. I've just done all the regular stuff y'know? Made some friends and grown up a bit. I guess you could consider me a waster, but even though I haven't done much in these 17 and a bit years, I have found out what I wanna do with my life. The kind of career I want and stuff. It's like I found my calling in life and I'm only 17 so I got that going for me. For anyone interested I want a career in phyiscs. So y'see, even though I haven't done much, I'm sure that I'll do a lot in the future.

So far I've had a good time. I'm pretty happy at the moment so that's pretty good. But there's a lot I want to do. I feel like my whole life's ahead of me at the moment. This might sound odd, but I feel like these past years have been more of a preperation for life. I'm gonna be living it soon. It's like the path hasn't even started yet. God that sounds corny. And if I die in the next five years I'm gonna be SO pissed off.

[edit]I just realised something I did with my life that I'm very glad I did. Yesterday, as I was walking home with a friend of mine, we came across this bunch of bananas lying in the road. It seemed like someone had completely wasted the bananas. Sure they were a little muddy and in the street, but they had the protective skins around them. So then a thought came into my head "Do you really wanna live your whole life without eating a banana from the street?" And I said to myself, "Hell no!". So I ate one of the bananas and it was damn good. It didn't just taste of banana, it tasted of victory.[/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

in the last sixteen years, ten months, and fourteen days i have both spread, and felt, the love.
    that is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Cait

Happy Birthday Neil!! I can't say i've done a whole lot... but then again i did get to see india this year... which was a pretty major achievement. And since i've left home i definitely feel like i've a much bigger hold on my life, and it's all going the way i want it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

Well I am 19 and have done nothing but to me it seems like a whole lot :dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

W00t. its now my birthday. i am now 18 :D /me does a dance :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

Happy Birthday Neil! WOOOOOOOOO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Well done jailbait ! Wait til you turn 27 and examine what you've done with your life. Then the heartache begins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭tibilt

i'm alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

I've conquered all insecurities about my physical self. Which is a very good thing in my book. I've fallen in love properly. I've fallen out of said. I've discovered a broad range of music. I've become extremely close to a few people.

However, reflecting, it doesn't seem like much. **** it. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭strawberry

Happy birthday Neil!

What have I done in nineteen years of life ... I've lived and loved. I've made people happy, I've made people sad, I've made people angry and I've calmed frayed nerves.
    I've been so delighted that I almost floated away to join the clouds, and I've been so heart-broken I lost all thought in emotion ...

And other than that, sometime I give a homeless guy some change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

first and foremost, happy birthday neil. :D

i've learned that not everything makes sense or needs to. i have friends who i love so deeply it hurts. i've learned that life (in my opinion) doesn't really have a greater meaning, but that's all the more reason to find things which you are passionate about. i'm interested in so many different things it's criminal and if i were the only person left on the earth, i'd spend years and years as a happy wandering existentialist hermit.
    i'd say more, but having secrets is an integral part of being and one must not divulge all of them. especially on message boards. that is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

What have I done?

I've survived life-threatening illness.
    I've learned enough to get by in a number of languages (including Russian, Latin, Portuguese and JavaScript 2).
    I've made friends across the social strata.
    I have learned web design, for when I finally have something about which to design a website.
    I solved an Irish Times Cryptic Crossword, all on my lonesome.
    I've learned to tolerate imperfection, especially within myself.
    I have written. I have read philosophy. I have argued politics with friends and enemies.
    I became a cultural polyglot on my year off from education, reading about diplomacy, international finance and WWII bombers, often withing the same week.

That's about it. Nothing to enter the history books, but hey. I'll do that tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

What have I done? Age 19.

