Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop saying it's contention!

• 06-04-2004 7:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

IT'S NOT!!! :mad:
    Dammit...this ordering extra capacity thing is a smoke screen. Contention in Ireland has not been an issue before, nor has it been since we we're bumped down to 24:1

Extra capacity MAY be needed for 48:1 users, but not us. The bottom line here is on March 15th a major hardware failure occured in the Esat routing and infrastructure and has not been resolved fully to date.

The fact that all our problems happened after the 15th and has been admitted by Esat staffer and senior supervisors should tell you something. Bill Murphy may be under the illusion it's contention and ordered extra capacity as a result of complaints he received, which suggested contention, when in fact network engineers at Esat admit it's an internal networking issue that has nothing at all to do with contention.

Extra capacity is more likely a side issue, something that was PLANNED to be ordered to cope with the additional new customers as a result of the new packages.

However this had already been planned, it was just made a priority when, what appeared to be, contention was being reported.

So could we all focus on the problem at hand and not allow our ISP's to fool us with "ooh it's contention" statements. This is just an easy way out for our ISP, an easy way for them not to fix the problem nor offer paying customers a service as advertised, a service all of us never had a problem with prior to March 15th.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

I got online with IOL BB on the 26th and things have been totally random...one minute it's fine, the next it's not. It was fine for the first week but since then things have been going down **** creek rapidly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Martin from UTV reported on the newsgroup that it's currently being worked on and *should* be fixed by the morning... Now lets everybody hold our breath for that one.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

So could we all focus on the problem at hand and not allow our ISP's to fool us with "ooh it's contention" statements. This is just an easy way out for our ISP, an easy way for them not to fix the problem nor offer paying customers a service as advertised, a service all of us never had a problem with prior to March 15th.

It has never made sense to me that a capacity issue could arise 'instantly' in that last Tuesday night everything was fine and then Wednesday night everything goes belly up. I would have thought that a capacity issue would happen gradually as more and more people were added. Not alone that but all of the 'extra people added' logged on on wednesday night at around the same time; all began downloading like f**k immediately and then all logged off in or around the same time and proceeded to do more or less the same every night since - just does not make any sense at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Its great, everytime i had problems, the usual excuse that was popped out was "Oh yes, we've been experiencing capacity issues with that sector recently" or "It's contention". Its mad! If they are maxing out their bandwidth already, they'd be insane to be taking on more customers.

Thankfully though, i've had no problems recently, and long may it stay that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Originally posted by dub45
    It has never made sense to me that a capacity issue could arise 'instantly' in that last Tuesday night everything was fine and then Wednesday night everything goes belly up. I would have thought that a capacity issue would happen gradually as more and more people were added. Not alone that but all of the 'extra people added' logged on on wednesday night at around the same time; all began downloading like f**k immediately and then all logged off in or around the same time and proceeded to do more or less the same every night since - just does not make any sense at all.

Actually it does sound like a capacity problem to me. Read back on the netsource threads from last june/july/august and you will see it was the exact same syptoms they had. Pings went down the toilet, downloads were bad etc., it improved evrey now and again when netsource would add more bandwith every couple of months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

And stopped taking on new residential customers too.
    Maybe thats the answer for a while. Stop taking on new customers.

Hmm, picture sales people frothing at the mouth writhing on the floor at that suggestion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭DrChoda

have to agree with the first post. I don't think it is a contention issue.
    Something b0rked, and hasn't been fixed.
    It was just 'all of a sudden, and it would be hard to believe that on one particular night, half of dublin switched over to Esat.
    I do think it is a routing problem. I mean it makes more sense to be a routing issue rather than a contention issue. (unless it has to do with something that decreased the capacity of communication on the router)
    I really don't care what the issue is, it should be fixed and fixed immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

it improved evrey now and again when netsource would add more bandwith every couple of months.

you mean netsource would tell you that

companies never tell customers the real reasons behind technical difficulities, and they leave it up to the front line staff to fob you off with anything that sounds plausible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Originally posted by l3rian
    you mean netsource would tell you that

companies never tell customers the real reasons behind technical difficulities, and they leave it up to the front line staff to fob you off with anything that sounds plausible

They kept in good technical contact with the board for the first few months - informing us on bandwidth upgrades etc.

Dammit...this ordering extra capacity thing is a smoke screen. Contention in Ireland has not been an issue before, nor has it been since we we're bumped down to 24:1

Extra capacity MAY be needed for 48:1 users, but not us. The bottom line here is on March 15th a major hardware failure occured in the Esat routing and infrastructure and has not been resolved fully to date.

Well actually there is more than one type of contention. Everyone gets contention at the local exchange. If it were contention at the exchnage persons from all providers would feel it.

But all user's of an service provider also share bandwidth after their connection reaches the service provider. Ie they share the ISP's connection to the Internet. This seems more likely if Bill was talking about contention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Unexpected

Seems like it was contention to me. Pinging boards in 27ms now. Seems like its fixed where im at.

is anyone else fixed? Im on IOl btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 zedsDeadBaby

Originally posted by carbsy
    They kept in good technical contact with the board for the first few months - informing us on bandwidth upgrades etc.

And then disapeared never to be seen when the going got tough. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

well, they were getting blasted out of it with complaints. They weren't going to accomplish anything by sticking around, other than getting an earful of already stated facts and complaints.

They might return yet...

Advertisement