Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clicksilver Speeds

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Originally posted by dub45
    Given whats beeen reported in the Esat thread I think this will take a few days at least before everything is back to normal.

Noooooooooooooooooooo :( this IS normal ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by dub45
    this will take a few days at least before everything is back to normal.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by Kramer
    I think it's pretty obvious why UTV FORCED people to commit for another 12 months.
    You were FORCED into a new contract, were you?
    All the while still paying €47.50 to UTV for this crap.
    Evidently not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Subc

Everytime i try to download something on DC++, like at 35kb it just goes down to 0kb/sec. This is for every single download with every file is anybody else having this problem not necessarily with DC++

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

pucking Abysmal!!!!!!!!!!

Bandwith Place

101.5 kilobits per second

Communications 101.5 kilobits per second
    Storage 12.4 kilobytes per second
    1MB file download 1.4 minutes
    Subjective rating Mediocre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Just about 56k standard right now. Really hope this gets sorted soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

Originally posted by oscarBravo
    You were FORCED into a new contract, were you? Evidently not.

Did I say I was forced into a new contract? Evidently not :D .

The choice was:

1. Recommit for another 12 months (of this fantastic service :D ) for a lower rate or,

2. Continue to pay an exorbitant monthly fee untill the end of my current contract (again, for this fantastic "10 times faster than dialup, always on" broadband connection).

I chose the latter.

I can't really complain though. €47.50 for 4.5KB download speed, pings measured in seconds (rather than miliseconds), 25% packet loss & constant disconnects.

All in all, a great service & well worth the monthly payment.

NOT.

Kramer they all suck, every ISP stinks, if it's bad service or just the speed and cap.
    Not also are the speeds lame compared to other ISPs in Europe but it also doesn't work correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Subc
    Kramer they all suck, every ISP stinks, if it's bad service or just the speed and cap.

I see no complaints from Esat Business or Eircom users... Eircom seem to have a fantastic DSL offering despite the cap & price. Big surprise that is :p

Did I say I was forced into a new contract? Evidently not :D .
    Can you name anyone who was?
    The choice was: [...] I chose the latter.
    I'm aware of what the choices were. Everyone was offered a choice, and everyone chose one or the other. I don't recall hearing about anyone who was forced to choose a new contract.

• Advertisement

Rymus fantastic here is when it works, when u pay every month its for a product thats supposed to work now working or not that has nothing to do with it what does it the speeds we are getting and the cap and the price. But what tops it all off is it just doesn't work good enough so thats just bad broadband service :)

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

geecee : I agree with you about holding back on paying the monthly fee for clicksilver.
    I just ran a giganews test: 205 kbps....not good enough!
    I've suffered a whole month of pings ranging from 65kbps to 403kbps with apparently no rhyme or reason(time of day etc_).

I'm heartily sick of this now...what ARE we paying for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Can you name anyone who was? I'm aware of what the choices were. Everyone was offered a choice, and everyone chose one or the other. I don't recall hearing about anyone who was forced to choose a new contract.

I think the point he's making is that unlike IOL and Eircom, UTV are forcing their customers to commit to a new contract if they want the savings that UTV are making at wholesale level to be passed onto the UTV subscribers.

I don't recall hearing about anyone who was forced to choose a new contract.

What would you call charging someone €17.50 per month (me for instance) more that they should for not recommiting?

Pay 58% more for our service unless you recommit.

IMO, that's basically "forcing" people to recommit.

Why haven't Eircom & others done this? In fact, UTV are the only ISP to adopt this policy.

If they were confident people would stay with them because of their quality of service & support, they could have just applied the new charges (same as everyone else).

Nope, I think you're onto a looser here.

I congradulate everyone with 200kb download speeds & sub 200ms pings. I'm struggling with 4kBs & pings are now 450-800ms. That's of course calculated from the returned packets. Currently averaging 25% packet loss.

Direct debit now being cancelled (if I can do this).

Originally posted by daveyjoe
    unlike IOL and Eircom, UTV are forcing their customers to commit to a new contract if they want the savings that UTV are making at wholesale level to be passed onto the UTV subscribers.

That's it, in a nutshell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You only commited a new contract if you took the high speed option.

Originally posted by Hobbes

Incorrect.

"Migrating" (what UTV claim) to either "new" package means a new 12 month contract.

Originally posted by Hobbes

emmm? High-speed? I presume you mean the lower contention (higher cap) package.
    Whichever package you choose, you are automatically signing up for another 12 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Mork

"Migrating" hummm, yes I think so.... To a different ISP!!!

I've had enough of UTV, not really bothered who's fault it is anymore, be it Esat, Eircom or whoever I've had enough of all the excuses, I've paid for a service and I'm not getting what I paid for, so I am voting with my feet... Sorry UTV

-Mork

BTW: My contract is to run until October this year so I will have to engage in some debate with UTV before bailing out.

What would you call charging someone €17.50 per month (me for instance) more that they should for not recommiting?
    The same thing you already called it - a choice.
    Pay 58% more for our service unless you recommit.
    Or, more accurately, pay what you already agreed to pay, or recommit and get a cheaper service.
    IMO, that's basically "forcing" people to recommit.
    IMO, that's basically "encouraging" people to recommit.
    Why haven't Eircom & others done this? In fact, UTV are the only ISP to adopt this policy.
    They're also the only ISP to offer DSL for under €30/month.
    If they were confident people would stay with them because of their quality of service & support, they could have just applied the new charges (same as everyone else).
    I think they're confident people will stay with them because they're cheaper than everyone else.
    Nope, I think you're onto a looser here.
    Me? I don't care either way.

