Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 Years Since The Death of Kurt Cobain

Options
  • 05-04-2004 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

Ok, I know there's loads of sh*t going on on the radio and MTV about this, and everybody's probably pretty sick of the whole thing at this stage. I just wanted to pose a simple question though:

What kind of influence do you think Kurt Cobain would have had on the last 10 years of rock if he had lived?

On one hand, he had quite a motivating influence on other musicians at the time - he pretty much revolutionised rock in the mid-ninties. Do you think this would have continued though, or had he done as much as he could? Then again, was it a good thing that the way was left open for other bands to come through and get their share of the limelight?

Personally, I think he would have been powerless to stop the avalanche of pop crap that is spewed our way every second of every day, and its probably a good thing that several other bands got their chance. I'm not trying to say that the death of Kurt Cobain was a good thing, but merely that his influence had reached the point where he couldn't do any more for Rock than he had already done.

Opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

Thats a good question.

I don't think Nirvana would have 'evolved' like some bands from the time did. Kurt Cobain wasn't like Chris Cornell or Dave Groll ... I don't think he could have changed his image and successfully got away with it.

And as good as his music was ... the musical depression could not have lasted forever above ground.

I'd say he'd still be writing excellent music and would have a cult following.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

That's an interesting question...

I would expect that things would have changed like they did....we would get all these Liberty X, Avril Lavigne, Westlife type bands becoming the popular type of music, and all those mainstream grunge etc. bands would have faded/broken up... Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Hole etc.. His influence hadn't really reached his peak, the fading of popular rock music didn't really have much to do with his death, because things change, new musical trends come along.
    That said, I still believe Mr. Cobain has a lot of influence today, and not just over those pseudo-rocker mini-skaters. Yes, there are plenty of bands better than Nirvana, but the fact that they revolutionised music (to a certain extent-they were not the first grunge band but they popularised the genre) in the eary nineties is admirable. A lot of teenagers nowadays begin listening to rock music through Nirvana, myself included, and then move on to other bands and musicians.
    To summarise, Cobain had not reached his influential peak, but things would have changed regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I'd guess he would've killed himself at a later date. Apart from the depression which many creative people suffer from... and the heroin... he also suffered from intense stomach pain which had yet to be sorted by the time of his death. And he was married to Courtney Love. If it wasn't a gun, it would've been a rope or a needle. Poor bastid. He was a talented man.

He would've put out a few more tunes but he was just waiting to be corpsed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

sq-cobain-live-loud-93-windy-mtv.jpg

there is a troubled face indeed

rip.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I don't care, I just wish they'd stop polluting us with this Nirvana tribute shít.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Deadstar

Originally posted by redRogue

And as good as his music was ... the musical depression could not have lasted forever above ground.

I'd say he'd still be writing excellent music and would have a cult following.

Kurt Cobain was a man who suffered from severe stomach pains and depression, he had attempted to commit suicide before and failed. His depression influinced his and Nirvana's music and lyrics. He hadn't been famous, it would have been a different band, and he would have been another of the poor, unheard of, shmuks to kill himself in 1994.(This would have meant that hardly any of the teens who had committed suicide for Kurt as a tribute probably never would have committed suicide for any reason whatsoever) And I don't respect him for taking the "easy" way out, he left a child and deranged wife behind! Kurt was a selfish bastard, but you still have to like him.

I don't agree that he would have continued writting excellent music, it would eventually dry up and die (like his life) and almost every good, grunge, rock band has a cult...

If Kurt knew that people were still idolizing him and having anniversaries for him, he'd be rolling over in his grave! He hated the ****ing fame!!!

