Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying second hand car procedure??

Options
  • 05-04-2004 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

What do I need to do to buy a second hand car of someone else? Is there much paperwork involved?

Thanks,
    BM.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

Basically all you need is a wad of cash. just be sure there's no outstanding loans on the vehicle. After that you fill in the change of ownership form with the other person and hey presto, the car's yours. Just watch out for who you buy it off, you'll know yourself who seems suspicious (meeting you in the pub car park etc have they something to hide) Best if they arrange to meet at their house. Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

Check with the Garda to see if the car is reported stolen or has any outstanding fines.

Make sure everything on the change of ownership form is correct e.g. VIN numbers, car description and CC are all correct.

Check to see if any lease/loans are outstanding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by Kermitt
    just be sure there's no outstanding loans on the vehicle
    How would you go about doing that?
    Originally posted by ondafly
    Check with the Garda to see if the car is reported stolen or has any outstanding fines.
    Surely fines are associated with the person, not the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Eye

not sure how you would go about checking for any loans etc. outstanding on it, but with regard to fines, they are for the registered owner of the vehicle as far as i know. so while you buy and register the car if there are any outstanding fines they could get passed to you, although i would imagine it would be straight forward for you to sort out as the date for the fine and the date you registered i'm sure can both be checked but nevertheless still worth getting the cops to check it out for you. better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Armadillo

HP Autodata 01-2600905 are a company who check if there is any finance owed (outstanding payments) on a car. I think there is a fee for using the service. I've never used them myself.
    :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'm not 100% sure but I think the use of the car as loan security by the previous owner qualifies the lender as having a prior claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭boogie man

Thanks for the replys, Should have stated this in my original post but I'm actually getting the car off my girlfriends auntie, so I'm pretty sure she's not too dodgy ;) . Where do I get the change of ownership form or should she have one already?

Thanks, BM.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,377 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by boogie man
    Where do I get the change of ownership form or should she have one already?

It's called the Vehicle Licensing Certificate (VLC) and she has it already. To answer your previous question:

Buyer fills in his details (name, address, etc) on VLC on both buyer and seller sign this. Seller will post VLC. Seller hands over NCT cert (+ usually other stuff if he has it like bills, older nct reports, second sets of keys, etc). Buyer hands payment to seller, seller hands car to buyer

That's it :)

P.S. make sure that your new car is insured from the moment you drive off in it. Be aware that new owner is responisble for tax from the first day of the month that he is owner, so if you buy the car on March 31st, you still pay tax for the whole of March

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

http://www.corkcoco.com/cccmm/services/motor_tax/changes_of_ownership.htm
    Changes of Ownership:

Vehicles registered before 1st January 1993 are dealt with by local Motor Taxation Offices. Items to be submitted:

- RF.200 Form (available from Motor Taxation Offices) to be fully completed and signed by both parties
    - Registration Book

Vehicles registered since 1st January 1993 are dealth with by Vehicle Registration Centre, Shannon, Co. Clare. Item to be submitted:

- Vehicle Licensing Certificate fully completed. Part B to be fully completed by both parties and include date of sale.

Advertisement