Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems accessing websites with Eircom Broadband

• 05-04-2004 1:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭vgar

Is anyone else having problems accessing certain websites today with Eircom's broadband service?

For example, I can't open www.hotmail.com among many others!!!!

Does anyone know what could be wrong?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

im on eircom dsl and have no problems at all accessing it
    so iv no idea what could be wrong for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭vgar

Cheers for testing that for me.

I was hoping it was just something with the broadband service. I've not got a clue what it is in that case?! I'm very baffled.

Anyone else have any ideas???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

is it a DNS issue? can you ping www.hotmail.com?

are you using a proxy?

.cg

Just to give a little more info...

When I type in the URL address for say hotmail.com or doteasy.com somtimes the page won't do anything at all and then the other times it will bring me to the MSN search page.
    I am entering the right URL though, because on the MSN search page it lists all the sites that I could have been looking for, one of them being hotmail.com and then even when I click on that the page with either do nothing or just load the MSN search page again.

This has been happening all day and I'm really at a loss at what could be wrong...

HI CG, thanks for that.

I just tried to ping www.hotmail.com through the command prompt and it said "Request timed out".

Not sure about the proxy, don't think so, but not sure.

• Advertisement

maybe try restarting the router

Er, how do I restart the router?

I've unplugged all the cables, restarted my PC and plugged them back in. After that I have not got a clue what to do! :-(

it u use the router eircom supply go to http://192.168.1.254/
    and click restart its in the top right hand corner

Cheers for that link, I've just gone in now and restarted it, but unfortunately I'm still having the same problem. Tried pinging the sites as well and it keeps coming back "Request timed out".

Any other ideas?

Cheers for that suggestion though!

well hotmail have disabled pinging so you should'nt be able to ping it
    maybe something is wrong with ie
    try a differnt browser like firefox
    http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/0.8/FirefoxSetup-0.8.exe

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you tried disabling any firewall you may be running? In case it has gone a bit mad and created a whole lot of rules all of its own?

Cheers for all your help people.

It seems to be working again now. I didn't do anything else to it though to make it work. Very wierd.

Thanks again though! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Very weird indeed.. am on eirom dsl off terenure and have had no probs, maybe it was an issue (such as contention) on your exchange... next time you could try a traceroute ... "tracert www.boards.ie" for e.g. and you should see *'s at the trouble point.

.cg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Originally posted by Angel Clumsy Wrongdoing
    ...I reckon a cable was knocked out during a frenzied high-five session at Eircom following their sabotage of IOL and UTV.

:D Whoa !
    You'll be hearing from their lawyers ! :D

On a more serious note, my UTV connection was doing the exact same thing, some sites like google & ebay would not load without the use of a UTV proxy, pings terrible and d/l's bad also, I believe it was a cross-network problem that Eircom were only gonna get around to fix today (Monday)

Problem had gone away by 7am Sunday. I reckon a cable was knocked out during a frenzied high-five session at Eircom following their sabotage of IOL and UTV.

Can you prove this claim? And can you explain why Esat are prepared to admit the fault was theirs in the light of your claim?

Why make it then? boards is full of false accusations against Eircom so the whole thing becomse devalued. If Eircom are misbehaving and people have details then by all means publicise it otherwise it juts becomes a pointless fog.

And when you think about it making such claims takes the heat of the people who are at fault as in this case Esat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Originally posted by dub45
    Why make it then? boards is full of false accusations against Eircom so the whole thing becomse devalued. If Eircom are misbehaving and people have details then by all means publicise it otherwise it juts becomes a pointless fog.

And when you think about it making such claims takes the heat of the people who are at fault as in this case Esat.

Easy tiger!

I thought it was quite funny.... I'm at the point now with UTV that all I can really do is sit back and wait, and if someone can make me smile about it, the good one!.

:p

There are other ways to make a person smile surely than baseless allegations against a company even if they happen to be Eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭iano

Before you get too worried about poor old Eircom, remember that they have had to be dragged kicking and screaming to the point where we have the ADSL service that we have today.

Despite examples of how to provide wholesale ADSL from across Europe, Eircom have deliberately designed a product with damn all technical support and seemingly no penalties for failing to deliver on Service Levels.

A UTV manager actually managed to keep a straight face and tell me that they send their fault reports to Eircom via an e-mail attachment and that it takes at least 5 working days for the e-mail to be acknowledged.

If this is true, then it is shockingly inefficient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by vgar
    Just to give a little more info...

When I type in the URL address for say hotmail.com or doteasy.com somtimes the page won't do anything at all and then the other times it will bring me to the MSN search page.
    I am entering the right URL though, because on the MSN search page it lists all the sites that I could have been looking for, one of them being hotmail.com and then even when I click on that the page with either do nothing or just load the MSN search page again

83.70.64.* Ip addresses had an issue a while back with routing as far as I remember. Some sites were not accessible from that IP range. I rang corporate support about this issue after clients were not able to access certain sites while connected to the enhanced 2meg line, all they got was the msn dns error page. They say the problem has been fixed, but knowing eircom.....

There is a workaround, setup your browser to use a proxy server, webcache.eircom.net port 82

• Advertisement

Point taken.

Eircom have no culpability in this matter since it hasn't been their policy of inertia which left Ireland trailing in the wake of Western Europe regarding broadband (or even flat-rate dialup) provision, it certainly hasn't been the decrepitude of their network which has led to so many reliability or unavailability issues nor indeed their occasional reliance on sellotape and Alcan foil to make telephone line repairs.

You're right - actually this IS funnier.

And the difference between your two posts is the latter one is true the first one wasnt simple as that. You might also point out that we are all at fault in that we elected a government that privatised a resouce that under no circumstances should have been privatised and then stood by while in the first instance it was appalling run and in the second instance taken private and bled dry by already ultra wealthy people.

Advertisement