Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When did the attitude era end?

• 06-04-2004 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

On my last thread I discussed the effects of the attitude era.

Many believe this time in wrestling to have begun either on the night Bret Hart was screwed in Montreal, or the night of Wrestle Mania 13 when Austin became the new fan favourite during his infamous match with Bret Hart. Its ironic that both these occasions, didnt just feature Bret Hart, but where the key factors in the end of his WWE tenure. As much as Hogan was the face of the Sports Entertainment era, Bret was the face of the New Generation era.

Many people believe the attitue era is over. My question is, when do you believe thje attitude era ended. Ive included a poll to help.

Hanza

When did the attitude era end? 19 votes

It hasn't ended yet...
    0% 0 votes
    The end of Wrestlemaina 17
    5% 1 vote
    Survivor Series 2001, with the end if the alliance
    26% 5 votes
    The last Nitro
    5% 1 vote
    When Brock Lesner bet the rock for the WWE title
    26% 5 votes
    The night of the first brand split
    10% 2 votes
    Austins departure from the WWE
    0% 0 votes
    The night of Brock Lesners debut
    5% 1 vote
    The Invasion PPV
    5% 1 vote
    Other... please specify
    15% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

it ended before it started tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Originally posted by Skud
    it ended before it started tbh

Could you explain that please?

I think it ended with Wrestlemania 17. Thats when WWE started going to the ****s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Other: When Ecksor decided to stamp down his foot and ruin this board. The precise moment the attitude era ended was when all the regular posters from this board moved to www.smiaras.com/forums

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

wrestlemania XX according to vinnie mac!!

"WRESTLEMANIA WHERE IT ALL BEGINS AGAIN!"

this was the end of the attitude era and a direction for the company

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by Davey Devil
    Other: When Ecksor decided to stamp down his foot and ruin this board. The precise moment the attitude era ended was when all the regular posters from this board moved to www.smiaras.com/forums

I should point out that nothing has actually changed on this forum, you just didn't get your own way and didn't get immediate change because you stamped your foot.

Anyway, good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Hanza

What has happened? I was away from the boards for 3 days... I come back and everyone is gone. What the fuk happened?

Hanza

Originally posted by ecksor
    I should point out that nothing has actually changed on this forum, you just didn't get your own way and didn't get immediate change because you stamped your foot.

Anyway, good luck.

Ecksor your attitude at the begining of that thread was dismisive. If you read my first post I make no demands but ask for assistance. Your initial response was what got me angry and after that I admit I didn't behave well - a baby throwing his toys out of his pram would be the appropriate Analogy. This was based on my assumption that you were not taking the request seriously based on your lack of respect for Pro Wrestling and it's fans - something that I still believe to be true.

As I say, nothing has actually changed on this forum since I became co-mod (I've edited exactly one post to add a spoiler), so blaming me for killing it is obviously based upon the Feedback / Suggestions thread upon which you admit you behaved badly.

I have very little opinion on Pro Wrestling and its fans but I don't know how to convince you of that.

You have had nothing to do because all the posters have left to join the new forum. I admit that my behaviour could have been better but it was as a direct result of you not taking the request seriously.

I still don't understand why you were so against making Nero a co-mod, however that was your decision and it's yours to make. We will now do our wrestling posting in the new forum where we won't bother you anymore.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Davey Devil
    You have had nothing to do because all the posters have left to join the new forum.

Yes, but (not sure if you're seeing my point or not), that's not exactly "stamping down my foot and ruining this board". If you had said that I'd killed it with inaction, we could have disagreed but at least you'd have made some sense.
    I admit that my behaviour could have been better but it was as a direct result of you not taking the request seriously.

You assumed the request wasn't being taken seriously. The request was treated as I'd treat any other similar request (I sent a PM to the existing moderator to get his/her feedback).
    I still don't understand why you were so against making Nero a co-mod, however that was your decision and it's yours to make.

To start with I didn't know him at all (apart from some stories I heard a few years ago). I'm not in the habit of appointing moderators without some consultation with existing moderators or fellow admins.

Admittedly, after some of the posts on that thread (and particularly after he apparently registered 'TheCrock' to make a few comments at the end of the thread) I was definitely against making him a moderator.
    We will now do our wrestling posting in the new forum where we won't bother you anymore.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

To start with I didn't know him at all

Exactly Ecksor, infact you know absolutely nothing about this board. You know nothing about pro wrestling, you refused to accept this point. Maybe it hasn't happened so far but you wouldn't be able to spot a spoiler a mile off. Someone could mention something about a character in relation to something that happened on raw and you would not have a clue whether to edit it or not.
    I missed the whole thing too but I've read up on what happned and you obviously pissed off everyone so don't just say they left for no reason.

