Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giggs better now than Ronaldinho

• 05-04-2004 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

I think that United were blessed by not getting Ronaldinho during the summer - I still think that Giggs is a far better player at this point in time. Any views?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭ebowdia

For starters - Ronny has the tricks, Giggs has the end product. Also think that Giggs is more effective and direct....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭iasc

being a united supported, i can honestly say that ronaldihno is a better player at the moment, having seen loads of the barca games this year he has being amazing, the stuff he can do, although he didnt play great against celtic or ireland, he's being more consistent than giggs

I think Giggs is more of a team player though. Ronny has the flicks and all the fancy touches, but do they pay off? There is no one like Giggs in the game, not even now, to pick up the ball, run at defences, send in a decent cross, and work for the team. United would be lost without him....

ronaldihno isnt just about the flicks, hes brilliant, and most of the times his things do pay off, hes a much better player than giggs at the moment

Do you thing Giggs is past his best?

• Advertisement

I do yeah, he is still capable of playing his best, but his form fluctuates alot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭bdiddy

Originally posted by ebowdia
    I think that United were blessed by not getting Ronaldinho during the summer - I still think that Giggs is a far better player at this point in time. Any views?
    'bollox to that, utd were stupid not to buy Ronnie, hes f*ck!n class. He creates so many opportunities and even if Giggs is slightly ahead of him as a team player atm Ronaldiniho is still only 24/25, Giggs isn't.

It's 'rumured' that Giggs could be moving on in the summer - how much do you think he would go for considering he will be 31 later in the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭lad12

Yeah but utd were buying him to replace Becks nots giggs..insted they paid £12million for Ronaldo...yis cud have gotten Ronaldinho for an extra £8million...and yis probably would have won the league..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

haha, no

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Needed to sign a big player, dont think Ronaldinho was the right one tho...

He has done well for Barce but tends to drift out of games by times, giggs in his prime wouldnt have done this. Unfair and silly to compare them now. Giggs was probably at his best in the treble year, very effective outlet for united's counter.

john

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Originally posted by ebowdia

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha :):):):)

thanks i needed a good laugh!!

do you watch spanish football? Do you know who ronaldinhino is??

he is the most entertaining forward in the world at the moment, every game i see him in he always does somthing new! and hes got, i think 11 goals this season!

super player. united are so tight fisted its unreal, they should have got him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Right now Ronaldinho is definitely better at what he does. I'm not sure if he was the perfect choice of player for United but he would definitely have improved their performance this season.

In my opinion Giggs has been inconsistent and below par for a few seasons now compared to what he has done over the years. He plays reasonably well in most games and occasionally for a spell of a four or five games hits form. When he really hits form he'll win United every game for that purple patch. The rest of the time he's just a decent midfielder.

As for United not getting Ronaldinho, I think it was obvious that he wanted to got to a big spanish team before an english one. He'd have disliked both the north england climate and the kind of physicial treatment he'd have gotten in the premiership. he's a Brazillian and as such speaks Portugese and will adapt to speaking Spanish a lot more quickly to English. Culturally the Catalan region is a lot closer to Brazil than England (we're talking orders of magnitude here). Barcelona's pay structure is probably a lot better for him and Spanish tax laws have many loop holes that assist foreign players.

And to top it all off Barcelona will probably be spending somewhere around the €150m mark on players over the next two years.

If I were Ronaldinho I probably wouldn't have considered United for more than a few minutes given all the factors. And I'm sure they made a lovely bargaining chip in the contract negotiations.

Do you thing that Giggs is ,or ever was true 'world class', or just a very good midfielder/winger?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

giggs is well past his best imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

Ronaldinho is a good bit better than him at this point in Giggs' career - it would have been very tight when Giggs was at his peak. He's still a fantastic player and even though he plays for United, probably one of my fave non-Arsenal players to watch on the ball.

Past his best maybe, but still worth 10 million or so surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

They were talking about a 8million deal to Barca maybe, that sounds about right.
    He's still a quality player - when I saw the topic title originally I thought it said Giggs vs Ronaldo and he's still streets ahead of the younger winger imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

10 million for a 31 one year old!!
    5 would do it

He still has pace though and seems to have a good engine - he could play for another 4-5 seasons as long as his hamstrings hold out....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

Different styles so its hard to say but Ronaldinho will gain more respect for his style. I don't think he was bought to replace Giggs anyway, more to fill Scholes' role allowing him to play alongside Keane.

Anyway according to Utd sources Kenyon messed that deal up, hardly their fault. I'm sure he had chelski on his mind or something,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭TheC0CK

Ronaldinho is a legend. He should have gone to Utd but Kenyon ****ed up. If the man wants a helicopter, give the man a helicopter. he is a God. Ok he is ugly according to most people, but he is better looking than most the people who say he is. Pretty funny actually. The guy is an amazing footballer and is better than Giggs in the Att Mid position but he is not better than him on the left wing. Giggs OWNS the left wing. Ze Roberto and Duff are not far behind but Ronaldinho is unstoppable as an Att Mid.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by TheC0CK
    Ronaldinho is a legend. He should have gone to Utd but Kenyon ****ed up. If the man wants a helicopter, give the man a helicopter. he is a God. Ok he is ugly according to most people, but he is better looking than most the people who say he is. Pretty funny actually. The guy is an amazing footballer and is better than Giggs in the Att Mid position but he is not better than him on the left wing. Giggs OWNS the left wing. Ze Roberto and Duff are not far behind but Ronaldinho is unstoppable as an Att Mid.
    Originally posted by Ronaldo7
    ye but Ronaldinho is a God. He is my favourite player in the world along with Ronaldo(the real one :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I have to agree with Kaids. Its no coincidence that Thec0ck posts in the exact same forums as Ronaldo7, supports the same team and players, posts the exact same topics, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭TheC0CK

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I also consider him a God, unreal unreal unreal skill and incredibly fast feet.

Anyone else hear the Giggs to Barca rumours?
    Trade?
    Ron not happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 doozerjack

Right now I'd say Giggs is the better player, but obviously his days are numbered, I'd take the swap but for that reason only.
    Preferably keep the two of them. Giggs, Ron&Ron, Scholes, and Van. No more blanks.

have u seen ronaldihno this season doozerjack, he's being insprirational...a game-winner, its proabably because of him..and davids that barca went on that brilliant winning streak in la liga...you couldnt say that giggs has given many match-winning performances this year...the best giggs played this year was against stuttgart at trafford, but i think ronaldihno..is consistently putting in top performances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭alfie

I cant believe what im hearing here its ridiculous to say giggs is better than Ronaldihno, giggs has been consistently inconsistent for the past number of years. I'd say if United had got ronaldihno at the start of the season they would still be challenging Arsenal for the premiership

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

being a neutral I would have loved to see ronaldihno in the prem.

I think he is a better player than giggs, *but* I think he would be quite a handfull to manage, and given the amount of distractions ManU (and sir Alex) have had this season, it is probably for the best that he didn't come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of criticism Giggs gets. I think he is a great player who scares the sh*t out of opposition defences. You cannot really compare him and Ronaldinho because they play different games in different leagues. Me personally as a United fan I hope Giggs finishes his career at Old Trafford, and I think he deserves to. I also think he along with Scholes and RVN have been consistently performing well for United all season and the three of them now have a very good understanding with each other. Every summer since Ince went to Inter, giggs has been linked with there too, and usually one other Italian club too.

Advertisement