Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keane / Kerr Meeting?

• 06-04-2004 1:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭

Did anyone else hear the news item on Newstalk 106 sportsnews this morning at 8.20? According to the report, Brian Kerr is set to meet Roy Keane in a secret meeting somewhere in Manchester, some time soon, and the objective is to discuss ways in which RK could fulfil his 'unfinished business' for Ireland.

I have looked on RTE, BBC, Football 365 and a brief scan of some of the red-tops this morning. I haven't managed to find another source, so I looked here. Anybody else heard anything?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

bah who cares he's passed it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I read the United Fanzine "RedIssue", and yes, there is a piece on that website about a face to face Keane/Kerr meeting.

I believe them, because the day that Keane did that interview after the Saipan affair, that website had news of the interview that morning, hours before the news broke anywhere else.

Link to RI Article

I know the Kerr quote is old, but the story is dated today. It's not like that website to put up anything they think might not be true. I think their sources are pretty good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 zedsDeadBaby

oh noooo... not again.
    Let him stay where he is in his mansion wondering what could have been.

If he came back and was crap then EVERYONE would hate him, not just the Mickey Mac supporters.

The team is getting better all the time and all they need is another act of treason from Keane to mess that up too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yeah, he should just leave it be now. The team and the manager have moved on without him and all he will be doing is reopening old wounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Or Keane can jet off back to Fergie and not keep dragging all this crap out.

[EDIT] Keep it country Sheds ;)[/EDIT]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

FAI shouldn't waste the price of the flight!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Or maybe we could just let him play and see :

if he really is past it
    if there is friction in the team with him included
    if he does contribute to our success or lack of
    if people can stop begrudging him the chance to make it up to us
    if he can finally shut up all the naysayers
    if finally we can put threads like this to rest !!!

Tinky

Originally posted by DMT
    He's passed, but still better than the crap that's playing for Ireland at the moment...

:rolleyes: Would he have a good effect on the team do!!!

I don't think it would help the team regardless of whether or not he's past it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Originally posted by SheroN

what he said... blah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

I don't think it would help the team regardless of whether or not he's past it
    I think ill trust Brian Kerr to make the decesion wether he'd have a negative affect on the team. That is afterwall what he's paid to do..

It would mean we could drop Holland from the team which is a plus :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

Thanks seansouth, that could be where they got the story from (though there is no mention of 'a manchester hotel' in the RI story).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    I think ill trust Brian Kerr to make the decesion wether he'd have a negative affect on the team. That is afterwall what he's paid to do..

It would mean we could drop Holland from the team which is a plus :)

True but with the re-introduction of Keane, how long would it take for good youngsters who actually want to play for Ireland to break into the team. Now that there is such dross in the middle, there is a chance that one or two of the new guys can get in there, stake a claim and keep a place if they play well enough internationally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Its mentioned in the Daily Star today and I read it this morning on the BBC website. I reckon its a good thing. Personally speaking. After all, he is a good player and he certainly aint past it. Im sure he would enjoy a battle with Paddy Vieira in the qualifiers aswell.

Originally posted by Draupnir
    Its mentioned in the Daily Star today and I read it this morning on the BBC website. I reckon its a good thing. Personally speaking. After all, he is a good player and he certainly aint past it. Im sure he would enjoy a battle with Paddy Vieira in the qualifiers aswell.

No-one is questioning the mans ability to play.

But look at it this way will he still be able to play if we make it to the world cup in 2006?

We have a good team at the moment and I think Keane returning would disrupt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

We have so many choices for the central midfield spot that I wouldn't like Keane back. He said in the press conference a while back that he would retire before the world cup so he will only play for the qualifiers, he either stays with us for the world cup (if he can still hack it) or don't come back. Players like Miller and Reid need all the experience they can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I still think this is a brilliant play by Fergie.

Miller is coming to Man United, hoping to be shaped into the next Keane.

