Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contemplative Thread

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

First time posting on this board-interesting topic.So age 17 what have I done?

Fell in love and then fell suicidaly depressed.
    Relied on a friend to help me through more things than i care to remember(god bless her)
    Fell in love with her.(still waiting)
    I lead a freedom force-The LNA.
    I have mastered the acient art of war on an ancient mac system.
    I've made people laugh and cry.
    I've played games A LOT!
    I've listened to music A LOT!
    I've driven a golf buggy at high speed.
    I've quit a few jobs.
    I've made €5000 that i can keep tabs on.
    I've owned 5 mobile phones since i was 13.

and

I DID MY WAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!*

*I'll get my coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭taby

Warning long message!! ( Apologies in advance) :-)

I was thinking about this thread. Kinda ironic considering it’s called contemplative thread. :-p well I was just thinking and avoiding doing any work of course about something that I wanted to post about because to me I don’t think anyone should have to go through what I suffered needlessly through.

When I was around 14/15 I suddenly developed migraines. I don’t know why. Nothing changed from my point of view. I just assumed I was stressed so something or that it was a bad flu. My mum thought I was sick and helped me get better. Migraines are basically a headache but one that’s confined to one point in the head and is very very strong ( I’d describe it as a beating effect against the inside of your head with a mallet) and feelings of nausea and general sensitivity to light and wanting to sleep cos you feel so bad.

I suffered through this for 4 years pretty much. At stages I would have them at least twice a week and I never knew when they would happen so I could be out when I’d feel so horrible and have to go home. I used to cry because I wondered why I had these and why I was in such pain. My mum thought I was nuts and used t be mad because id’ get sick so much (I hate getting sick!!!). My friends thought I was nuts. Eventually I arranged a blood test because I got so sick of it. I was at this point in college!! The leaving Cert was hell but that’s another story. I ended up in the states and I got a migraine and my sister looked at me and told me I couldn’t live like that for the rest of my life and that I had to do something. I was leaving in fear. So I decided to change my diet. I figured if I cut out stuff I ate and ate other stuff it might help me figure out what caused it. I figured out I had a very low tolerance to sugar. I get a lot of energy but than essentially burn out after a while and get migraine. So I cut out everything with sugar (or more than 12grams anyway) and now I don’t eat sugar at all except on rare occasions and even than only at night. It’s hard to have to monitor your diet so much and I have a much newfound respect for those who have allergies to certain foods.

I wanted to post this because I think my major achievement was beating this and doing so without any doctor or anything. I went to see a doctor and she was amazed that I had done this without pills or medication. I think that you can achieve anything because I honestly didn’t ever think I would be free of the pain I suffered but you really can’t live you life in fear.

Thank you to Podge for believing I was in pain and for helping so much even though you were helpless to stop the pain.

That’s my biggest achievement. I don’t think I could ever overcome something so bad again and I know that no matter what I can’t be afraid to fight something.

Migraines are not understood and I’d beg anyone who has them to go see a doctor and see if their diet is the cause. It’s better than living with them.

Sorry for the long thread……..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭alaskagirl

hmmm 17 years and some...
    ive been to ctyi!
    i too have kissed strangers
    i can make people smile just by smiling at them
    i've danced for many many people
    i've traveled by myself
    ive worked in the neonatal inensive care unit at my local hospital
    im in a math club (which is a feat for me, as math is not my best subject)
    ive learned some french
    ive had a sweet fling
    ive written poetry and short stories of my own accord and not as an assignment
    ive made friends with many people
    ive sutured
    ive starred in a play
    i can play the violin
    i make people laugh
    im good to my brother
    my family loves me
    i can bake
    ive built a website
    im not ashamed that im an irish step dancer
    ive been remembered by people who i didnt think would remember me
    i love myself, so i could go on forever, but i wont...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I've decided to dredge up this thread (please don't hate me) because I think it's a thread worth seeing again and becauseit's one I never got around to posting in because my computer was somewhat temperamental at the time.

