Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing from USB Modem to Modem/Router

Options
  • 06-04-2004 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm buying a 2nd pc soon so decided to think ahead and install a modem/router for my adsl. Bought US Robotics 9003, ran throught the set up to install it. Connected adsl line and ethernet cable so the router lights are now Power (green), ADSL (green), Ethernet (orange for 100Mb). Trouble is, before I get to the router configuration screen I get an error saying "Set is unable to detect your router/modem, please check cables" even though the ethernet light is flashing to show traffic while it's being "detected".
    My only option then is to cancel setup which then uninstalls any files created during setup.
    I've tried to run ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew but it fails on the renew part.

I'm sure it's something simple I'm missing, but I'm a total noob when it comes to routers/networks.
    Thanks for any help.

fyi, I'm running xp pro sp1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Can no-one offer any help?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

What I have set up is an Ethernet modem supplied by Eircom. DSL line goes in there, Ethernet cable comes out of said modem and goes to my Belkin router. This lights up the WAN light on my router and i have 3 comps coming off this router. Dont tell Eircom though.

Anyway, I dont understand, is yours a modem/router combined?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Yep, it's a combined modem/router with an ethernet cable connected to my pc. Ethernet light is on and I've managed to set it up as an ethernet modem, but this won't allow a 2nd pc to access the internet unless my pc is turned on.

Advertisement