Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband newbe silly questions

• 05-04-2004 11:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭

I have decided to bite the bullet and post a few questions. I know you are probally sick answering some of them but I have read the faqs and have been checking the boards for the last few days. I hope to get broadband in the next few weeks, any post I have checked slags off most of the providers. I would like to stick with iol because of e mail addresses etc, any help picking one would be appreciated. I
    live in the Dublin area and broadband is available.
    Dont intend gaming just surfing and email. Help

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Originally posted by paddyk
    I have decided to bite the bullet and post a few questions. I know you are probally sick answering some of them but I have read the faqs and have been checking the boards for the last few days. I hope to get broadband in the next few weeks, any post I have checked slags off most of the providers. I would like to stick with iol because of e mail addresses etc, any help picking one would be appreciated. I
    live in the Dublin area and broadband is available.
    Dont intend gaming just surfing and email. Help

Well for a start there is no need to stay with an isp just because you have set up am email address - you can hold onto an email address its only a matter of setting up the account correctly in whatever email programme you use and it is very easy to do that. So dont let that be the sole reason for choosing your broadband provider.

If you are not interested in gaming UTV is a logical choice if you are going for price alone. UTV have a very bad reputation amongst gamers because they are considered the worst isp for pings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭paddyk

Thanks for the quick reply. But if I held my iol email address surely I would have to pay them as well as utv for broadband, this is one of the things I'm trying to figure out.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

No not unless IOL are different to other ISP's - lots of people hold on to their email addresses and move to other ISP's. I am with UTV and have had an indigo email address since I got the internet many years ago. And for instance if you look at the UTV support group which is only for UTV subscribers lots of people post there with non utv emails addresses. I think all that an isp requires is that you sign in every so often and collect your mail so as not to choke the servers. All you do when you collect mail is access a server you dont need to be signed in to that provider.

For instance some webmail programmes like yahoo will allow you to collect your pop3 mail which is what youwould call your iol mail if you were not at your own computer (say you were on holidays and in an internet cafe) it is just a matter of setting it up properly)

Advertisement