Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

going to the tribunal

Options
  • 06-04-2004 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Anyone been in to see the tribunal?
    Got some time off and need some free entertainment.

What's a good time to get there for?
    Does the viewing area get full?
    Is there a website telling you whats happening each day?

Thnx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭rde

I've been thinking of nipping along for a while now, but decided against it as the reports every day talk of 'standing room only'.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by rde
    I've been thinking of nipping along for a while now, but decided against it as the reports every day talk of 'standing room only'.

Would love to go, being listening to the reconcructions on Radio each night, great stuff indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

Went yesterday just to let ye know what happens.
    Got there about 10.30 no problems getting a seat place was mostly empty.
    They don't really start till 10.45.
    There's two parts for members of the public one in front of the Judges but all you see is everyone's backs so go to the side section on the far side of the room for a better view.
    Started off with Lawler making a submission questioning the whole reason for the tribunal and he argued for a while. He claimed Gilmartin was getting preferential treatment poor thing!!!
    Then Liam was crossexamining Mr Gilmartin.
    There were a few funny exchanges and they called each other liars.
    There are big screens for displaying documents and they can be zoomed into so that the public can see.
    The tribunal was supposed to break for Easter today but a fax had been sent on tuesday afternoon asking for everyone to return on Thursday.
    Lawler announced at 12.45 that he was going to Prague on business and couldn't make tomorrow. The Judge was rightly pissed off that he was only telling them then. There was an arguement about when faxes were sent and who got wht and dropping this on me. Lawler was like a school kid claiming he never got his homework. They sorted it out in the end after about 20minutes (whats that cost the taxpayer???)
    Lawler was argueing about what position Gilmartin held he had described himself as a fixer, jack of all trades etc. Gilmartin offered to sit with Lawler and explain he various jobs, Lawler said "somehow I don't think I could spare the time". Was funneh but you had to be there!!

Bertie was on around 2. The place filled up but stick a jacket on your seat and go for a smoke its ok. They also allow standing and brought in more seats though I hear a lot of people couldn't get in.
    They had Bertie on the rack for a while though it is boring for parts. Like a discussion about "What is a meeting"!! Berties counsel weren't shy about butting in a lot as wel to help the boss.
    John Gallagher is pretty cool (for a lawyer and takes no ****)

Well worth a visit.
    Learn a lot about how not to answer questions.
    Just in case you ever end up in a tribunal.

Bring some sandwiches!!!! Like the pro's do, I was starving buy ther time I got out.

Hope this helps its interesting and worth a visit.

more info

http://www.flood-tribunal.ie/

Advertisement