Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK TV tuners (Northern Ireland) still different from Irish models?

Options
  • 05-04-2004 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭

Thinking of picking up a Panasonic model from Belfast but not sure if it'll receive the Irish broadcasts.

I know some of the newer Panasonics have a "hyperband" tuner but the model I'm looking at just has the bog standard tuner.

I'm also aware that Sky/DVD etc will be OK via scart but for selling it on the tuner would need to be compatible.

For information I know someone with a Panasonic model that can receive Irish broadcasts in Belfast but are these rebroadcast up there on UK frequencies?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Your not getting a PD30 by any chance are you? If so, whereabouts are you getting it and for what price? On the lookout myself. Other than a dodgy looking German site the best price i can see is at Techtronics for €1900 delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Yeah, can you tell us what model it is, it makes it a bit easier to research you question.

Terestrial Broadcasts from the ROI are in the VHF band and UHF band. The hyperband tuner is used for cable systems to provide more VHF channels to fit all these extra programms in. They also alter the bandwidth I think to avoid co-channel nasties because of the number and proximity of channels, might be wrong on this but I recall some difference applies.

If you give us the exact model number we may be able to help you out.

Tinky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Most of Ireland is now serviced by UHF transmitters. This system uses the exact same tuner as the UK. Some areas, however, still use the older (some would say more robust) VHF frequencies so all TV sold in Ireland have the ability to tune in both VHF and UHF.

If your current TV displays the frequencies as numbers then you can check if you are UHF only or UHF and VHF. If your Irish channels are anywhere between Ch21 and Ch69 then they are on UHF and you can buy the TV from Belfast and it will definately work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

If your current TV displays the frequencies as numbers then you can check if you are UHF only or UHF and VHF. If your Irish channels are anywhere between Ch21 and Ch69 then they are on UHF and you can buy the TV from Belfast and it will definately work.

Thats fine for off air programs, but if he connects to a cable system he will need a VHF & UHF tuner.

Tinky

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Thanks for the replies guys - appreciated.

The model in question is/was a Panasonic PL1 so a pretty recent model - 12/18 months old.

Will look into the cable signal I have here (Chorus, Limerick) but my current telly doesn't have channel numbers, just that scrolling bar thing.

:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement