Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pay off loan?

Options
  • 06-04-2004 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭

bit of financial advice needed here

I have a car loan with about €8k left on it.
    I also have shares worth about the same amount

should I sell the shares and pay off the car loan?
    the stock market is fairly sluggish at the moment - I could then put the money I'm no longer paying on the loan into my ssia and make 25% (or whatever the rate on it is)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

First priority - add to SSIA - will gain 25% in 2 or 3 years plus interest, that's about 12% a year.

Second priority - pay off your loan. You're probably paying 10 or 11% on it.

Sell the shares, no point borrowing to invest. You can always buy new shares when your finances are more settled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Would paying off the car loan early give a bad credit history or no difference ?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by gurramok
    Would paying off the car loan early give a bad credit history or no difference ?
    It would be considered neutral to good.

Advertisement