Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

meteor mms farce

Options
  • 06-04-2004 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭

ok,
    i understand that when i try to send a pic to 087, all they get is a msg saying it can be collected online, i dont like it but i *understand* it.........

wat i DONT understand is meteor saying that the same should happen when an 087 sends me a msg........ many have tried an i get nothing, no "collect online" msg even....... an meteor insisting they do it, they sooo dont. Benn told same thing by many peeps.

grrrrrrrrrrr
    what the point in 85% coverage if u cant do the simplest of things!

B

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭toxic_angel

i always get the msg if its from an o2 fone but rarelt when its a vodafone one so i think its a prob wit vodafone rather than meteor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 galvionie

o2 and Vodafone have an agreement between each other to be able to exchange MMS, Meteor are not in on this nor do they look likely to be in the near future. The fact that you are able to receive MMS from meteor if bu shear fluke.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 weebrat

When you send an MMS inside an operator's network, e.g. one Meteor phone to another Meteor phone, their MMSC will first check to see if the recipient has a phone that is capable of displaying MMS messages (i.e. is provisioned for MMS). If he is, he gets the MMS message. If he's not, he gets an SMS message saying "here's a website to download the picture... (and wouldn't you really like to buy a snazzy new phone that can display MMS messages?)".

OK, not the bit inside the brackets, but....

If you send a message from a Meteor phone to a non-Meteor phone (e.g. Vodafone), which Meteor can't send MMS messages to (everywhere currently), Meteor can opt to send an SMS to that (Vodafone) phone. But they don't have to, or Vodafone mightn't let them/want them to.

The same is true in reverse, so it's up to Vodafone whether or not to send you an SMS if one of their customers tries to send you an MMS message. So you need to ask Vodafone what the problem is.

It might suck eggs, but it's all there is until all the operators get their interconnects up and running. And note all the operators say (AFAIK) in their small print that you get billed for sending an MMS message when they first receive it, no guarantees about whether it'll ever get to its recipient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

If someone sends you an MMS message from an inconpatible network, ie from Vodafone to Meteor then you should receive a text message from Vodafone telling you you have a picture message stored for you online on their website. If you don't get the message then you either have a problem receiving text messages or else there is a problem with Vodafone and the person who sent it to you should get in touch with Vodafone to sort it out

Advertisement