Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using PHP/MySQL/Apache in Win2k?

Options
  • 06-04-2004 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭

I've tried some of those package things which install and configure these three, but the problem is they're always running (as services in Win2k) every time I start the PC, which is not what I want (I'm not actually serving - I just want them for testing, and I have no space for Linux)!

Is there any way to install these three programs so they only start when you want them to? I've tried making new profiles and stuff but they still come up every time I log on.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭musician.ie

Could you change the startup type of those services from automatic to manual, in ControlPanel/Administrative Tools/Services? I don't have it setup on my win2k box so this is just a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yep, in your services control panel, change their startup from Automatic to Manual.

Then you can create a small batch file on your desktop with two lines in it:-

net start apache
    net start mysql

That'll start both the services for you.

I also have a second batch file on my desktop to stop the services (If I want to play a silicon-raping game for example) containing the lines:-

net stop apache
    net stop mysql

Easy peasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

aye,change to manual - and i'm pretty sure apache and php come with batch files to start/stop services already...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

Originally posted by Karoma
    aye,change to manual - and i'm pretty sure apache and php come with batch files to start/stop services already...

They certainly do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Hmm, I thought I tried that that before (changing to manual) and they still didn't stop. I'll try it again though, and try make some batch files (haven't done them in a few years!).

Would it just be "net start/stop php" for PHP then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

This is probably your friend. It's a combination install for Apache/ MySql and PHP. You just start/ stop the whole lot with one batch file rather than managing them separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

PHP isn't a service, it's module that get's loaded when apache is loaded, so once it's installed you can forget about it.

One thing to watch out for - if you installed the winmysqladmin client when you installed MySql, by default that loads on startup and also starts the MySql server, even if it's set to manual.

Advertisement