Originally posted by Bungalow Bill
    Exactly Ecksor, infact you know absolutely nothing about this board.

Ok, so did you expect me to make a decision straight away without consultation?
    You know nothing about pro wrestling, you refused to accept this point.

I've not claimed to know anything about pro wrestling. I've admitted I know next to nothing about it on a few occasions.
    Maybe it hasn't happened so far but you wouldn't be able to spot a spoiler a mile off. Someone could mention something about a character in relation to something that happened on raw and you would not have a clue whether to edit it or not.

Perhaps not, but those posts can be reported like any other and persistent offenders can be warned.
    I missed the whole thing too but I've read up on what happned and you obviously pissed off everyone so don't just say they left for no reason.

That's not what I'm saying. Re-read what I said. The fact that that group are annoyed with me is plain. We've had a disagreement about how decisions are made. What I am saying is that it isn't accurate to imply that I've somehow changed this forum with my iron fist, which is what Davey Devil is doing with his comment.
    When Ecksor decided to stamp down his foot and ruin this board.

The only thing that has changed on this forum is that they all left. That was their choice to make, but I want to be clear that it was their choice and that it was because of a dispute on an entirely different forum. I do not accept that my sole action on this forum (the addition of spoiler tags to one reported post) is stamping down my foot and ruining this forum or that I somehow forced them into doing what they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Ah, the Attitude era is alive and well, at least here. :p

To answer Hanzas question, I think the WWF/E's version ended with the demise of WCW. Not with the purchase, but a while before that when the WWF/E didn't have to try as hard to win. They attempted to keep things going, but it seemed more vulgar than "attitude", at least to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

When Ecksor decided to stamp down his foot and ruin this board.

every one who has left is ruining this forum not ecksor. Has he done exactly anything wrong yet as far as i can see he hasnt.
    Just because you all wanted nero as co mod and he didnt get it. it reminds me of when children dont get what they want.

Originally posted by phenom
    every one who has left is ruining this forum not ecksor. Has he done exactly anything wrong yet as far as i can see he hasnt.
    Just because you all wanted nero as co mod and he didnt get it. it reminds me of when children dont get what they want.

I agree.

So far ecksor has been totally fair, and Im sickened by the immaturity of some of this boards regulars. Guys, grow the fuk up. The fact that he isnt exactly Vince Russo, has no baring on the fact that he has handled this situation better then the GAA/Pro wrestling fight a year ago.

If someone of the regulars wanna do a Steve Austin and run away when they dont get their way, thats fine by me.... I signed up to boards to post on this forum, and Im not leaving...

Calm down guys. Oh and thanks for giving all us REAL pro wrestling fans a bad name :mad:

Hanza

Oh and PS:

Can we get back to the origional topic....

Hanza

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

i have to say when nitro ended and ecw i liked the different styles of wrestling and the storylines but now because its all wwe it just ruined it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

Originally posted by Hanza
    So far ecksor has been totally fair,

did u read the post on F/S, all this blew up when ecksor didnt take the request seriously on that thread, and allowed numerous posters to flamebait us, but pulled us up everytime we replied to them.

Im sickened by the immaturity of some of this boards regulars. Guys, grow the fuk up.

seriously. your lecturing the majority about growing up? u? do u remember the GAA fight? u wanna get sick, thats probly cause u have ur head up the admins arse. musnt smell of roses up there after all.
    The fact that he isnt exactly Vince Russo, has no baring on the fact that he has handled this situation better then the GAA/Pro wrestling fight a year ago.

Hanza u were one of the major causes of that row so i dont see how the fact that this hasnt degenerated to that level reflects well on you.

i agree he has handled modding fine, but by his own admission hes had nothing to do (and thats not intended to be a dig at ecksor)
    If someone of the regulars wanna do a Steve Austin and run away when they dont get their way, thats fine by me....

i seem to remember u taking ur ball on an extended absense after everything blew up so i dont think ur the one to be throwing stones in glass houses here.

I signed up to boards to post on this forum, and Im not leaving...

funny, i dont remember anyone asking you to. in fact ur about the only pro wrestling board member who wasnt invited to join the new forum. funny that. wonder y that was?
    Calm down guys. Oh and thanks for giving all us REAL pro wrestling fans a bad name :mad:

oh my god. if u act like ur little tantrum didnt bring down the general opinions of people towards wrestling fans then u really are warped.its funny, with ur head up ur arse ud imagine ud realise that ur shit sthinks too.:rolleyes:

oh and btw where were you when all this went down, oh whats that.,... u were away... funny that, and wow u come back just in time so ur mate bombidol can make u the new mod. watch this space people

• Advertisement

Originally posted by whosurpaddy
    did u read the post on F/S, all this blew up when ecksor didnt take the request seriously on that thread

One joking comment (oh and the :rolleyes: because Davey Devil took it seriously) and suddenly I have half the wrestling board on shouting for results. If I'd known then what I know now I wouldn't have made that comment, but I didn't realise that people were going to be so sensitive to things.

