Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finally Getting BB my line fails..after passing for months

Options
  • 05-04-2004 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭

I finally decided to go ahead and get BB today after months of thinking about it and weighing up the different packages, and months of reading these great boards which I never posted too until now.

Anyway I have been regularly checking my line and it has always passed since mid last year, I am on the Navan exchange. Then today I go to order BB and it tells me my line has failed:confused:

I then go and check on eircoms & esats sites just in case the databases wasn't updated and it still fails, I was under the impression that the line requirements for broadband had become a little slacker rather than more stringent.

What is it with this country and Broadband.

Oh well I guess I'll be in 56k for a while until my line passes again although I am on a BB enabled exchange in a New housing estate so the quality of the copper line should be up to scratch.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The exact same thing happened to me, however I was able to sort it. This may or may not work for you, but it is worth trying.

You see one of the things that can cause you to fail a line test is bad internal wiring, or dodgy phone equipment in your house. What I did was:

1) Disconnect all phone equipemnt (phones, fax, modem, etc.), with the exception of one, bug standard, Eircom phone, which I left plugged into the primary phone plug in the house.
    2) When I was out of the house (at work) and at night, I used to even unplug this phone.
    3) I left it this way for 5 weeks (Eircom retest the lines once a month, but no one knows when) and I kept checking the online checker.
    (in fact I only had to do this for 3 weeks).
    4) After all this my line passed again and I got bb. I put all my phone equipment back on, except one modem splitter that I thing was damaged and caused my line to fail in the first palce.

Good luck.

Advertisement