I guess I've grown from being weird to being normal, from being different to being somehow the same.
    I've felt lost and when I found what I wanted I threw it away again.
    I've learned things that I never want to forget, and I've managed to lose sight of their importance as time changes.
    I don't get on with most people.
    I've learned that I can teach complicated things in simple ways.
    I've been afraid to act or to debate, although I would love to, simply because I fear rejection and failure.
    I strive to be the best and I always fail.
    I've hurt people irreconcilable.
    I haven't quite managed to learn guitar.
    I've been elected auditor (as of 4 days ago) of a society of 658 people and I've acknowledged that this terrifies me.
    I've lied to more people than I care to remember.
    I've made friends who mean everything to me.
    I've made bad choices.
    I've kissed strangers.
    I've broken promises to myself.
    I've found out the hard way that the person I can trust the most is my oldest friend.
    I've made good choices.
    I've neglected friendships and fostered hate.
    I haven't travelled.
    I've achieved better marks in most exams than most of my friends ever will and I'm still not happy with myself.
    I can write php.
    I've read bad books in the same genre always.
    I will never be able to write anything as meaningful as my sister.
    I've loved my family unequivocally.
    I taught my niece how to count in her head.
    I've lost an amazing friend.
    I've been in love.
    I've hoarded things that have practially no meaning execpt to me.
    I've kept a random diary for years.
    I've made people laugh.
    I've tried and succeeded.
    I've tried and failed.

It's mostly things that everyone has done.

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭freakydeadgirl

in my 16 years and a few months i've done nothing worth rambleing about.
    basicly i wake-up every day, stareing up at the celling, and think to my self 'f*ck the sun rose today' and then depending on if i have school or not, i roll out of bed and go off to school or i roll over and pull the sheet over my head til noon.
    really all i'm doing is counting down the days til i'm on my own away from my family
    mabey when i'm older i'll do something worth while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭gigglingrat

I've learnt to read, write and speak fluent english, which is something many Irish people fail to do...
    I realised that the Universe probably wasn't created just so I could be born.
    I faced my fears and squashed the stupid wasp.
    I gave out in mac donalds about the crapiness of the milkshakes. I like to feel maybe I changed something there. My fight against evil corporations began.
    But the only thing I'm really proud of is doing Irish debating. Which I will NEVER repeat, but I did it once and that felt great. In hindsight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Dalamar

What have I done?

I've made some effects/changes in people's lives. nothing more. Some have been big-ish, others much smaller. Other's I will never know the true extent of my presence and meddling in other's lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Georgiana

Hi there Neil and Happy Birthday

I am old enough to be your mother. You will probably think I am a nutty "auld one" but for what its worth I'd like to share my idea of achievement in life. I have had a lot of ups and downs and tried to learn all along the way and focus on what is really meaningful rather than just on what is pleasurable or earning money etc. Each day I repeat the following meditation in the morning and if I remember and achieve it each day - then my life will have achieved something useful, in my view-Basically it says- look after yourself properly, value everyone, behave and work with maturity and integrity and value the environment. It took me many years for me to cop on to these ideas in a real way rather than just knowing them theoretically and I consider that an achievement. Also if you always remember and believe that "all is well" you will have achieved something quite difficult to do in elevating yourself beyond the mundane problems of life! The phrase "all is well" is from Julien of Norwich.

Good luck and do value and use the wonderful gift of youth.

My Morning Meditation:

Today we welcome and appreciate the new day knowing that all is well
    Today we care for ourselves
    -by breathing deeply
    -by moving and exercising our bodies
    -by our consumption of food and drink
    -by our approach to work and activities
    -by using our time and putting first things first
    -by taking time to rest and relax
    -by seeking support when needed

Today we notice and value everyone we meet
    Today we are mature and generous in our response to people and situations
    Today we work to get the best outcomes for all
    Today we notice and care for our environment
    Today we remain calm and generous in the face of frustration, negative states and situations
    Today we go about our day knowing that all is well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Me? I've acheived nothing but in a way that's what I feel so proud about. I've taken a year of doing nothing and managed to avoid severe depression and boredom... somehow this year seems to have been the busiest in a long time...

I've gone to america and travelled around san francisco with complete strangers looking for weed, and taken a ride on the cable cars with them. I've thrown up in a supermarket carpark from a caffeine overdose. I talked to MANY aged hipsters who seem to consider me one of their own <which always makes me happy>.

I've bought so much music it hurts, and have discovered through chance many bands that have shaped my musical tastes. I have found a dream in rock, and the resolve to settle for very little less than acheiving that.

I've thought a lot. Thought about the nature of everything and had time and reflection to realise that all those questions don't matter (but are still interesting).

I've found that not everything must contribute to the good of all, and that pointless and meaningless statements (such as art, if you're being entirely honest) are by far the most worthy callings in the world.

Most of all though, I've discovered that it's not what you know, but who you know, and thank god I know some absolutely wonderful people and have tried, in my way, to help as many of them as I possibly can.

