Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Players of the Year

• 06-04-2004 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

In the Premier League.

Who do you reckon should get Player of the Year, and Young Player of the year?

Maybe Terry Henry is a dead cert for the senior player, but what about young player?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Anyone know when voting is done now?

It used to be very early - is this still the case? Henry will def get the writers award as that is voted for later.

The players one may be more open if voting was early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Henry for senior

Samuel for young player.

I'm a Villa fan and I can firmly say my opinion is a bit biased, but he has forced his way into the english squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Young player has to be Cristiano Ronaldo, has to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

Henry has already won Player of the year I reckon - I think Kolo Toure and John Terry will finish runners-up if its genuine but defenders aren't usually recoginsed in these things.
    Young player of they year - I'm not sure if Kolo Toure is eligible being 22? If he is, then it simply HAS to be him, he's just been incredible this season. If he's not, then I'm struggling to think of names - Ronaldo, Defoe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Henry will win the Senior award.....is Kevin Nolan 2 old yet??? then I would go for Rooney again!! nobody young has really stood out......maybe Ronaldo with his performances in the last few weeks but most of the season he has been hit and miss

Or actually the best in a team with a bad season wud be Milner......I wud take Milner

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Draupnir
    Young player has to be Cristiano Ronaldo, has to be

April first has come and gone mate! :D

Btw, Gary Neville was interviewed a couple of weeks back, afer the PFA votes had already been submitted. he said he voted for Henry as player of the year and his Team of the year included 6 Arsenal players: Campell, Toure, Cole, Vieira, Pires and Henry I think.

Seriously, he has played very well at times and he pissed all over the supposed best team in England at the weekend. If any other young player had been outstanding then Id vote for them, otherwise its Ronaldo for me. You can give a player of the year award to Milner, his team are in a relegation battle and he hasnt been very good for them either.

Milner has been the more consistant than Ronaldo has been!! even though he has been playing in a bad team him and Smith have been 2 of the best

Originally posted by Draupnir
    Seriously, he has played very well at times and he pissed all over the supposed best team in England at the weekend. If any other young player had been outstanding then Id vote for them, otherwise its Ronaldo for me. You can give a player of the year award to Milner, his team are in a relegation battle and he hasnt been very good for them either.

He hsan't performed consistently, he has a few good games, but a few bads too, he also hasn't played that many games.

Jloyd Samuel of the Villa, has been outstanding, solid in defence and great going forward.

• Advertisement

Ive not seen many of Villa's games so I will decline to comment. If hes been as good as you say the fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Senior has definatly got to be Henry.
    Young player of the year, IMHO, has got to be Volz in Fulham. Nobody has had as much successful tackle percentage as he did. If he was still in Arsenal he simply wouldn't be given his chance to play and therefore a waste of talent.

Seriously, I mean he was impressive in the first half but he wasn't exactly running us ragged. He kept getting into position to cause a goal but would then knock his cross against the first defender, usually Sol campell.
    I admit that he's there or therabouts for Young Player but thats more due to a lack of outstanding candidates.
    Samuel's a good player but again, defenders usually don't get award recognition unfortunately :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

IMO players who have had excellent seasons:

senior player: Robbie Keane (spurs), Thierry Henry (arsenal), Alan Shearer newcastle)

young player (one of) : Ledley King (spurs), Jlloyd Samuel (villa),

other
    Kolo Toure* (arsenal), Scott Parker* (charlton/chelsea), Mikael Forssell*(chelsea/Birmingham)

*dont know if they can be called a young players at 23

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

henry for senior player(looks a dead cert)
    is that 2/3 in a row if he gets it!?

young player is going to be close
    iff kolo toure is eligable then he will get it other then that it could go to anybody really(ronaldo, milner, etc...)

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭lad12

James Milner for young player
    Frank Lampard for senior player

team of the season

Robinson
    Gallas
    Terry
    Woodgate
    Cole
    Pires
    Lampard
    Viera
    Duff
    Henry
    Shearer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Originally posted by lad12

team of the season

Robinson
    Gallas
    Terry
    Woodgate
    Cole
    Pires
    Lampard
    Viera
    Duff
    Henry
    Shearer

What...No Manchester United players...are you mad man?....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

which united players deserve to be in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Jermaine Pennant is another young player who has made the best of a bad season for the club he is playing for. Samuel has been quite impressive for the last three or four weeks but was nothing exceptional before that. Another possibility is Darren Fletcher, who has had alot of pitch time this season, but it is tough to call who will win it. Henry has got to be a shoe in for senior, although I think it is voted for in January, at which time United were top and RVN was scoring as often as Henry! Over the course of the season it should be Henry!

Originally posted by Waylander
    Samuel has been quite impressive for the last three or four weeks but was nothing exceptional before that.

Sorry have to disagree, been very consistent all season.

