Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wenger fears losing everything

• 06-04-2004 7:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭

Link
    Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has admitted his 'fear of losing everything' as the Gunners prepare for a series of season-defining matches.

Until Saturday, when they were beaten 1-0 by Manchester United in the FA Cup semi-final, the north Londoners had been chasing an historic treble.

On Tuesday, Arsenal have the slender first-leg advantage of an away goal going into the Champions League quarter-final second-leg tie against Chelsea and defeat could leave the Gunners with only the Barclaycard Premiership title to aim for.

The Gunners, who also had their lead at the top of the table reduced to fours points by Chelsea over the weekend, have a series of big matches coming up after Tuesday, starting with the visit of Liverpool on Friday followed by the trip to Newcastle United on Sunday.

Wenger said: "The fear of losing everything exists. I just have to make do with it.

"At least this series of matches close together has the benefit of leaving little time to brood.

"I have an exceptional squad. I stand in admiration before its desire."

After wrecking the Gunners' treble dream, United boss Sir Alex Ferguson cranked up the pressure on Wenger by backing Chelsea to finally put one over their London rivals on Tueday.

However, the Frenchman insists he is not interested in what Ferguson has to say and claims he is not ruffled by his bitter rival's psychological dig.

"For a long time, we have not listened to what Alex Ferguson says," responded Wenger.

"I do not understand what he means. I am not intelligent enough.

"We are rivals. We do not know each other. He wants to win, so do I."

A bit worrying when your manager admits this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 SanFranMan

Its nice to hear a little realism from him though isnt it? Wouldnt it be worse if he were still just talking them up like he's done so often before. I think the realism should take pressure off the players. It might be a good tact.
    re the intelligence, its obviously a sarcastic dig given that he fancies himself as the academic, if he didnt listen or care he wouldnt comment at all, its just his way of biting back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

He has obviously learnt his lesson from last season but the fact that he mentioned fergie at all is evidence that he is getting under his skin again.

He didin't happen to say "I would love it, Love it if we could beat chelsea" by any chance did he?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

It's quite natural for Wenger to be fearful of losing everything.

This weeks fixtures:

United have knocked Arsenal out of the FA Cup.
    Chelsea can knock them out of the Champions League tonight.
    They then play Liverpool at home on friday.
    Followed by Newcastle away on Sunday.

Losing all four of those would leave them one point ahead of Chelsea in the Premiership and out of _all_ other competitions. And losing four games in a fixture pileup like this is a realistic possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

I would expect them to beat chelsea comfortably...they're made of stronger stuff than people are giving them credit for.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by The Muppet
    He has obviously learnt his lesson from last season but the fact that he mentioned fergie at all is evidence that he is getting under his skin again.
    erm, it says he responded... so he was presumeably asked about Ferguson. Doesn't mean anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I reckon Arsenal will beat Chelsea tonight and beat Real in the next round too. Just because as a United fan I crapped myself everytime Reyes, Henry, Ljungberg and Pires get the ball and run at the United defence. I dont think either Chelsea or Real will cope with their attack.

However, I feel that the four fixtures may be too close together and personally I fancy Newcastle to beat them.

I cant see Arsenal throwing it away but it would be nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I saw Wenger's interview on ITV's The Premiership last night. What has
    changed with the defeat at Man U is that Wenger realises that even
    that slim defeat has psychological consequences, an area that Arsenal's
    players have been prone to in the past. However, they have no time
    to recover from that defeat. It would have been better for Arsenal
    to have been knocked out of the FA Cup earlier than to lose in
    the semi with the fixture rush that is now upon them. You could tell
    in Wengers face and eyse that he is under some pressure and that
    is a change that will be transmitted to the players. His smile had
    gone.

For Wenger though, his plan was not to win the CL at the start of
    the year, and a loss against Real Madrid in the semi-final would be
    "acceptable" to one and all. Its a prospect that Europe is now waiting
    for, but Chelsea have the potential to be a fly in the ointment -
    and the smiling Ranieri has absolutely nothing to lose.

I dont expect Arsenal to win the CL. They may beat Chelsea but
    not Real Madrid.

I dont expect Arsenal to beat both Newcastle and Liverpool. But I
    do expect them tpo regain any lost composure and go on and win
    the league. Chelsea are due a draw or two before the end of
    the league campaign, especially if they get past Arsenal in the
    CL and have to play Real Madrid.

Its all good to watch though ....

-redspider

I don't see Arselal losing all four either but stranger things have happened.

Arsenal have been the best team in the Premiership by a considerable margin this season and probably deserve to win it. That said the league isn't over till the last ball is kicked and dropping 8 points over 8 games isn't that hard to do if you are below 100%.

As for the CL, I reckon that Arsenal will go through tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 GreatKingRat

SheroN
    I would expect them to beat chelsea comfortably...they're made of stronger stuff than people are giving them credit for.

Sadly, I think we dont have enough players made of the stronger stuff, and unless Wenger faces up to it this sort of dissapointment will continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Two down one to go?? Good luck Mr. Wenger.

• Advertisement

Looks like I placed too much faith in Arsenals ability to produce. Chelsea were better than them last night and deserved to go through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭bdiddy

if he was afraid b4 he must be sh1tin it now... i have nothin againist Arsenal and admire Wenger for addin flare to the prem and for his ability to knock the best out of players but i still prefer to see teams wit Irish players go through.......... Go on the Duffer!!!!

Chelsea have won all their away games in the Champions League this year. That is some feat regardless of how well you play. They also seem to be hitting a bit of form now.

Arsenal got bitten by their two biggest problems:

1) They can't win when they aren't playing well. In the second half Chelsea just took over and Arsenal were in the situation where they needed a great goal (they do it most of the time) to win.

2) Dependance on Henry. Henry tired badly in the second half and was anonymous until he was taken off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 doozerjack

No argument about #2, but they have actually won games on off days this season.
    I dont think the problem is winning when they're not playing well, its bouncing back when they're up against it. They folded last night. I wouldnt bet against them losing the next two, this was bound to happen sometime this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭lad12

This weekend will decide which part of london the league goes to...Arsenal play Liverpool at home on friday and then newcastle on sunday..while chelski are playing Boro and villa...also Henry is missing for arsenal for the easter program with a hamstring problem..

Come on CHELSKI

Advertisement