Incidentally, as things progressed, bombidol ended up suggesting NeroTheExtreme for moderator.
    and allowed numerous posters to flamebait us, but pulled us up everytime we replied to them.

I've re-read the thread and all my posts were about how ye were going about the campaign to see the mod you wanted installed. I didn't comment upon the flaming or the flame-baiting, (rightly or wrongly), so I don't see where that comment comes from.

Try to keep your posts civil.

One joking comment (oh and the :rolleyes: because Davey Devil took it seriously) and suddenly I have half the wrestling board on shouting for results. If I'd known then what I know now I wouldn't have made that comment, but I didn't realise that people were going to be so sensitive to things.

we all know that now, and as several of us have said, if we could do things over we would do it a lot differantly.

I've re-read the thread and all my posts were about how ye were going about the campaign to see the mod you wanted installed. I didn't comment upon the flaming or the flame-baiting, (rightly or wrongly), so I don't see where that comment comes from.

im not going to go through the thread bit by bit to rake up an arguement. i think the majority want to let it lye, i only brought it up because i wanted to evidence a counter arguement to what hanza said.

im not going to go through the thread bit by bit to rake up an arguement. i think the majority want to let it lye, i only brought it up because i wanted to evidence a counter arguement to what hanza said.

Noted, but if you're going to use evidence that involves me, I'm feel entitled to point out if I feel you are mistaken. Anyway, people can make up their own minds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭irishman_abroad

seriously. your lecturing the majority about growing up? u? do u remember the GAA fight? u wanna get sick, thats probly cause u have ur head up the admins arse. musnt smell of roses up there after all...........

oh my god. if u act like ur little tantrum didnt bring down the general opinions of people towards wrestling fans then u really are warped.its funny, with ur head up ur arse ud imagine ud realise that ur **** sthinks too.

Thats a lot of asses. :D Must have 2 heads or something........

never mind I can see how thatll be read by some

God it's like going around in circles... People are going to blow up about this again and again whether they leave or not. can I just say "most wrestling fans" were labelled for comments other people said. If you look back I tried to remain as impartial to the argument as possible. It should be noted that the wrestling fans were not the only ones that were giving out. At one stage my comments were ignored because ppl were too caught up in the fighting (they were simple points). I didn't slate anyone and I tried to calm things down. If you label me as a traitor fine, but I'd rather go talk to knowlegable ppl (about this subject) and avoid bitching at every cost possible. This is a wrestling discussion forum not a warzone. Admins/Mods will be the way they are just like posters/plebs. Nothing is going to change so deal with it everyone please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Let's just discuss wrestling...

I don't think the attitude era has fully gone away. Sure, the wrestling has moved on. We've got more amateur-style matches rather than hardcore-style matches, but the mindset of the attitude era still seems to be there. What I mean by that is that the format of the Raw shows has practically remained the same - open with 20min promo, match, backstage skit, match, backstage skit, match... etc. Plus while the women's division has improved, there's still the T&A and Lawler chanting puppies.

But yeah, the wrestling itself is moving on.

wrestling has changed i suppose but in the context i wouldn't define it as the attitude era. It's just like a language. As time goes on and slang is introduced words become different (abbreviated etc). We won't notice a drastic change again for a long time

ok whosurpaddy!

That fight was over a year ago. I accepted responsibility, I still do and I have apoligised countless times, which includes posting a apoligy on the GAA board.(Which was actually recieved well by the GAA posters, considering my stupidity) So I dont know what else I can do. I cant justify what I did, but (take this as a childish excuse or not) I can remember that day perfectly as I was mugged and beaten up in temple bar. I stated that I wasnt thinking correctly and if some one wants to painfully dig up that post, It will say somewhere in it that I had other things on my mind beyond my control.

So once again. Im sorry...

Regarding my last post on this thread. I will not go back on what I said. I was away busy, and when i caught up on goings on, I seriously thought the childishness was funny to the point of imbarrising. I stoped acting that way ages ago. Im sorry if you disagree but FFS its a public board dude.
    seriously. your lecturing the majority about growing up? u? do u remember the GAA fight? u wanna get sick, thats probly cause u have ur head up the admins arse. musnt smell of roses up there after all.
    funny, i dont remember anyone asking you to. in fact ur about the only pro wrestling board member who wasnt invited to join the new forum. funny that. wonder y that was?
    Oh by the way, name calling really doesnt bother me :)
    im not going to go through the thread bit by bit to rake up an arguement
    By the way, thats hypocritical!