In my fifteen years:
    I've fallen in love,
    Hit the rock bottom when she didn't feel the same way,
    Beat that depression,
    I've realised I'm not better than everyone else,
    I've reformed my outlook on life after realising how immature and selfish I was,
    I've done my best to cultivate my creative side,
    I've decided I'm going to do good things for people with music,
    I've tried to come to terms with who I am and that I'm not perfect.

Wow, seems like more than I thought it'd be. I just wanted to get all that out and see what it looked like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭pinkpimp

Well Happy birthday first.

Now, what have I achieved?
    Satisfaction. I know it sounds arrogant, but its true. I think of this time last year and its amazing how different I was just twelve months ago. Ive set myself goals, and ignored them. In the last year though, I've become a believer in karma. So, I've wiped the proverbial slate clean. I don't hate people for no reason anymore. I don't alienate anyone, unless I'm given a spacific reason to do so. I try my best to avoid all violence towards others (although there have been a few slip ups). Anyway, the point is that I've never felt better. Without hate, there is no reason to feel anger or sadness, well, it's cut down anyway. Point is, try to cherish life as it is. You think you have the rest of your life to do things, but then your life erodes away. Also, you never know if that rest of your life is seventy years, or one day. So whatever you're doing, you've got to do it in the best possible way. For example, if I were to die tomorrow, I'd be perfectly satisfied with my life.

I see how cheezy i've been in this post so lets throw in some soundbites...
    No regrets...Live life to the full...Never miss a genuine opportunity...two wrongs don't make a right...theres no I in team (there is a me though)...Obey your thirst...Gilette, the best a man can get...etc...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭COCK

man ive never achieved anything.
    Im only 14, i got a ****load of time to achieve, but achieving is really hard.
    And in my view, doing something that makes you happy is an achievement, and everyone has their own turn-ons.

So in my view, do **** that makes you happy, and dont acknowledge the things that dont, cuz it will make you unhappy.

There is a flaw in this, because that means the entire male population of the world, and a chunk of females, would consider masturbation an achievement

(Ned Kelly was Irish)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭COCK

I do have one real achievement about weed

I once lit my hair on fire while smoking on the side of a road in a bush. It was the funniest event of my life, and i was so high it makes it ten times better.

I had a black, smelly fringe for an entire night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭skanger666

After 16 years on this planet, what i have "achieved" is as follows.
    Level 3 sailing
    Trapped myself in a deadend relationship which lasted 8months before i ended it
    International swimming galas at age 10 and under
    Being the only person of my generation in my family that hasnt broken a bone yet (bendy bones :P)
    well not much else really. Damn that's depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

COCK wrote:
    I do have one real achievement about weed

I once lit my hair on fire while smoking on the side of a road in a bush. It was the funniest event of my life, and i was so high it makes it ten times better.

I had a black, smelly fringe for an entire night.
    You're so hardcore. I wanna hang with you and play twister

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

I've realised I'm not better than everyone else,
    I've reformed my outlook on life after realising how immature and selfish I was,
    I've tried to come to terms with who I am and that I'm not perfect.

see, for me,
    i've realised i am better than everyone else :p
    i've reformed my outlook on life after realising how immature and selfish everyone else is
    and i've tried to come to terms with how great and amazing i am

sorry. i needed that. we all need an ego boost every once in a while

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I've owned 5 mobile phones since i was 13

Ummm, I've had 14 phones since I was 12. Is that very unusual then?

larry wrote:
    Ailbhe.... shy?

Yes, Ailbhe = Very shy, believe it or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Sunstorm

I've done a lot of things that come with certs and medals and other assorted crap but what I've done in the last twelve months has been a lot more important. I've learned to make friends and to keep them. I've learned to go out, to have fun, to take chances, to go to other places and interact with other people. Simply put, I've come out of my shell. And I owe it all to CTYI.

Advertisement