Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Bull Soap Box Race

Options
  • 04-04-2004 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭

Has anyone seen the ad's for the Red Bull Soap Box Race? It is taking place on the 20th of June on the most hellish of hills... St Patricks Hill. Considering the course is 250m long it must be the whole length of the hill.
    So I got the smart idea of perhaps entering it. The winning prize is a trip for the whole team (5) to the Brazilian Grand Prix in October. The problem is that I need a team of smart people to help me build a soap box! I have smarts but i need others with smarts so if you feel like winning please drop me a mail to emptierthan AT hotmail.com so we can put a team together.
    The time period for applications is from April 1st to May 1st.
    www.redbullsoapboxrace.ie for more info

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Hmmmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I'd be quite tempted... as long as I didn't end up being the driver :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

hehe, i will go driver if no one else wants to. I am young and things should heal at my age. Although i am only on a provisional licence :)

I weigh about... well, more than most. Might be good for building momentum. Padding comes preinstalled. :)

Seriously though, I'd say it'd be good craic but I'm just kinda mulling it over atm. Thinking my youngfella might enjoy being involved, and I wouldn't want to dilute the seriousness of the event for a team with an inexperienced pit member. :)

adam

if dad can teach him to spotweld like a pro, he's in :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Boardscork team?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Sounds cool. I'll be there to watch you get all the breaks and friction burns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

St Patricks Hill?????? Christ, I hope you get the length of the bridge to slow down! :eek:

Mike.

Originally posted by rymus
    if dad can teach him to spotweld like a pro, he's in :D
    LOL, dad hasn't spot welded in a decade. And he wasn't very good at it then either. :)

Originally posted by mike65
    St Patricks Hill?????? Christ, I hope you get the length of the bridge to slow down! :eek:

Mike.

Slow down? Balls to that.. Any decent driver would bury their speeding soapbox into a crowd of innocent onlookers, thereby stopping far quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Originally posted by rymus
    Slow down? Balls to that.. Any decent driver would bury their speeding soapbox into a crowd of innocent onlookers, thereby stopping far quicker.

Ah! Death Race 2000 rules! Of course. ;)

race.h3.jpg

Mike.

Quite... I mean if they plan to start from the very top of the hill (the very VERY steep part) you'd hit a tun by the time you reach the bottom :D Could make for an interesting day's viewing.

On a slightly more serious note - has the hill been
    resurfaced lately? I have'nt been up or down it for several years but I do recall it was pretty uneven and rutted in sections.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

saw the add for this on TV last night, looks like they make a course out of bales of hay that will zig-zag down the hill, i imagine it will only be near the bottom, theres no way they could use the top half of the hill, that was used to launch men into space in the sixties such is its steepness...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by comet
    saw the add for this on TV last night, looks like they make a course out of bales of hay that will zig-zag down the hill, i imagine it will only be near the bottom, theres no way they could use the top half of the hill, that was used to launch men into space in the sixties such is its steepness...

Yep, starting from the very top of the hill would be far too dangerous, with any bit of speed you'd be sent into orbit! I imagine that they will start it at the shallow part of the hill at the girls secondry school, that should give more than enough of a run up to build some speed up.

I walk to the top every day and my god i hope they do start from the top. So...Many...Injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Most mornings I see some champion who cycles all the way up the hill, what a hero is all i can say :)
    Unfortunately I mgiht not be able to attend the race because I will be at a gig in Dublin on the 18th of June and probably won't be back on time to get everything sorted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I hereby nominate DaveIrl as your replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Can't believe they're doing it on Patrick's Hill, the second someone hits a pothole they'll be ****ed, especially as I imagine a lot of the designs will be quite "unstable". Should be fun to watch. I forsee a lot of "Darwin" awards being given out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

Originally posted by mike65
    Ah! Death Race 2000 rules! Of course. ;)

race.h3.jpg

Mike.

Yeah, death race 2000 is brilliant. Especially stallone's gangster character, and remember the sacrificies on the road!!LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This is going to be just great. High speed carting down Patricks Hill. When I told a taxi driver the other night, he thought I was pulling the p*ss. I've got my protective barrier booked and I'll see you all there

Originally posted by dudara
    I've got my protective barrier booked and I'll see you all there
    Indeed, safe sex is going to be vitally important with all those pit babes about. :)

Babes? in Cork? only if the DreiSarahBund are there... The DreiSarahBund are 3 girls named Sarah in Bruce and HOLY GOD are they the finest/soundest girls ever

Yeah but girls from Bruce.... I'd rather shave my balls with a broken bottle before splashing em with cheap aftershave.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

Did anyone here enter an entry and if so, have you heard back yet and was it by post or email etc?

Today was the end of the successful entry notification period type thing and I haven't heard anything back so I'm guessing the design might not have made it...

Damn.... that must mean they didnt like my design for a racer made solely of beermats and glued together with my own bodily fluids. Ah well, off to pitch the idea to Ferrari instead...

• Advertisement

Man... That's a lotta fluid...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement