Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Gemmell books

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

was so devastated when i heard he had died :( started reading him when i was around 14 id say, love every single one of his books, ive tried to get into other fantasy novels but i tend to find it hard, any recommendations based on gemmell?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

was so devastated when i heard he had died :( started reading him when i was around 14 id say, love every single one of his books, ive tried to get into other fantasy novels but i tend to find it hard, any recommendations based on gemmell?
    Hmm, The Elenium series (Eddings), The lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman's bastard series by Flynn) or Gotrek & Felix (buy the first omnibus second hand for less than a fiver before going deeper to see if it's your style) would all come to mind. Over all relatively positive stories but not without things going wrong. Eddings of course being more towards happy ever after while the second two are more towards "And you'll be cursed for the rest of your life".

Nody wrote: »
    Hmm, The Elenium series (Eddings), The lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman's bastard series by Flynn) or Gotrek & Felix (buy the first omnibus second hand for less than a fiver before going deeper to see if it's your style) would all come to mind. Over all relatively positive stories but not without things going wrong. Eddings of course being more towards happy ever after while the second two are more towards "And you'll be cursed for the rest of your life".

could never really get into Eddings for some reason or another :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

could never really get into Eddings for some reason or another :(
    Well if you can specify a bit more what you like & dislike we'll be able to fine tune the recommendations further :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭Elothar

The early books from Feist I found very good. Also the Malazan series (though they can be hard to get into/get your head around them). Also liked series from J.V. Jones, Reichert, Stan Nichols and there's more names I can offer if ya want! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I would second the Fiest books. Similar in tone to Gemmell, maybe a bit less 'heroic'.

Gotrek and Felix are rollicking madcap adventures. Not in any way deep, but definitely an easy and and humourous.

Gentlemen Bastards series (3 books so far) are great. Superb in fact I would go with.

Bit more slow paced but interesting is The Name of the Wind, and its follow up, A Wise Mans Fear. More to come in that series so prob best to wait.

I really enjoyed The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercombrie (as well as his follow up books) Very gritty and visceral. Similar to Gemmel in that the 'magic' is a very low key background presence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Tenger wrote: »
    I really enjoyed The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercombrie (as well as he follow up books) Very gritty and visceral. Similar to Gemmel in that the 'magic' is a very low key background presence.

this

Well if you can specify a bit more what you like & dislike we'll be able to fine tune the recommendations further :)

i suppose i like that his books generally revolve around one big heroic figure, i like how magic and fantasy is there but isnt all that to the forefront and even when it is its fairly low key, always found his books very easy to get into, i guess i like how his stories are always fairly simple and more about human nature and the struggles people go through rather than some giant plot.

Ive read Feist's Serpentwar Saga and really liked it, might try to get into his other books again

i suppose i like that his books generally revolve around one big heroic figure, i like how magic and fantasy is there but isnt all that to the forefront and even when it is its fairly low key, always found his books very easy to get into, i guess i like how his stories are always fairly simple and more about human nature and the struggles people go through rather than some giant plot.

Ive read Feist's Serpentwar Saga and really liked it, might try to get into his other books again
    Sounds like The First Law trilogy, Gentleman's bastard and Gotrik & Felix to me (the last one while simple is really focused about the two main characters and their development over time). The name of the wind may be a fit but magic is a corner stone in there and less focus on melee battles so to speak.

i remember starting the name of the wind last year, never got around to finishing it, kvote seemed like an interesting enough character

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 onlinemonkey

Might be a little away from swords and fantasy but for a great popcorn read I would recommend the Harry Dresden books by Jim Butcher his The Codex Alera books are also great

any recommendations on sci fi books that might be similar in structure to Gemmell? would love that :)

any recommendations on sci fi books that might be similar in structure to Gemmell? would love that :)
    The lost fleet series (six books); very easy reads but enjoyable development over time. Dune series by definition (the meta plots in later books are beautiful but only read the originals), perhaps Foundation series as well (and the stand alone once as they are all about describing human behavior) and of course Altered Carbon series by R. Morgan (I'd also throw in Market Forces; it's a stand alone book but very interesting...).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 onlinemonkey

The lost fleet series (six books); very easy reads but enjoyable development over time. Dune series by definition (the meta plots in later books are beautiful but only read the originals), perhaps Foundation series as well (and the stand alone once as they are all about describing human behavior) and of course Altered Carbon series by R. Morgan (I'd also throw in Market Forces; it's a stand alone book but very interesting...).

+1 for the lost fleet, good easy reading

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Sorry for the bump of an old thread, but finally some of Mr. Gemmell's work is being released on audible format (unsure if this applies across other formats) and is due for release in June.

Advertisement