Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your weapon of choice (for webdesign)

Options
  • 05-04-2004 2:10pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Personally I use flash, as I have a fear of html for some reason (ive heard its easy enough, but I dont want to know)

Id be interested in finding out what you all use for webdesign... and why..
    I do intend on learning Dreamweaver soon..... one day... but not for a long time....:D

Flogen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

I would be lost without dreamweaver. It simplifies everything and helps you create fast-loading dynamic sites that load 10 times quicker than a flash site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

Notepad, Frontpage, a little Flash (actually haven't any sites thta use it at the mo though).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Macromedia HomeSite rules :cool:

I used to use Dreamweaver a lot and I think its the best of the wsyiwyg editors but I find HomeSite better if you are working on .php or .asp files or using a lot of css.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Photoshop 7, Image Ready
    and Dreamweaver MX 2004 (amazing app, if you are into CSS, then you will LOVE this)

and a bit of Flash MX too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Dreamweaver MX2004 for dynamic websites + AdopePhotoshop7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Battle Axe....

Oh wait sorry :rolleyes:

Visual Studio.net & Macromedia Studio MX

I smell :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Photoshop, Notepad-written CSS and a good knowledge of basic arithmetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

gVim, Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

photoshop, dreamweaver, fireworks and sometimes a bit of imageready. Depends on what kinda mood I'm in. I'll have to get some graphic design skills though... and perhaps some flash skills while I'm at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Fergal C

Dreamweaver MX, I graduated from FrontPage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Allaire Homesite (it's Macromedia owned now but I'm so cheap I'm still using my month long trial edition)

Adobe Photoshop + Imageready.

I despise Frontpage and have yet to see a really good site that was designed on it. I'm not a big fan of Dreamweaver either but there you go.

Originally posted by Jeff_Lebowski
    I despise Frontpage and have yet to see a really good site that was designed on it. I'm not a big fan of Dreamweaver either but there you go.

Oh please, design is down to the individual creating, not the tool they use.

True, but I hate Frontpage also, it ads crap tags that no one wants...but as for dreamweaver, I really think that is a good tool, I don't know why you would complain, it doesn't add or alter your code

Originally posted by buddy
    Oh please, design is down to the individual creating, not the tool they use.
    If you use Frontpage, you are the tool.

That's probably a bit harsh. But to be honest, no matter how good your site looks, if you've used Frontpage to create it you're really ignoring the craft of web design. Your code will be sloppy, your page will be slow to load.

And, of course, you probably aren't using web standards effectively. This would be a good idea. It is, after all, the way forward.

Originally posted by Webmonkey
    True, but I hate Frontpage also, it ads crap tags that no one wants...but as for dreamweaver, I really think that is a good tool, I don't know why you would complain, it doesn't add or alter your code

If thats your only complaint, you can set it so it doesn't alter your code - which I have done.

Originally posted by JustHalf
    If you use Frontpage, you are the tool.

That's probably a bit harsh. But to be honest, no matter how good your site looks, if you've used Frontpage to create it you're really ignoring the craft of web design. Your code will be sloppy, your page will be slow to load.

And, of course, you probably aren't using web standards effectively. This would be a good idea. It is, after all, the way forward.

Are you from Cork perhaps?? Hehe.

The code again is up to the designer, not the TOOL used. Frontpage can create the code, change code etc but you don't have to have it set that way.

It has to be faced that not every web designer will want to follow the web standards - if the site displays well in tests they they'll be happy. And as for slow to load, thats only if have too much unneccesary code (not I sir) or too many large graphics.

Are you from Cork perhaps?? Hehe.
    I'm not from Cork, boi.
    It has to be faced that not every web designer will want to follow the web standards - if the site displays well in tests they they'll be happy. And as for slow to load, thats only if have too much unneccesary code (not I sir) or too many large graphics.
    And if those designers continue to refuse to use web standards, they can face losing out on contracts to companies like mine. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Homesite+Photoshop+Fireworks - 'nuff said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Editor: vim (+exhuberant ctags)
    Technologies: xHTML, CSS, XML, (strict normally), PHP, minimal Javascript (I try to keep most of the work server side), ...
    Graphics: fireworks

I prefer to keep flash usage to the minimum and if I do use it I prefer only to use it for things that it's actually lot better better at than HTML/CSS/Images.

Originally posted by JustHalf
    I'm not from Cork, boi.

And if those designers continue to refuse to use web standards, they can face losing out on contracts to companies like mine. :)

True, except when they're DIY designers.

• Advertisement

If thats your only complaint, you can set it so it doesn't alter your code - which I have done.

Yeah guess so....well me sticking to my Dreamweaver :)

True, except when they're DIY designers.
    Obviously.

Advertisement