Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phoenix Park [In] Ashtown [Out] Cabra - Deferred

• 06-04-2004 5:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭

Suppossedly tomorrow the 7th of April a new traffic plan was to come into place for the North Road in the Phoenix Park.

The Ashtown Gate (near Half way House) was to be one-way for traffic coming into the Park.

The Cabra Gate (half way a long North Road) was to be one-way for traffic out of the Park.

This new plan has been deferred.

I guess something needs to be done about these junctions but is this 'deferred plan' better?

I use the Ashtown gate regularly for my commute and must say that it is quiet dangerous when you come out of the Gate there are no road markings there to say who has right of way or where you should move the car to inorder to proceed on towards the Half Way House roundabout. I'd say a roundabout might be a good idea here?

Also what do people think of the new ramps on this road, there are a series of four large ramps after the Cabra Gate heading Southwards. I think 1 or 2 might be necessary but isn't 4 overkill?

Why is it that these gates only allow one vehicle at a time, are they protected? The NCR gate has in/out gates which is good so why not at Ashtown it might make it a lot safer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

I think it's a good measure, if anything they need to get the traffic out of the park(except the main road that bisects the park). Instead of doing road works to open it up to more cars they want less, and they have a load of new speed ramps down the back road aswell to slow things down a bit.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

just after going through the park and the Castleknock gates are closed at the moment so there's massive tailbacks getting out the Ashtown gate. Typical. Haven't been near the park in over a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

The main problem is that they don't want the park to be used as a main transport route, so they try to make it less attractive to commuters. We all know that it is and always has been a main route into Dublin from the D.15 and Meath. So theres no clear solution to the problem. Thats one reason why they've been making it harder and harder to get in and out of the park.

So they no trying to make it easier. They are trying to make it harder.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

the surface is a disgrace too. The largest City Park in Europe, it should be something to be proud of but you spend more time dodging potholes than enjoying the scenery. Our President lives there, the American Ambassodor, one of the main social venues for the government to host their international collegues, the zoo, loads of concerts, etc etc etc and the roads are in ****. They should shut the place down for a month and just resurface the whole place, change the entrances and generally make it an easier place to get in and out of.

Originally posted by m1ke
    I think it's a good measure, if anything they need to get the traffic out of the park(except the main road that bisects the park). Instead of doing road works to open it up to more cars they want less, and they have a load of new speed ramps down the back road aswell to slow things down a bit.

Thats all well and good, except that its a main route into town for a massive area, D.15 and meath! The alternative is traffic goes down the Navan Road, Blackhorse Ave, or Chapelizod. Each route is a massive bottleneck. Which is why it can take 1.5 hours for a bus to get from D.15 to the city center at peak. Its only what 7-8 miles?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

Also what do people think of the new ramps on this road, there are a series of four large ramps after the Cabra Gate heading Southwards. I think 1 or 2 might be necessary but isn't 4 overkill

Only a moron or a Dublin City Council road traffic "engineer" would think a speed ramp is a good idea. The idiots that o.k these things do not give a toss that ramps slow **** All Vehicles **** Including life or death Ambulance emergencies never mind the Fire Brigade and the Gardai. They are a danger to cyclists,motor cyclist and pedestrians.

Good road design does not use ramps but as amply demonstrated by Fingal and DCC road traffic "engineers" they simply don't have the ability to design safe roads without slavishly folllowing U.K. engineering methods that have failed. Many U.K. boroughs are ripping out these ramps due to public pressure by Ambulance authorities and the police. The same will happen here in a few years time.

Bee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭West Briton

The Conservatives took over the London Borough of Barnet. They are now ripping out all the speed bumps in the Borough, at massive cost.

One wonders when someone will be killed as a result of this pandering to the Jeremy Clarksons of this world.

This really isn't a thread to discuss speed bumps. But theres good and bad speed bumps and other forms of speed controls. I don't have a problem with speed bumps in general, but I do have a problem with ones that are badly designed. The ones on the Blackhorse Ave are quite severe. Theres 4 routes from through D.15 from Navan/Meath area into Dublin. " 2 out of those 4 have speed bumps, because they are residential areas, 1 route is a park with entry and exit gates designed to reduce the throughput of traffic. The final route is a two lane main road that has been reduced to one lane to faciltate a bus lane.

Basically its a huge bottleneck out of D.15 into Dublin City Center.

The solution of building even more houses isn't really an effective solution. NO really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

The ramps that I mentioned in earler part of thread have been removed!!!!!

These are on the North Road, road the goes past Garda HQ up towards Cabra/Ashtown gates.

They were removed monday, I spotted Road works signs there monday morning on the way to work and by the time I was coming home ramps were gone.

Maybe they removed the ramps because of the May Day Euro Summit in Farmleigh House, Phoenix Park and will probably reinstate them next week....

Originally posted by WezzyB
    The ramps that I mentioned in earler part of thread have been removed!!!!!

These are on the North Road, road the goes past Garda HQ up towards Cabra/Ashtown gates.

They were removed monday, I spotted Road works signs there monday morning on the way to work and by the time I was coming home ramps were gone.

Maybe they removed the ramps because of the May Day Euro Summit in Farmleigh House, Phoenix Park and will probably reinstate them next week....

Theres something to get onto the local TD's about. Why put them down if they knew they were doing to remove them, then put them back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement