Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U.S. Vows "Revenge"?

Options
  • 05-04-2004 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭

against who exactly? The perpetrators of that disgusting crime or everyone in general?

The US military has sealed off the Iraqi city of Fallujah ahead of a planned retaliation for the murders of four American security personnel last week. The US had already vowed to take revenge for the slaughter of the four men, whose bodies were set alight, dragged through the streets and hung from a bridge last Wednesday. Early today, US troops sealed off all entrances to Fallujah and around 1,200 soldiers and two battalions of Iraqi security forces were poised to enter the city. A US spokesman said the American forces had a list of targets to raid, but gave no further details. A witness said a US helicopter fired missiles into a residential area of the city this morning, killing five people and damaging five houses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Do you have a source for this allegation?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

unison.ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Sounds an awful like the Israel-Palestine conflict...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Quite often revenge is a more consise way of saying "US Foriegn Policy" ;)

(Reciprocity is probably their preferred word)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Well they've been doing some of the same things already...sounds like they are learning how NOT to do things from the Israelis and doing them anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

Yay, Go Democracy.

wonder when the defination changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Originally posted by Sleipnir
    against who exactly?

Anyone with a moustache?

They have screwed up royal there

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Do they think this will solve anything??

I'd bet for 1 person that gets killed 2 or 3 will take up arms to fight the Allied forces.

Bush is going to have one big mess and a lot of dead soldiers befre his election!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Bush is going to have one big mess and a lot of dead soldiers befre his election!!

Along with a large slogan saying "George W. Bush - Standing up against terrorism".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Are they going to form up Einsatzgruppen to carry out this revenge?

• Advertisement

U.S. Vows "Revenge"?

When i saw the thread title, I just thought to myself, what? Not again....
    A US spokesman said the American forces had a list of targets to raid, but gave no further details

hmm... wonder where this will lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Originally posted by klaz
    A US spokesman said the American forces had a list of targets to raid, but gave no further details

[B hmm... wonder where this will lead. [/B]

<After the event>

Journalist: Sir, I have a list of targets that you raided during this operation. Can you confirm that these were the only targets you planned to hit?

U.S. Spokesperson: Erm, yes.........yes they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Vietnam II - this time it's personal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by daveirl
    Would doing absolutely nothing and letting the criminals go unchallenged be better?

Well if they haven't got anyone to fight with ...

Also I doubt someone that there won't be innocent cilivians hurt along the way.

These people need a government elected by them.

How many soldiers and innocent Iraqi's will be killed daveirl before theres no criminls left??

Would doing absolutely nothing and letting the criminals go unchallenged be better?
    No, but a quick assasination of Hussein and his direct followers would have been. Iraq would probably have had a short civil war and could be holding democratic elections by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

How can you class them as criminals? It's their country. The Americans have no business being there against the wishes of the Iraqi people. I would be willing to bet that if Ireland was invaded and occupied, most of us would be doing the exact same things as the Iraqis in order to expel the invaders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭AmenToThat

I was actually going to post a thread about this but someone has beat me to it!
    To me the scariest development this weekend is not the actions of the militant Shias its whats about to take place in Fallujah!
    Apparently the whole city has been sealed off and thousands of American troops are preparing to going into the city......

"U.S. troops closed off entrances to Fallujah with earth barricades ahead of the planned operation, code named "Vigilant Resolve." Military patrols entered the outer suburbs on reconnaissance missions and to broadcast warnings on loud speakers to residents to stay indoors until Tuesday.

Iraqi police in the city visited mosques, dropping off Arabic leaflets from the U.S. military, telling residents that there was a daily 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew. It ordered them not to congregate in groups or carry weapons, even if licensed. It instructed people that if U.S. forces enter their homes, they should gather in one room and if they want to talk to the troops to have their hands up"

I got this from yahoo news by the AP associate press.

With the worlds media concentrating on events in Baghdad I think whats about to happen in Fallujah could lead to many innocents getting killed whether intentional or otherwise with no independent witnesses to dispute whatever spin the Americans put on the operation.

• Advertisement

It's an amazing mess altogether. Bush can't be seen to pull out unless there's a stable government in place (at least not until the election's over). If all troops were pulled out at this stage, they'd leave the country ripe for mass-scale corruption as the power vacuum was filled with warlords who, no doubt would make excellent use of whatever arms the American governments provided the various militia groups whilst they were first invading.

What's the solution? UN Peacekeeping forces so that Irish soldiers can die in the American's place? Have the international community demand American withdrawal? Leave them stay there and kill more of themselves and Iraqi civilians?

In my opinion the best thing would be for the complete US Withdrawal and have the UN monitor the situation in case peace-keeping troops are required. There will of course be a few months of civil unrest but it's probably a rather cruel necessity...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

If those events horrific events in Fallujah had happened to Russians in Chechnya the carpet bombing would have started the next day (and not with those nancy-boy smart bombs).

Followed up by a "kill them all and let God sort them out" operation on the ground.

And not a single lefty in Ireland would raise their voice in protest.

To be fair to the Yanks I think its a measured response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

You either agree with arresting the killers of the civilians/mercenaries/military contractors or you don't.
    Yes, that would be justice. But it wasn't justice that they promised, it was revenage. The two are not the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

Mercury_Tilt
    that bitterness is seriously clouding your reasoning. Your total failure to debate a point rationally is a bit puzzling. Also I wonder yet again why people jump to genocide conclusions regarding Faluja. As someone else said, the Russians are FAR more heavyhanded in Chechnia yet that is not worthy of comment? I think they're just trying to stabilise the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

hmm... wonder where this will lead.

Iran?...

Advertisement