Still I must say R.I.P Kurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

he would have been gettin on with his life wanting everyone to leave him alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

had kurt lived on he would have ended up the same as layne staley. a ****ed up loner junkie waiting to die from an overdose. (dont forget it was his 2nd anniversary the same day)
    nirvana was finished in 94, and although its interesting to think what cobain could have gone on to do, its highly unlikely he would have done anything. hero worship'll turn you blind.
    for kurt it really was better to burn out than blah blah blah...

btw im a huge nirvana fan, but kurt was no god like super dood as so many seem to believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

Originally posted by pyure
    btw im a huge nirvana fan, but kurt was no god like super dood as so many seem to believe.

if only there was more like u

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

he would have continued making music reguardless, also, saying he hated being idolised etc is stupid, he may have shyed away in public or said he hated it, but that was the whole point why he wanted to be famous. He didn't have so much drive for nothing.

I'd say the results would be Hole having another Decent album written by himself :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

he would have been gettin on with his life wanting everyone to leave him alone
    do you honestly think people would have gave up that easily and just left him alone?

you pay for fame.

If he was still alive now... I don't think he would have gave up on writting music. It was probably the music that kept him alive as long as he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭MarkMI6

Everyone should read this: http://www.endino.com/archive/arch9-1.html And if you're a fan of the general Seattle scene you'd have signed up to Jack Endino's newsletter anyway (: He's class. Puts some realistic perspective on this 10th anniversary party the media is having.

Next up, Cobain's death is as much suicide as it is murder. His "suicide" note contained no reference to death until the last four lines which were written by another hand - different pen pressure, different style of writing, totally different from what went before. The rest of the letter was addressed to his fans where he said he was getting out of the music business and that he was sick of it. So if Cobain was still around, murder or suicide discounted, he wouldn't be making music. Especially since the crippling stomach ulcers he had made it very painful to sing.

I don't fully believe he was murdered, but I don't fully believe he killed himself either. This is a case of some shoddy police work and an unwillingness to reopen a case that has more than enough evidence to warrant a second look. There was something very shady going on at the time between Courtney Love, a few associates and two dead musicians (Cobain and the original Hole bassist). I'm not saying she was involved in any murder - like I said I don't fully believe either way - but there's evidence being ignored by the Seattle police and that just ain't right.

Originally posted by MarkMI6
    There was something very shady going on at the time between Courtney Love, a few associates and two dead musicians (Cobain and the original Hole bassist). I'm not saying she was involved in any murder - like I said I don't fully believe either way - but there's evidence being ignored by the Seattle police and that just ain't right.

Call a spade a spade, brother. Tell it like it is. She's up to her neck in death. First Kristin Pfaff and then Kurt Cobain. Anybody whose name begins with K who's a musician and a heroin addict better watch out. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭girella

well personally i think he was destined to die and unfortunately it would have happened sooner or later. one thing though. i love nirvana dont get me wrong, they were the first band i ever got into but there is always too much of a fuss made about it. for instance it was also layne staleys anniversary on the 5th and i didnt hear one mention of him.i really dont think either of them would want so much publicity.its what kurt hated the most was it not.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

Originally posted by Civilian_Target
    I don't care, I just wish they'd stop polluting us with this Nirvana tribute shít.

i couldnt agree more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 GothicChick

Jaysus I wouldnt mind, only nirvana havent a single good song to their name.
    The constant moaning of their songs gives me a headache.

Sure if a really good band broke up or whatever....
    Frankly? Who gives a sh*t anyway.

Busted are far better.

<Me opens Winamp>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

any1 who wants to call herself gothicchick doesn't even have a say. kurt was unique, influential, genius whatever you may say for the pure reason you don't understand or know nirvana

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

I think there is just too much speculation reguarding his death. I dont think it should really come into question (Courtney Love is a talentless bitch, and ugly).

Reguardless of what people believe, Nirvana did cause people to notice what was happening in Seattle, and helped other groups make their names.

Nice to see people read who killed Kurt Cobain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

just as a matter of interest, how many people here were into nirvana in/around/before 91 and smells like teen spirit ?
    how much did it mean to you at the time ?

i think that anyone who was listening to music at the time has a much better view of just how much nirvana did for music and a generation of kids.
    is it because todays kids have no generation defining band to look to that nirvana are still so huge (and so misunderstood) today ?
    opinions/comments please.

btw, i first heard nirvana in 90 with the sliver single, i think i was 8 at the time, loved it and got nevermind as soon as it came out. yeah i know i was a little young, but it was still important to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Shewhomustbe...

