Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - UTVIP + intel modem + large emails

Options
  • 06-04-2004 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Anyone had a problem sending large emails with UTVIP (See below)?

Anyone know of a fix?

Failing that can anyone reccommend a modem they know works well with UTVIP?

Using UTVIP (dialup for almost a year) - browsing and mail generally work well but a few months back I notice that I couldn't send an email (smtp mail) with a a large attachment (greater than about 250kb). Smaller emails got through no problem but large emails got about half way through and hung regardless of the email account I tried to send them to. I can download emails of any size.

Curiously this problem did not happen when I used the same modem to dial an eircom internet account.

Converstaion with UTV support at the time went something like this:

ME: I cannot send large mails

UTV: That is a known problem with the Intel 536 chipset modems. Here is a patch that will fix it.

ME: My modem has an Intel 5628 chip - the patch for the 536 won't install. Do you have a patch for the 5628?

UTV: We don't have a patch for the 5628. Here are some modem init strings you can try.

ME: I tried those init strings - it still doesn't work.

UTV: It looks like your Modem just isn't compatible with UTV - Suggest you try a new modem.

Even though my problem wasn't solved I was happy enough that UTV support did their best to help me. I tried downloading the latest intel drivers for my modem but it didn't fix the problem. At the time I reckoned I could live with the 250k limit and didn't bother getting a new modem.

Recently however I notice that the size limit on sending emails has shrunk to below 50kb. Effectively I cannot send out any emails with attachments. I cannot even use webmail as an alternative - they too choke when I try to upload a file of any size. The only thing that works is to dial an eircom internet number at a scandalous price.

Have you any suggestions?

Advertisement