Peace and love to all of you. Keep safe. :)

And happy CHOCOLATE DAY! W00t!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

i've also talked and thought a LOAD of crap.
    and touched many people. physically like, not in any profound way.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

I can't think of anything I've done worth remembering :/

But I pissed someone off a couple of minutes ago :(

}:>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭edibility

Ian!!! You have done great things. Even if one of them is hugging me :) which you're good at. *huggles ian* and if it was me you pissed off...sorry :S (may not have been though)

*offers sven chocolate*

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Ian! You are wonderful at hugging, don't ever underestimate that, so many people put no effort or feeling into them!

I'm seventeen and two thirds (wow thats precise) and in that time:
    I have overcome a life-threatening illness
    I have overcome an eating disorder
    I have lost two friends, to cancer and to old age
    I have helped to prevent a suicide
    I have built up an amazing group of friends who I love to pieces
    I have fallen in love with an amazing guy, who loves me :p
    I have successfully boycotted Nestle products for a year
    I have won a scholarship
    I have sued somebody (through my parents)
    I have taught myself two new alphabets
    I taught myself to read
    I had a poem published in Poetry Ireland
    I have been in a movie, a tv show and two plays (however, all of them were crap)
    I have performed singing and piano in front of large amounts of people and been a candidate in two sets of mock elections, which I see as an achievement due to my shyness and general stage-fright
    And I've written down every text anyone has sent me since 13th May 2000, hahaha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭larry

Ailbhe.... shy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭taby

I've achieved nada pretty much.

I'm proud of that.

Well what i have achieved doesn't really merit mention no matter what Halenger says :-p

Of course meeting him and how wonderful he is an achievement for me but he'd prob ( better!) say same thing bout me.

*lol*

But what i will achieve is another matter...

beautiful kids
    a sucessful career and inventing sum life saving drug
    visting every back of beyond country where no one wants to go
    meeting new people and seeing how much i have changed and how wonderful life can be.

:-)

Life is what you make it, so make it great. ( from sum ad :-) )

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

I do like the name of this thread... It's definately one that requires contemplation.

I don't know what I've achieved really. I guess I'll throw down a list in absolutely no sense of importance whatsoever.

Well I'm 20, 2 months and a day old (or there abouts :p ).
    I've lived, loved, lost and loved.
    I'm very happily in Love with my girlfriend of a year and 2 months (today :D ).
    I'm studying where I've always wanted to study, since CTYI.
    I'm studying what I've always wanted to study, Computer Applications.
    I've successfully completed 6 grades on the Piano (but am still only Grade 3).
    I've been on numerous committees of both Clubs and Societies. In fact Wednesday will be the first time I've not been on a committee in almost 3 years.
    I've set up DCU Archery Club and lead them as Captain for 2 years.
    I both personally won the individual part of the Dublin Derby (archery) and lead the team to victory too.
    I've of course attended CTYI, 4 sessions, 3 years.
    I've made a lot of friends though sadly lost touch with most. That saddens me more than most other things really.
    I've gotten through losing all of my friends, moving school and making an entirely new set of friends.
    I've helped my friends whenever they came to me. At least I'd like to think I did. Whether it was through illness, relationship problems, whatever. I hope they still find me as approachable as I've always tried to be.
    I've surrounded myself with a ridiculous amount of material objects. Only lately have I stopped that money wastage, in general.
    I have NEVER touched drugs and never will I.
    I do not drink or smoke thankfully.
    Whether people agree with my faith or not I still am a fairly devote Catholic but I'm always open to new ideas. My faith is my own, not anyone elses.
    I have set up and currently run my own company. Still ironing out a lot of administrativia but I'm getting there.
    I've made it throw my 3 years of college and I'll be a final year in October.
    I've written a film, unfinished and have a book in my mind. If I ever finish them it will be a miracle.
    I've published articles along with a good friend of mine in an astronomy magazine.
    I've published other articles in our college magazine.
    I've compiled and produced (with help) a very successful graduation booklet for those in my year when we graduated secondary school.
    I've been on TV twice for archery a number of years ago, was on the radio on some Irish speaking program and appeared in an advertisement or two as a child.
    I've visited about 13 countries on 3 continents so far in my life.
    I've built 2 computers and I'll be building another 2 next week.

I think that's enough from me. I could probably write more but I don't think you guys need/want to hear more.

Advertisement