I'm a little, okay, hugely ticked off with all this BS about Kurt being depressed.
    It's all just a nice neat little package to tie it all up in.
    Someone writes honestly and because it doesn't drown you in pretentious crap about love and life they've got to be depressed?
    I've never in all the 14years I've been listening to Nirvana found them depressing, but then does that in turn mean I'm depressed and therefore drawn to such music, oh the turmoil.....

And why don't we all open our eyes just a little and reconsider the very neat 'suicide' verdict.

http://wildcat.arizona.edu/papers/89/153/roig.html

http://www.justiceforkurt.com/

http://www.cobaincase.com/news.htm

Regarding the initial question. No-one person could control the change in people's opinions or taste in music, it evolves with society, always has, always will.
    Chances are, no I would say definitely, Nirvana would have split up. Whether Kurt would have gone solo or formed another band is anyones guess, but I think he would have absolutlely been involved with music, as that is what he was interested in first and foremost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Nirvana were alright at best, Kurt Cobain couldn't sing, couldn't play guitar very well, wrote poor lyrics and was far from the god people make him out to be. I used to listen to their music, but the incredible coverage that rock music television stations give them is ridiculous (eg-Nirvana Week etc..). I can easily appreciate why people like Nirvana, however, because many of the songs do have a catchy feel to them.

Isn't it time some people moved on and let go?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Its not about letting go - their music still exists, and its still good. Frankly, the whole "Nirvana week" thing is an excuse to dig it out and play it again because people want to hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Originally posted by mr_angry
    Its not about letting go - their music still exists, and its still good. Frankly, the whole "Nirvana week" thing is an excuse to dig it out and play it again because people want to hear it.

I know MANY more people who would love to never hear Nirvana again, than who enjoy "Nirvana week".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Originally posted by MrJoeSoap
    Isn't it time some people moved on and let go?

Yeah, and isnt it time we just let go of The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin etc etc??
    I mean come on, theyre all old and most of them are dead! who wants to listen to old dead music? *puts on a linkin park hoodie and wallet chain*

--->EXTREME SARCASM<---

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Originally posted by MrJoeSoap
    I know MANY more people who would love to never hear Nirvana again, than who enjoy "Nirvana week".

Lucky for those people they have the ability to change channels, huh? I could have been forced to watch Eminem Week last week on Q (the very thought sickens me), but thankfully Kerrang was only the push of a button away.

I agree with Deadwing. Should we just forget about music that was released more than 5 years ago? The Beatles, Led Zepplin, etc? Personally, I don't intend to. I was never a huge Nirvana fan myself (probably a bit young at the time), but to say they were untalented I believe is wrong. They had a massive impact on the lives of an awful lot of people. How do you measure talent? Well, I'd say popularity is one indicator, in which case - yes, it would seem they were a pretty talented bunch.

If they don't suit your personal preference, fair enough. But I see no reason to completely slate their abilities.

There are two types of music, good :) and bad :(

Age doesn't matter, style doesn't matter, image doesn't matter, personalities don't matter, time doesn't matter, genre doesn't matter, all that matters is the music. If you want to disregard what has gone before become a hairdresser or a clothes designer, get into fashion which is designed to become obsolete. Good music is, and always should be, timeless.

Kurt Cobain, much as many of us hate to admit it, wrote some incredibly good songs and was part of one of the finest bands I've ever seen. He was an excellent songwriter. That shouldn't be overlooked because of his tragic demise, or the stigma some mentally unbalanced hero worshippers attach to his legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Well said Doctor J.

I got Nevermind back in 1993, and it changed me forever. This statement is not melodrama, but fact. Cobain's music was the first music I ever heard that actually meant something and stirred something inside.

He was a deeply troubled individual, and was ultimately destined to burn out, I believe. Some people just can't carry large burdens and it all becomes too much.

Advertisement