Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy alternative to coffee?

• 06-04-2004 2:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

I drink way too much coffee, and it's not good.

It's getting to the point where I'm tired and grumpy if I haven't had a cup within an 2 hours of getting up. I'm drinking at least 8 cups a day, and it's not doing my digestive system any good.

Basically, I want to get back down the point where I'll only have my coffee with a sandwich or a biscuit instead of when I get the urge.

I'll drink tea, except that it's difficult to buy tea anywhere that's properly brewed. Usually it's weak as crap.

Anyone any suggestions? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭rs

I've moved myself from a coffee addiction to a hot chocolate addiction :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

I'd say hot chocolate aswell, it works for me when I need something hot that won't keep me awake half the nite.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

Pure Assam tea from Mark's is quite strong and ideal in the morning. Early Grey is brewed with Bergamot which is a very aromatic citrus fruit and gives you a wee bit of a kick in the morning. As for evenings nothing beats camomile, most nature shops sell a camomile with spiced apple. The Assam and Earl Grey aren't weak, the others are, yet very appetising, and certainly a better alternative to coffee.

If this doesn't help try drinking Lattes and the like, only filling the mug with a third of coffee. And as for the mornings and the "extra kick" notion, coffee only stimulates you for roughly fifteen minutes after it's got into your system so you'd be much better off with a banana smoothie which would give you a slow energy release for a few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Nestlé do a drink called "Caro", it's a roasted malted barley, barley, chicory and rye blended beverage. Doesn't taste anything like coffee, but nice as a hot drink. Better than herbal tea at least.

Drink 8 cups coffee daily this week, 6 next week, 4... replace the omitted ones with drink of choice, etc... is the most sensible way to come off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

barleycup, it should be available from any decent health food shop.
    i found it to be a great alternative to coffee

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Try herbal and fruit teas with a spoon of sugar or honey in them. Warming, light and caffeine free. And available everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Fruit juice is a great wake up drink sometimes. I find the more tangy/bitter ones quite good, like pineapple juice or grapefruit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Originally posted by seamus
    I drink way too much coffee, and it's not good.

now that you've left UCD no excuse for not having coffee that is good :)

Advertisement