Just being more in the spotlight the last few weeks after scoring against Charlton and being called into the full English Team

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Maybe your right, you do not hear much about villa on Sky so I would not have heard how well he was playing. I was more thinking of the fact that villa were almost relegation fodder for the first few months of the season, and it is unlikely for a defender to play well through a run like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

If it was voted in January Shearer has a huge chance of winning it , he was scoring a lot more goals than Henry and Nist back then ( too bad he has sloed down a bit :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

for me it has to be either

Stephen Gerrard or Frank Lampard for senior vote.
    The two of them have been outstanding all season but as usual it will go to a striker
    so prob Henry

Maybe Jermaine Pennant for Young Player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by irish1
    Henry for senior

Samuel for young player.

I'm a Villa fan and I can firmly say my opinion is a bit biased, but he has forced his way into the english squad
    Originally posted by irish1

April first has come and gone mate!

:D

Depens on when the Vote was . If january RVN would have been in the frame for senior considering how he ended last season and didn't get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Henry aside,

As a newcomer to the elite group of regular man of the match winners this season and given the resolve and determination he showed in maintaining his position in a midfield week in week out while zillions of £s worth of other midfielders watch from the bench

Frank Lampard deserves a mention here

Especially for such performances as against my team, Blackburn Rovers, where only Brad Friedel's ridiculous ability pulled his header out of the top corner which would have been his hat-trick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I have to agree with one of the previous posters, Nolan deserves young player. He's only 20, a midfielder and has about 12 goals.

Lampard hasn't got a chance of player of the year, too inconsistant. Gerrard for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ferdinand :)

You can't say he wasn't the most important player in the entire year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭markomac316

Erm Henry, and a long outside chance to Saha who I think had a fantastic season and an even further shout out to Gavin Rae, Ive been a big admirer of his this season has done really well in a poor club, if Wolves have any chance of staying up its through him..his goals and work rate has been top class. I'd like to see a defender or even a goal keeper get it in which case I think Given or Robinson or John Terry or Toure.

Young player is a lot harder Rooney has been on form recently, Ronaldo hasnt done enough to impress, that arsenal left back {the french one} played alright but enuf to get a mention honestly have no idea who it could be no young player has really stuck out. Ill dare say if Toure is eligble he'll get it, or even Robinson or Kirkland if they are eligable.

As you've noticed I like seeing the un-sung heroes do well, i like my goalkeepers, as i am one myself:) only people who appreaciate you is your defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Originally posted by markomac316
    Gavin Rae

Alex Rae? I dont think so.

• Advertisement

Wayne Bridge :D

THought Nolan was over 21 thats why he cant play for the England U21's and the senior squad dont want him......hence why every1 was mentioning him for a position in the senior squad for Republic.....maybe Im wrong but I think he is too old now for the young player

I wud go wit Samual as well if he is young enough......forgot about him earlier......everytime I have seen him play this season he has been class and even O'Leary says he is Villa's most improved player........if 2 old then Milner or even Pennent but I think Milner's overall play has been better....also scored a few more....dont forget he is also playin on left when he is a right sider player to accomodate Pennent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Yea depends very much on when the vote took place, end of last season Scholes was on fire for utd (dont mean the hair). Yet the vote was back in Jan/Feb so he wasnt there or there abouts. For me player of the year has been Terry Henry with maybe Lampard and Edu a bit behind. Edu's contribution this season has been huge imo. That said Duffs contribution for chelski when he has played has been fantastic.

I reckon Henry & Toure. Think J'Loyd deserves something, maybe a slice of cake or something.

john

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I have to say thierry Henry for the senior player.He has been fantastic all season so it would be a sham to not give it to him even though other players have impressed as well.

There is absolutely no way ronaldo desrves young player. He hasnt been good at all.If someone thought him how to avoid the first defender when crossing the ball and how to track back and possibly make a tackle then he might be in the running. Man yoo fans stop saying him coz he doesnt deserve it.

I would give it to Pennant.he has been excellent for leeds all season.

Its not always the most deserving that gets it - remember Ginola won it ahead of Keane a few years back on the back of a few good games around the time of the votes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Henry has been outstanding for Arsenal. I think Duff has been crucial for Chelsea, just look at how Chelsea fell apart when he was injured a few weeks backs there. Ronaldo has been nowhere near consistant enough to be considered. Suprised no one has mentioned Forsell either, not so well known but has an excellent strike rate for the season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 doozerjack

Definitely depends on when the votes were cast. If Henry wins it, I hope he has the good grace to hand it over to one of his team-mates. These awards really should be voted on post-season, after the crunch games have been played. There's rarely any reflection of the season as a whole in the first few months. Even Spurs top the table occassionally early on!! Henry's more Cantona than Zidane. World's #2???!
    I can think of half a dozen Chelsea players who should be in contention, but it really should have depended on how the next few weeks pan out.
    How about Angel for an outside chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭lad12

AS i said Yesterday Lampard for senior player...Once again last nite, he was one of chelski's better players...and he is proving that he can play in Europe..

