Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well done Eircom

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by cc
    i'm looking forward to when you can get bb from the esb through a wall socket....bye bye eircom forever then.......:p

when will that be? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

according to my freqent daydreams very soon......;) .........nah, just read an article on this a few weeks ago, apparently some american power company are testing it out

ya its been discussed alot on these boards
    dos'nt look very likely to happen though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

i think TCP/IP is suffering from stockholm syndrome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Do know what happens when those Eircom sales guys call on the phone, and to the door asking me to switch back to Eircom from UTVIP. And I ask them sure, no problem if you get my line enabled for broadband.

Do you know what happens?.....Nothing everytime.

Personally the service I recieve for both Internet and Telephony from UTVIP, is head and shoulders above the service I get and ever got from Eircom. Plus its cheaper and saves me a couple of hundred of euro over what Eircom were charging me previously. Not Eircom never approached me with any special offers until I swtiched away from them. To me thats bad service. Even now they are trying to tempt me back with offers that are worse than what I'm current on. Bright the're not.

You'd expect a monoply that has is the biggest telephony operator and ISP in the country to provide the best and the cheapest service, due to the economies of scale it can bring to bear. But it doesn't. That says a lot about eircom.

Declaring your happy with Eircom service. Is like saying you've overpaid for goods and are delighted to have recieved what you paid for. I don't see whats so amazing about that. I'm going to open a carton of milk in a minute, and I won't be dancing around the room if it does in fact contain milk.

• Advertisement

I've just opened this carton of milk and .....;)

unless the said carton contains buttermilk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Declaring your happy with Eircom service. Is like saying you've overpaid for goods and are delighted to have recieved what you paid for. I don't see whats so amazing about that. I'm going to open a carton of milk in a minute, and I won't be dancing around the room if it does in fact contain milk.

You're absolutely right that eircom is dearer than other providers. That's a fact - but the point is that their broadband service is far more reliable than the other providers. This is how I can justify paying a little more than I would with IOL or UTV. For me, the reliability of eircom broadband has been almost perfect, having had it for almost a year now.

Using your milk analogy : I pay for a slightly dearer carton of milk which I know is always going to be fresh and tasty, whereas you buy cheaper milk elsewhere and it's a bit hit and miss - sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad. It's a personal choice.

The topic of this thread is about the quality of eircom's broadband product. It's not about eircom's wider business practices in the past or present, which many of us don't condone.

Actually its not personal choice. Eircom control the line. For me UTVIP Dialup is better than Eircoms broadband. Who's fault is that? Eircom. Who has the power to fix it? Eircom. So the only thing stopping me from getting Eircom Boardband is Eircom themselves.

This thread is about someone OPINION about their personal experience with Eircom. Did anyone switch to Eircom from another DSL provider? Does anyone have hard stats to prove that Eircom is more reliable? Has anyone switched from Eircom to another provider?

...ummm milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

I'd be happy with any of the isp's mentioned in this thread but unfortunately I can't get dsl cus eircom have no plans to upgrade my exchange (knocknacarra in Galway), NTL don't offer cable internet outside Lucan/Tallaght and there are no wireless isps in Galway.

Will somebody PLEASE put an end to my misery?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Actually its not personal choice. Eircom control the line. For me UTVIP Dialup is better than Eircoms broadband. Who's fault is that? Eircom. Who has the power to fix it? Eircom. So the only thing stopping me from getting Eircom Boardband is Eircom themselves.

I meant it's personal choice for those with the option of other providers. Your own situation must be really frustrating and it's understandable how you must feel about eircom. It just seems to me that a lot of people on these boards are unable to allow any praise of eircom go by without hijacking the thread telling us all that eircom are the spawn of satan. I'm not pointing this at you, but it can sometimes come across as being quite bigoted and arrogant with people wishing to forceably exert their views on others.

It's quite apparent when an eircom user posts a thread praising eircom's broadband product and it almost immediately attracts those I'm talking about above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

TCP/IP do you actually want a fight? - because your thread seems to be setup just for that; you even state it on your first post. What is the point of this, were is it going?:confused: WHY???!!!. Many of the threads about UTV and IOL have €ircon ppl saying how great their service is; we know it's great what do you want a pat on the back?

*Offler pats TCP/IP on the back

Happy?. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

well everyone jumps down peoples throats when things go bad its good to here from people who are happy with the service as well. i started a similar thread in relation to cdwow when i was very impressed with there customer service.

if this was people saying ibb was great you won't have people giving them loads about there opinion on it.

i just find it amusing the number of people who can't actually here a good word at all about eircom, down to the smallest detail, if i posted about getting good service off someone from tech support i'd have someone else post back yeah but 2months ago they charged you 74c a minute to use it didn't they, so fucking what thats not my point

tcp's point, he's happy with the bb service thats its, not how eircom are responsible for the expense of bb in ireland or the limited availabilty but the quality of service compared to the competitors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

I think eircom is very good the service has impoved

I LOVE EM ! ;) thanks for my adsl

Its not a comparitive judgement so its meaningless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Originally posted by quetzal
    Will somebody PLEASE put an end to my misery?