• Advertisement

Kramer-
    This is turning into a tit for tat kind of thread, so I'll try not to repeat myself.

I agree with you that UTV's prices are good but this is how I see it:
    When I signed up for Clicksilver (6 months ago), The 12 month contract was justified because UTV had to cover the costs of setting up my Broadband connection. Any customers that have signed up for the new €29.99 package should also be subject to the 12 month contract, to ensure that UTV are not left shortchanged.
    But...
    There is absoloutely no justification for asking existing customers to sign another 12 month contract. My two options are:

* Commit to a further 12 months for a service which currently looks far behind par and which has outstanding issues which may never be fixed
    or..
    * Choose to give (or donate) €17.50 to UTV, while they reap the benefits of a lower wholesale rate and pass none of the benefits on to their existing customers who decided that recommiting was not an option at the current quality of service

Kramer- Which of the above would you choose?

What happened to a bit of goodwill from UTV, if the quality of the service provided was up to scratch then customers would not feel the need to switch ISP's. UTV are using this contract to ensure that despite their below par service levels, the money will keep rolling in.

Originally posted by Mork
    "Migrating" hummm, yes I think so.... To a different ISP!!!

I've had enough of UTV, not really bothered who's fault it is anymore, be it Esat, Eircom or whoever I've had enough of all the excuses, I've paid for a service and I'm not getting what I paid for, so I am voting with my feet... Sorry UTV

-Mork

Just out of interest, how many months are left on your contract?

Kramer-
    This is turning into a tit for tat kind of thread, so I'll try not to repeat myself.
    [I'll be so bold as to assume this was meant to be addressed to me.]
    I agree with you that UTV's prices are good but this is how I see it:
    When I signed up for Clicksilver (6 months ago), The 12 month contract was justified because UTV had to cover the costs of setting up my Broadband connection. Any customers that have signed up for the new €29.99 package should also be subject to the 12 month contract, to ensure that UTV are not left shortchanged.
    But...
    There is absoloutely no justification for asking existing customers to sign another 12 month contract.
    The problem with your argument is the assumption that the wholesale price reduction is sufficient to make sure that your setup costs are covered in the event that you get the reduced retail price, but jump ship once your contract is up.
    My two options are:

* Commit to a further 12 months for a service which currently looks far behind par and which has outstanding issues which may never be fixed
    or..
    * Choose to give (or donate) €17.50 to UTV, while they reap the benefits of a lower wholesale rate and pass none of the benefits on to their existing customers who decided that recommiting was not an option at the current quality of service

strike]Kramer[/strike oscarBravo- Which of the above would you choose?
    I honestly couldn't say. I don't think I'd complain about a problem I didn't have - being forced into something. Which is the only reason I posted in this thread.
    What happened to a bit of goodwill from UTV, if the quality of the service provided was up to scratch then customers would not feel the need to switch ISP's. UTV are using this contract to ensure that despite their below par service levels, the money will keep rolling in.
    I don't know what UTV's motives are, but I'm sure chief among them is a desire not to lose money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

Speeds are back to normal i think. Was playing BFV and i was getting pings between 60 and 70 on average. Still not as good as our IOL and Eircom buddies with their low to mid 30's however.

Kramer- Which of the above would you choose?

Well, I have chosen. I'm currently paying €47.50 as I haven't signed a new contract.

TBH I'd rather pay €60 p/month for a working, reliable service. At the moment, I may as well chuck my €47.50 in the river.

Why do people assume those unwilling to "recommit" are going to "jump ship" when their contracts expire? If UTV provided what they promised (relaible, always on, high speed internet access) at either €30 or €45 p/month, I'm sure they won't see many (happy) customers leave.

Am I happy I'm paying €17.50 more than other for the same service? No.
    Am I happy I haven't recommited? Yes.

UTV's "Code of Practice" makes for interesting reading:

http://www.utvclicksilver.com/code.asp

:D

Why do people assume those unwilling to "recommit" are going to "jump ship" when their contracts expire?
    It's not a question of assuming that. My assumption is that if a customer who is unwilling to recommit did get the price reduction and jumped ship, UTV would lose money on the deal, and are therefore - unsurprisingly - unwilling to create the circumstances where that could come about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

UTV's "Code of Practice" makes for interesting reading:
    http://www.utvclicksilver.com/code.asp
    :D

ROFLMAO , hehe , that was a laugh , lighten up this thread a bit .

Do all of ye post on the newsgroup aswell ? , if not , ye should .

As a matter of no interest I also have not moved over to a new contract , I would do if the service warranted it .

John.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Oscarbravo , are you a Clicksilver customer ?

[I'll be so bold as to assume this was meant to be addressed to me.]

Yeah, I meant you, sorry, I'm stupid. :)

Oscarbravo-

The truth of the matter is that I will probably (reluctantly) sign up for another 12 months, because I have had many good days with UTV (particularly on their dial-up product), I just don't like the way UTV are going about tying down their existing customers.

I'm not going to post anymore on this matter because I'm just labouring on the same points.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by jonski
    Oscarbravo , are you a Clicksilver customer ?
    Nope. Note that I'm not commenting on the quality of the ClickSilver service, only on the suggestion that someone, somewhere was forced into a new contract.

Advertisement