How great would it be for Man united, and ireland, to have the man utd centre midfield playing together in internatiaonl matchs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Originally posted by SheroN

I think hes better off not coming bac, he doesnt need idiots giving him grief, which is what'll happen, anyway, did u watch the game V arsenal in the cup, the man was all over the place, he had a great game. H ebroke down most of the arsenal attacks and was a typical rock that he has been for years.

An update: Last night, following questions by Newstalk, the FAI formally denied any planned meeting any time in the future. A couple of hours later they changed their story, confirming in todays Independent that a meeting WILL take place this week.

The debate over should he shouldn't he is clearly unresolvable. People have well entrenched positions at this stage, and it seems impossible that any rational discussion, even in terms of football can take place. My own opinion is that the only way that debate can ever be concluded is if Keane comes back; at least then people will be able to review his international career with a sense of balance.

I have to wonder if Keanes interest in returning to International football is because he has already decided to move to Celtic. In his mind, this season for United was one of the worst (especially as he is likely to have been looking for one more chance to really dominate in Europe), and he may well be peeved at some of Fergies antics since January - horses, strategy, his own non-selection in particular key games, and the under-performance of some of the new players that were selected ahead of him.

A move to Celtic would allow him to continue playing out his career in Europe with a team he loves, with a domestic league that demands far less physically than the Premiership. This, along with the endorsement of his new manager, would also allow Keane to come back to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

I had all the time in the world for keane, i understood he needed to cut down on the number of matches because of his injuries etc, then he goes off and plays a load of bul**** matches in america last summer. pffffft

Originally posted by Genghis
    An update: Last night, following questions by Newstalk, the FAI formally denied any planned meeting any time in the future. A couple of hours later they changed their story, confirming in todays Independent that a meeting WILL take place this week.

Maybe because the Indo had "Exclusive Rights" to this story. Or maybe the meeting was only confirmed after the Newstalk questions. Who knows?

All I know is, that if Keane and Kerr come to some decision that will facilitate Keane playing for the country again, then we should welcome the best player we have had in fifteen years back with open arms.

• Advertisement

Maybe, seansouth. Or possibly they were the last to know. They were never noted for the clarity of their press releases. Funny thing was, once I heard the FAI denial, I knew that the meeting was definitely going ahead.

...Or possibly they were the last to know....

Actually this is the best explaination I've seen :D

Just why would the manager let his employers know his plans to bring back a retired player after all!!

Typical FAI farce....Genesis me hole!

The FAI are hardly going to tell us that Keane and Kerr are in talks, they both wouldn't be allowed walk to the shop without being harrassed by journalists.

Then perhaps a "no comment" or "we don't respond to speculation" would be more appropriate.

Besides, the point is that they issued two contrary statements hours apart. The situation hadn't changed as a meeting had been flagged several hours before the denial.

Further Update. Newstalk reported last night that the FAI have changed position again. Having denied it, then confirmed it, they are now back at 'no meeting is taking place'. All in 24 hours. Muppets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Muppets.

Are you really surprised though??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Am slightly surprised actually. Kerr does not like all of the messing around that went on in the McCarthy era and is straight down the middle kind of guy. I am sure that if he had planned to talk to Roy, he would have said it to the powers that be, if only as a courtesy. The FAI releasing and then changing a statement may show some amateurism, but who knows whether they weren't telling the truth in the first place and then Kerr, to deflect some attention asked them to deny a meeting. As has already been said, why would he want himself and Roy hounded by the press about something when they could have a quick meeting in private and thrash it out there without the press coverage and speculation that has been going on.

Who knows, maybe the FAI are actually playing it smart at the behest of the manager.

Further Update. Newstalk reported last night that the FAI have changed position again. Having denied it, then confirmed it, they are now back at 'no meeting is taking place'. All in 24 hours. Muppets.
    Off the Ball isn't on until 7, your better off looking at soccercentral.ie for updates. I couldv'e told you that yesterday afternoon.:)

Advertisement