/me get his shotgun :)

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Final comment I was only expressing what i felt a good service in my opinion deserves to be mentioned and that is all I am doing. A lot of other people have posted and agreeded with me so children take you typical childish €ircon sh1t and grow up and live in the real world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

i also am happy with Eircom's service. Yes, i admit, the prices are a tad high, but i get sustained download speeds and fairly low pings. Yes, an IBB connection would be favourable by me, cheaper and lower pings, but unfortunately theres a dirty great house in the way of me and the mast.

this all said, i am currently happy, but this wont last forever. they are gonna enforce the cap soonish, rumor has it as june. the product then becomes useless for me, and I will have to probably cancel and look elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Originally posted by TCP/IP
    Final comment I was only expressing what i felt a good service in my opinion deserves to be mentioned and that is all I am doing. A lot of other people have posted and agreeded with me so children take you typical childish €ircon sh1t and grow up and live in the real world

Your the one not living in the real world. You are totally oblivious to how Eircom are responsible for the shambolic BB infrastruture we have in Ireland.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Davey Eircom are under no obligation to roll out broadband to anywere in the country they are a plc and there main reason for working like other business are profit and trying to please there shareholders. You should really get it out of your head that eircom owe you or anybody else anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

I have had experience of 3 Broadband providers in Ireland, namely Irish Broadband, ESAT / IOL and Eircom [Business Package].

Personally the most reliable has been ESAT. We have had many hours of downtime with Eircom, including 5 consecutive days of downtime (and for a company whose services and main channels of communication are mainly web based, this is not a good thing). Eircom didn't want to know about it and didn't send out an engineer for 4 days. He didn't seem to do anything and told us he didn't know what the problem was. Our connection mysteriously started working the next day.

Although, the less said about Irish Broadband the better.

With IOL I am currently experiencing high pings, but browsing and downloading seem fine, so I'm not too annoyed with it at the moment -- I still think it's a joke that they can't provide a stable service however.

Anyway, my 2c

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Seems to me that as soon as anyone praises Eircom one bit people are all over them like a rash.
    Personally I think Eircoms BB is excellent and wouldnt go back to dial up even if it was free.

How many posts have any of you lot read regarding Eircoms connection dropping/disconnecting,slow d/l speeds/high pings.I dont think I can find one.

All the complaints about Eircom are regarding price(which to me is reasonable because if I signed up to UTV/IOL then Id be posting elsewhere on these boards giving out about their service and as they say you get what you pays for)and their caps which again doesnt bother me one bit as all I use the BB for is online gaming.
    Again this thread is about Eircoms Broadband and not the rest of their business practices.
    It also seems that the ones slagging eircom off are those who either cant get BB or else have signed up for one of the packages with which there are "issues" at present.
    Just my 2 cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ken90

I hear people looking for a comparison between Eircom and the other broadband resellers.

I have Eircom in one location and Iol in another.

Both the original packages before the decrease in price

1 brief cutoff with Eircom in 3 Months, just needed rebooting, did not need tech support.

With Iol, I have daily (or more often) cutoffs, requiring reboots.

Iol tech suppoort is a joke, as you have to email the MD to get anybody to answer/return your calls.
    My Iol was down for 2 WEEKS at one stage!

I hate to praise Eircom but

:dunno:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Pity they can't fix my line so I can get ANY Broadband connection.
    Alleliujiah, Brother!
    Originally posted by quetzal
    unfortunately I can't get dsl cus eircom have no plans to upgrade my exchange (knocknacarra in Galway), NTL don't offer cable internet outside Lucan/Tallaght and there are no wireless isps in Galway.
    The exchange in Knocnknacarra is enabled, just most of the lines there can't handle DSL. My nextdoor neighbours have it but my line fails the test! (Clybaun Hgts btw)

Maybe Eircom provide an okay service to those precious few they deem worthy of BB but they're screwing over the rest of the country. Our taxes paid for their infrastructure (entitling ALL to decent service) and if you ask me the company is hardly a proper PLC. They're a national joke.

The caps are restrictive, the prices are over inflated (particularly when compared to Europe), the roll-out is a disgrace, their customer service were actually used in a training session I attended as an example of how NOT to deal with customers... but they have low down-times on a product that is supposed to be 24/7/365 access w00t! for €ircon.

Originally posted by Sleepy
    Our taxes paid for their infrastructure (entitling ALL to decent service) and if you ask me the company is hardly a proper PLC. They're a national joke.

cant you remember the goverment screwed us and sold that infrastructure . eircom dont owe us anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Originally posted by Sleepy
    Alleliujiah, Brother!

The exchange in Knocnknacarra is enabled, just most of the lines there can't handle DSL. My nextdoor neighbours have it but my line fails the test! (Clybaun Hgts btw)

Hmmm....you sure, and if so, how can I get my line tested? :P

And you're certain you're not actually on the shantalla exchange?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

SHOCK HORRER, my eircom bb went down yesturday evening :eek:

hope you rung their premium rate tech support line ;)

if your on the 24:1 8 gb download cap option
    it is not a premium number anymore

• Advertisement

ah well...that takes away some of the "umpf" from my previous post;) well done eircom i suppose

Advertisement