He has to be in England team for euro 2004....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by neilbrady79
    THought Nolan was over 21 thats why he cant play for the England U21's and the senior squad dont want him......hence why every1 was mentioning him for a position in the senior squad for Republic.....maybe Im wrong but I think he is too old now for the young player
    I just checked, he's 21.
    AS i said Yesterday Lampard for senior player...Once again last nite, he was one of chelski's better players...and he is proving that he can play in Europe..
    If he plays like that week in week out he deserves the award but unfortunately he doesn't.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Funnily even though Henry seems likely to win the senior player of the year award, he probably isn't going to get the Arsenal fans player of the year award. Kolo Touré looks very likely to win it atm (and deservedly so, he's been the most consistent Arsenal player all season imo).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

22 goals and six assists for Henry (nine of those goals match winners). Those stats alone should give Henry the player of ther year but his work rate, and his abilty both on and off the ball as far as I am concerned are unrivalled in the premiership at the moment (Hurts to say that, was hoping Owen would be on course for Golden boot this year with Kewell giving the passes)

BTW how old do you need to be before you are not elligible for the young player ? I would like to see Shaun Wright Phillips in there if he is young enough at 23 or Jermaine Jenas (22) who has been holding down a more or less permanent place in a decent team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 MarkT

Originally posted by lad12

He has to be in England team for euro 2004....

Lamps for player of the year? Have you been on the drink? He's not even the midfielder of the year! TH will get it and should be followed closely by Gerrard. Lampard indeed...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Lad 12 says

No he wasn't one of chelseas better players. He Duff, Hasslebank, terry, gudjohnson, makelele and bridge were all better than him as was Gronkjaer when he came on. scored a goal but apart from that he did nothing. Which is exactly what he has been doing all season. He has scored some super goals but of the games I've watched he contributed little else.

Gerard, don't make me laugh. He might get Liverpools player of the year but he deserves nothing else. Henry is a dead cert. Don't have a clue who will get young player. Possibly ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Those stats on Henry are very interesting .
    This year he has 6 assists with 8 games to go .
    last year he ended up with over 20 .
    whats with the lack of assists from Henry ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭toffeeman

Henry for player of the year no doubt.

Lampard a close second though. He has really raised his game this year. I remember Giles and Dunphy giving out that 10 millions was such a waste of money.

Rooney for YPOTY. I am biased but he has been brilliant for Everton and England since christmas. He is only 18, if only he would stop picking up stupid yellow cards.

Best Irish player in the premiership this year has to Dean Kiely. I've seen three Charlton games live and he was always amazing each time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 joey#10

Ronaldo doesnt deserve young player of the year, hasnt been consistent enough. That award should go to John Terry. He may not be very young, he cant be no more than 23, i don know the rules, but anyway, hes been brilliant as captain this season and he'd get my vote, and hopefully he'll lift the european cup for claudio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 MarkT

Originally posted by AthAnRi
    No he wasn't one of chelseas better players. He Duff, Hasslebank, terry, gudjohnson, makelele and bridge were all better than him as was Gronkjaer when he came on. scored a goal but apart from that he did nothing. Which is exactly what he has been doing all season. He has scored some super goals but of the games I've watched he contributed little else.

Gerard, don't make me laugh. He might get Liverpools player of the year but he deserves nothing else. Henry is a dead cert. Don't have a clue who will get young player. Possibly ronaldo.

I wouldnt be that hard on Lampard comparing him to Jimmy, Gudjohnsen, Maka etc- he as had a better season than them. As for Gronks- Im bloody better than he is FFS. Wingers should be able to cross in my book.
    Gerrard has had an amazing season trying to lift a lot of mediocre players around him. He got man of the match in 8 games in a row from January and that was with him finishing on the losing side a few times! Henry is still a shoe in though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Originally posted by toffeeman
    Best Irish player in the premiership this year has to Dean Kiely. I've seen three Charlton games live and he was always amazing each time.

Are we not forgetting young Damien here?....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭thesecret7

players of the year:

Ronaldo
    Zidane
    Raúl
    Ze Roberto
    Guti
    Roberto Carlos
    Figo

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Aliminator

players of the year:

Ronaldo
    Zidane
    Raúl
    Ze Roberto
    Guti
    Roberto Carlos
    Figo

WTF???? do u want to put in beckham too for publicity appeal?

European Players:

Walter Pandiani (ripped up that myth about italian defences),
    Kolo Toure (legend/monster)
    Fernando Morientes
    Ludovic Giuly
    Makaay
    Benni McCarthy
    (all for now)

Premiership:

Brad Friedel (i wish Arsenal had him over Lehmann)
    Scott Parker (at charlton, was doing amazing. useless at chelsea)
    Tim Howard (he's been excellent most of the season)
    Volz
    Pennant
    that wolves lad....Rae?
    Duffster
    Viera
    Alan Smith (hasn't given up)
    Makelele
    JJloyd Samuel
    Shaun Wright-Phillips
    (Henry doesn't deserve a mention. lazy premaddona. can't handle pressure. never has. cost us last years 1/4 final with peno misses.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭thesecret7

do u want to put in beckham too for publicity appeal?

No, he is a donkey, and will never have this awards

• Advertisement
Advertisement