Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did Adam Have a Navel?

Options
  • 05-04-2004 1:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

This is a question referred to as the omphaloidean heresy, in late medieval Christianity.

It was later a major philisophical debate over the alleged conflict between science and theology, or more to the point the creationist theories arising from Biblical Genesis and the perceived flaws in evolutionary theory.

The consequences of this seemingly trivial are quite important.

If Adam didn't have a navel, then he wasn't human. He was theologically speaking,a different species to mankind, so his and eve's sins could hardly be transferred to mankind. The imperfect world couldn't be blamed on man, seeing as the world was set up imperfectly to begin with.

If Adam DID have a navel, then God set up the world to look like it had a histroy predating creation. Adam had a navel even though it was never attached to an umbilical chord. The trees in teh Garden of Eden probably had rings accounting for seasons that never happened, there would have been decaying leaved making up soil and sedement and fossils......

So if the world looks like it is older than the time allowed by the bible, surely its as easy to believe that it is older, seeing as thats the way God obviously wanted it. That means though that the inconsistent fossil records that are cited in debunking evolutionary theory is actually finding flaws and inconsistancy in Gods creation......

As you can see, this simple question caused theological havoc.... and whileits not as important today, it still is a question not easily regarded by many creationists....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Seamie

Ok, but if Adam and Eve didn't have navels, and their kids did, then obviously a navel was a genetic mutation in the kids. Now, I don't know biology and whatnot well enough to know how big a difference it takes to be classified as a different species, but if you were arguing to defend original sin, then even if Adam's descendants were genetically another species, they'd still be his direct descendants, and so liable for original sin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by Seamie
    Ok, but if Adam and Eve didn't have navels, and their kids did, then obviously a navel was a genetic mutation in the kids. Now, I don't know biology and whatnot well enough to know how big a difference it takes to be classified as a different species, but if you were arguing to defend original sin, then even if Adam's descendants were genetically another species, they'd still be his direct descendants, and so liable for original sin...

Biologically, you wouldn't see umbilical chords appear over a generation, it would have to occur over hundreds of generations. In biology you would have quite a few intermediate states between any to evolutionary species. Either way, you still have a different species seeing as Adam and Eve would not be the same creature as the rest of man kind.

But if Adam's decendents ae not the same as man, then how can man how can mankind be blamed? Adam was obviously a less advanced creature. he was version 1.1 everyone else is version 2.01. How can the sins of a primative version of mankind be transferred to all oteh rmen who are more advanced?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

you know, when i saw the title to this, i thought, hes takin the piss, right, but this is actuallly a very interesting debate...:D

its impossible to answer IMO, without alot of ifs and buts... for example, perhaps Adam was the result of some kind of cosmic birth... he was born through god as you and i are through woman, therefore he had a navel, but it wasnt as a result of god trying to fool the world into believing a false age... as i said, alot of ifs and buts (and, tbh, not something Id really believe, just like the actual story of Adam and Eve... didnt the church just say it was a metaphor?), but given that my faith is not exactly the strongest, nor am I the most read in Biology, Archeology or Religion, Im not going to even attempt to give a more rational answer.

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

But if as you say Flogen Adam was born of god as we are of woman, then wouldn't he be the son of god and therefore Jesus couldn't be right?

And the son of God could hardly have been capable of original sin?

And if he was born of God then God mustn't be male?

Originally posted by flogen
    you know, when i saw the title to this, i thought, hes takin the piss, right, but this is actuallly a very interesting debate...:D

its impossible to answer IMO, without alot of ifs and buts... for example, perhaps Adam was the result of some kind of cosmic birth... he was born through god as you and i are through woman, therefore he had a navel, but it wasnt as a result of god trying to fool the world into believing a false age...

Ok then, if thats the case, did the trees in the garden of eden have rings?
    Was the soil made of the decay of leaves from trees that had previously existed or not?

• Advertisement

good points amz... thats exactly why Im not even going to try and make a guess at this...

as for rthe rings on the trees.... I dunno..does the bible mention it? its impossible for me to answer that, id just be guessing

ok, how about this... adam was missing a navel, and so you refer to him as unhuman, as the navel is a part of the human body. what about people born with no arm, or leg or genitalia?? are they not human?

Flogen

That's a genetic mutation, Adam having no naval is not a mutation.

whats the difference? define mutation and evolution, and show how a lack of a navel is related to evolution, and how a lack of an arm is a mutation?

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Originally posted by Amz
    And if he was born of God then God mustn't be male?

You say that like an all powerful "god" who created the universe couldn’t just click its fingers and create a human? Why does it have to be male or female?

Meh it’s all bull**** anyway tbh :) we evolved some all powerful god thing didn’t create us

I made that point bizmark in response to Flogen's point about Adam being born of God as we are of a woman.

There was no mention of finger clicking there.... Id not have made that point if he hadn't likened it to our own births.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Ah sorry amz i didnt read flog's post (doh)

Adam would have been created without a naval, therefore in "god's" eyes he would have been genetically perfect it wouldn't have been a mutation.

A missing arm is a mutation people wouldn't evolve with missing arms unless it was beneficial to their survival etc.
    Like syke has already stated the umbilical chord would have developed over many generations. It didn't just appear in Adam's immediate descendants.