Hanza

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Actually, having seen this Eugene character tonight, maybe the attitude era hasn't ended just yet :dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭markomac316

Erm i can see obviously a lot of **** has gone down here, any chance of everyone stop getting their knickers in a twist and go back to the topic?.

Erm the attitude era ended when the Monday Night Wars ended in my opinion because there was no more need for the shock t.v the finger flicking t.v because there was no competition {im not talking about the last nitro im talking about the point where wwe beat wcws ass so bad they knew they werent gonna win no more}

Originally posted by smiaras
    Yeah Hanza. Just don't forget the fact that you were one of the people who was looking for a new co-mod, you took part in tepoll (in fact we set up a second poll because you were upset that you missed out on the first one & you lost, not that that matters), so you're going on about our behaviour yet you were part of it up until the F/S thread. That thread was about getting a co-mod so how you go on about our childishness is beyond me.

Alany the GAA mod made specific reference to the Pro wrestling poster who went on to his forum, so is this part of the embaressing childish behaviour you are talking about???

A lot of the childish behaviour that the mods on the F/S thread was about how we went bahind bombidol's back on the issue, so you weer party to this so don't go washing your hands of the matter.

You were party to a lot of the goings on before the F/S thread so stop polishing your halo, esp because the co-mod job is going. I'm not going to spoil that thread but as I said before on it myself, yourself, paddy and nero should not be up for the mod job. We were all part of a poll which the members of the forum voted for and decided Nero should go for the position. As has been explained this vote has no bearing on who the co-mod should be, but I think it looks bad on your part if you go for the job. Sorry you don't feel the same way as the Co-mod thread shows.

Sorry for going off topic again but I didn't feel like posting this on the co-mod thread.

Fair enough. What else can I say.

But Ive apoligised and said I wouldnt act like that again. I can remember when anyone else ever apoligised and accepted responsibility for what they did in the wrong.

Yeah I took part in the poll. But I still think that some people (Im not mentioning names, cos the list of people that hate me on this board is growing anyway) acted like kids.

Im not a god dam saint by any means, but I say what I mean. I dont have a quam with you Simaras, I never did. And yeah, i cant disagree with some of the stuff you said about me. But I feel like Im being pigeon holed cos Ive a differnet oppinion to everyone else.

Hanza

ok whosurpaddy!

That fight was over a year ago. I accepted responsibility, I still do and I have apoligised countless times, which includes posting a apoligy on the GAA board.(Which was actually recieved well by the GAA posters, considering my stupidity) So I dont know what else I can do. I cant justify what I did, but (take this as a childish excuse or not) I can remember that day perfectly as I was mugged and beaten up in temple bar. I stated that I wasnt thinking correctly and if some one wants to painfully dig up that post, It will say somewhere in it that I had other things on my mind beyond my control.

So once again. Im sorry...

Regarding my last post on this thread. I will not go back on what I said. I was away busy, and when i caught up on goings on, I seriously thought the childishness was funny to the point of imbarrising. I stoped acting that way ages ago. Im sorry if you disagree but FFS its a public board dude.

Oh by the way, name calling really doesnt bother me :)
    By the way, thats hypocritical!
    Hanza

im not looking for another apology hanza, im asking you to look in the mirror before you accuse everyone around you of being childish, and realise that you do it too.

you may have "stopped acting that way ages ago" but that doesnt stop people associating that behaviour with you, it was brought up by a GAA mod on the F/S thread. I guess they havent seen this new reformed hanza.

i was a bit overzealous in stating my point above but the general message i was trying to convey is still valid.

I dont think your the best person to lecturing people about making rash posts and being childish, and the language you used (being embarrassed, getting sick etc) really annoyed me.

i imagine even you would agree with me that your not the person to be telling people how to behave.

i imagine even you would agree with me that your not the person to be telling people how to behave.
    Well... I guess I agree. Ok, I shouldnt be calling anyone names! I sorry whom ever I offended!

I may have called people childish, and mabey that was wrong, but what I got so steamed over is how I got boicotted cos I took Esckors side. I was totally shut out of the boards answer to the clique, and yeah that kinda sucked and I was a bit upset over that, but Im gonna stand by what I said.

I just want to end this argument now, because frankly it sucks! And Im sick of this boards majority of quality threads being blackened by fights, especially if Im envolved! So again, I was wrong... Im sorry! Can we just end this guys, I seriously just come here to talk about wrestling!

Anyway, this is the last I will post on this topic! So take this as genuine, butt kissing or whatever... but Im honestly looking for a truse!

Hanza

• Advertisement

Off topic, or on topic.... WHATEVER!

Looks like the last Nitro wins!

Hanza

definitely. well said.

ill stop posting about your ass now :D

Thanks man!

Hanza