Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Players of the Year

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

While I think Zidane is the best player ever to have played football I don't think you can let any of the real madrid players get it except maybe Ronaldo.

None of the rest of them have had a particuarly good season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭markomac316

Alex Rae sorry mate your right but he did play fanatastic this season.

Lampard has been doing it in Europe but no enough in the premier.

Shearer could be in with a chance , Duff, Pires as well. Even Gerrard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

Henry for senior player

Toure or Terry for young player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Walter Pandiani (ripped up that myth about italian defences),
    Kolo Toure (legend/monster)
    Fernando Morientes
    Ludovic Giuly
    Makaay
    Benni McCarthy
    (all for now)

[/B]

I know these guys are flavour of the month but lets not get carried away, sure lets focus on who will successful next month. Duff? Deco? Valeron?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Walter Pandiani (ripped up that myth about italian defences),
    Kolo Toure (legend/monster)
    Fernando Morientes
    Ludovic Giuly
    Makaay
    Benni McCarthy
    (all for now)

[/B]

I know these guys are flavour of the month but lets not get carried away, sure lets focus on who will be successful next month. Duff? Deco? Valeron?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Mark T

He got man of the match in 8 games in a row from January and that was with him finishing on the losing side a few times!

And where was he at the start of the season when Liverpool needed him? He was giving interviews about how he prob would be off if Liverpool didn't make the Champs League.

Yes he is a decent player and has bags of talent, but a little overrated and def does not deserve player of the year.

Henry has proved that when he isn't playing Arsenal are an average team. He the difference.

As for lampard V Gronkjaer. I never said he was a better player I just said he had a better game than lampard on Tuesday. The balance swung when he came on for Parker.
    Ronaldo
    Zidane
    Raúl
    Ze Roberto
    Guti
    Roberto Carlos
    Figo

Learn something about football and then post messages. What you have there is the beginners guide to football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

After today's game, I think the list of possible candidates for Player of the year has been cut down to......1 ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

How about Giggs?
    He has been playing an absolute stormer this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Rooney will probably win it, despite being rather average and beady eyed.

Henry is like the T1000, just phenomenal.

I'm biased but I'll throw Stevie G's name into the hat. Gerrard has been our best player all season we'd have been lost without him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

John terry`s been outstanding this year.

samuel for young player award

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Glad to see a few shouts for shawn wright phillips... think he might be too old though...

pity Duff was injured for so long - he really is the difference for chelsea and he seems to have worked out how to not fall over himself...

John Terry and Lampard both very strong, Lampard in particular.

I think Henry's got to be favourite. With Rooney for young player.

I don't think Ronaldo will figure. It took him a while to bed in, give up the pointless flash and start playing - I think he looks an awful lot better now that at the start but not a chance that he'll even figure in the voting - I doubt if he will even be top 3 for YP...

But I'll happily eat my words if he gets the votes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

Kolo Toure Could get young player. He's young enough and its his first full season.
    it'd gall me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Henry for senior.

wayne bridge for young player if he's eligable.
    alan smith possibly but his discipline might count against him.

cant think of any other candidates worthy of young player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 MarkT

Originally posted by AthAnRi
    And where was he at the start of the season when Liverpool needed him? He was giving interviews about how he prob would be off if Liverpool didn't make the Champs League.

Yes he is a decent player and has bags of talent, but a little overrated and def does not deserve player of the year.

Henry has proved that when he isn't playing Arsenal are an average team. He the difference.

As for lampard V Gronkjaer. I never said he was a better player I just said he had a better game than lampard on Tuesday. The balance swung when he came on for Parker.

Learn something about football and then post messages. What you have there is the beginners guide to football.

At the start of the season Gerrard was injured! Plus I already stated that Henry was a deserved shoe in for player of the year- no question. But putting Lampard in any way in the same category of either of them is ludicrous IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Frank has been excellent and it was no suprise when his form dropped it coincided with the loss of form of Makelele. He was doing the defensive job more. Each season he has brought something new to his game. He has always been a player who has lacked finesse and technical ability but he makes up for that with his drive going forward.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Player of the year
    1.Henry 2.Lampard 3.Gerrard

Young player is up for grabs, I'd go for Shaun Wright Phillips (he's 22, whats the age limit?), Touré or Samuel.

Advertisement