Originally posted by bizmark
    Ah sorry amz i didnt read flog's post (doh)

No prob :)

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong, but we have anvel because we were attatched to an umbilical cord, right? so if onehad never been attached to an umbilical cord, would one have a navel? Ok, we'd have the genes for it, but if an umbilical cord had never been attached, then would a navel have developed?

Why would Adam have posessed the genetic material to provide his offspring with something he never needed and had so far not proved to be advantagous?

And if Eve was created using a rib from Adam why would she carry that genetic material?

good point seamie... given that the navel is useless to us after birth, then Adam, being someone who was never born, would have no need for one, but as has been said, would have the genes so that his child would have one.

and if the umbilical cord had to evolve over generations, how did kane and able survive in the womb?? theyd starve without an umbilical cord

Flogen

How do you know that Kane and Able were born in the same way as you or I?

Insofar as they would have had an umbilical chord?

I don't it's mentioned anywhere that they had a naval...

Originally posted by Amz
    Why would Adam have posessed the genetic material to provide his offspring with something he never needed and had so far not proved to be advantagous?

And if Eve was created using a rib from Adam why would she carry that genetic material?

IF you believe in creationism (And to be honest I don't, but i'm playing devil's advocate) then God could have supplied Adam with the genetic material because He knew Adam's off-spring would need it. The great ineffible plan and all that.

could you please explain to me so, how they were born? and when exactly humans began to be born in the way we know??

and what seamie said.... as he had no need for a navel, he wasnt given one, however his children did need one, and he had the correct human genes to provide one

Flogen

could you please explain to me so, how they were born? and when exactly humans began to be born in the way we know??

and what seamie said.... as he had no need for a navel, he wasnt given one, however his children did need one, and he had the correct human genes to provide one

Flogen

OK, but two things.

This is based on a model for darwinian evolution (although a one generation change wouldn't be) that gives you afossil record that debunks the theory of creationism. You can't have it both ways.

Even still, it'd be a separate species.

• Advertisement

ok, we'll go with darwin for now... or i will anyway.
    so if adam was born without a navel, when did the modern human form come into being? and how did the people inbetween carry children and feed them without the ubilical cord?

how could adam not have just been made with a navel anyway? and why would that instance HAVE to mean the trees and dirt was made to look older?

Flogen

Why would God make things with navals etc which are utterly useless and serve no purpose?

Why would God have made something which would have been, as such, imperfect?

it would serve a purpose, as a provision for future generations, while Adam did not need it, his children would, therefore he did indirectly need it in order to further the human race.

and it would be actual perfection, as a human body without a navel is imperfect, as it is imcomplete

Flogen

ok, we'll go with darwin for now... or i will anyway.
    so if adam was born without a navel, when did the modern human form come into being? and how did the people inbetween carry children and feed them without the ubilical cord?

how could adam not have just been made with a navel anyway? and why would that instance HAVE to mean the trees and dirt was made to look older?

Flogen

Read the initial post flogen.

If Adam has a navel, which would be perfectly fine, it mean sthat god made Adam look like he was born of a womb.

Which means it looked as if there was a "before creation" so even if he didn't give the tree's rings and made the dirt from decomposed foliage (andin this case he was iinconsitant and the garden itself was untrue to nature), adam still looked to have a prehistory.

Now, science estimates the earth at being older than the bible and creationism tells us. So like Adam, we could assume that God wanted it to look that way. but then, the discrepencies in the earths age and fossil record are the main arguements to disprove darwinian evolution. In making these arguments you are highlighting a flaw in gods work...... its a paradox of sorts.

I don't see why though, if Adam had the genes that would allow the development of a navel, but no actual navel itself, since one never grew, that he's counted as a different species from humans with navels. I mean, genetically he's the same, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

hahahahaha

God made Adam in his own image

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Amz
    Why would God have made something which would have been, as such, imperfect?
    Well he made man didn't he? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Did Adam Have a Navel?

no.

adam.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I do computer science and follow scientific trends in general. One of these trends is that in order to create a system that is self-repairing and highly adaptable, the best way to go about creating it is using a model based on evolution (this is still in its infancy, but it is considered the way to go). Hmmm, a self-repairing and highly adaptable system, sound familiar? :) It's entirely likely that God, advanced hunk of love that he is (I hope sycophants get into heaven :p) used evolution as a means to developing humans. Now if only there was evidence hinting to this ;)

In response to the "Did Adam have a navel?" question, define Adam. Is he the first modern human? (that's hard to pin down as there would have been a gradual progression). Is he the first human to have a soul? (If we're going on the Christian assumption that animals don't have souls). Was he the first life form to split into male and female allowing sexual reproduction?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Auburn

Seamie - navels aren't developed. You don't need genes for their development. They're something you have since birth if you were born of a womb, due to the cutting away of the umbilical cord.

Therefore, what people are trying to say is: if Adam didn't have a navel, then he wasn't attached to an umbilical cord and wasn't born of a womb. One of the fundamental characteristics of the human species is that they were carried in their mother's womb and fed through an umbilical cord. If this wasn't the case with Adam, then he couldn't have been human as we know it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement