Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haruki Murakami

Options
  • 06-04-2004 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭

Any opinions on his works? I am half way through "The Wind Up Bird Chronicle" and I'm finding it really enjoyable - its written nicely and its very thought provoking (to me anyhow :) )
    had a look at some other books on Amazon, Norwegian Wood also written by HM, was published in Japan in two volumes, one red and one green - people would dress entirely in green or red to show which volume they most identified with!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Zapper

I love Murakami's work.

I got introduced to it by a freind a few years back and have slowly been working my way through his work.

I love his writing style and the nature of his narrative. It's so loose and different to anything we really have in the west. It's strange but his novels really evoke genuine emotion when reading.

I advise you to read Norweigan Wood, it's probably my favorite novel of his. If you're looking for a good introduction to his work his work then it's prbably best to start off with "The elephant Vanishes". It's a nice wee collection of short stories which get you thinking about things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Bibliofemme

I've just bought 'A Wild Sheep Chase' as I've never read anything by him but sounds like he's worth checking out as a a writer. Will report back...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

I agree totally with you Zapper - I read a lot of books but its very rare to find one which makes you think about your own opinions and feelings.
    I notice when looking at some of the books on Amazon that some of them are translated by himself, and other books(like the Wind up Bird) are translated by a different person.
    Wonder how much of the book not translated by himself is "lost in translation" :)

i see on the back of the book that he has been compared to Bret Easton Ellis - suppose I can see where that's coming from..

Got myself a copy of Norwegian Wood in a second hand shop in Belfast, so ill post up when Ive read it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Lailah

I like is style. He is witty and funny, easy to read but not shallow. I ejoyed his short stories.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

guys,
    ive read 5/6 of this guys books...
    the first one was the best because it had such a profound impact on me.
    definitely surreal, most japanese things are, but well worth the read..
    "Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World"

i would seriously recommend this book, although i have heard norwegian wood is meant to be his best,,,,,i aint got round to reading it yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Archvillain

Hey... ILAC centre Dublin has the cool Norwegian Wood edition with teh red and green books. I found it so refreshing and cool to see books packaged so innovatively. They come within a larger 'faux' book.
    The books themselves I liked quite a lot, although I have to say they seemed a tad, just a 'tad' melodramatic, am I wrong?
    I wouldn't go dressing in colours of allegience myself anyway.... :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 mosadit

I really liked Norvegian Wood even if it was a while ago... and I can't remember it so well. May be I should read it again. May be I should go and take that cool edition you sugest, Archivillain!!
    I have also read another one... but I can't really remeber the title. Something like West of the Sun.... ok, I give up! But if anyone can tell me the title I would be really glad!!!

Think that book is called "South of the Border, West of the Sun"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 mosadit

Yes! Exactly! Thans a lot Krankykitty!
    Which else do you sugest me?

• Advertisement

I've actually only read Wind up Bird Chronicle so far, but I have Norwegian Wood to read now, which a lot of people seem to say is his best book..
    Zapper recommended "The "Elephant Vanishes" earlier in this thread....

Advertisement