Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How screwed is everyone?

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

its mostly justified tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

Originally posted by kaids
    its mostly justified tho

Why? Did it ever cross your mind that some people aren't Science or Engineering etc minded and Arts subjects suit them better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jonhate

I was screwed for xmas exams as well but all nighters did the trick. It always seems worse leading up the exams but during your exams it aint so bad. Saying that I only got a pass ;).

I'm just glad I'm on work placement. It ****in rocks!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

It's probably not a fair attitude, but you better get used to it Serraphina, cos it's a universal one. I'm friends with a few arts students who actually seem to have quite tough courses (gasp!)

Oh and in answer to the original question, I'm doing 3rd year electronic engineering in UCD, and traditionally 3rd year has at least a 60% failure rate. I am most definitely not in the top 40% of the class, so statistically I should fail - trying not to though.
    I am the most screwed of all!!!!!!!!:D :D:D

P.s. good luck in the exams redshift, 2nd year was fairly tough too. Just go over the examples from applied dynamics guy's lecture notes, cos he always puts a few of them into the exam!:ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

For all the people who think doing Economics, English, Music all at the same time is a walk in the park then you are passing yourselves off as ignorant.

For Maynooth anyway, how many points is science again????:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

funny i thought the number of points for a course reflected the number of places available in it not the degree of difficulty associated with the course.......

with regards to the people getting pissed off with the slagging of general arts degrees, relax i jest for the most part, i slag off all arts students in fact i slag off all students who don't do science then i slag off all students that don't study in my college then people slag me back its all good

data

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The only arts students i know (that's about 7) are mostly confined to the outside of the building since the Ban came in! Although, if we didn't have arts to laugh at then what would we do?

Blondie83, was physics as much of a pain in the ass last year? I actually think it'll be a case of how badly i fail! :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by ClareBear
    Why? Did it ever cross your mind that some people aren't Science or Engineering etc minded and Arts subjects suit them better?
    in my 3 years of doing arts, no, that never crossed my mind

Originally posted by Red Alert

Blondie83, was physics as much of a pain in the ass last year? I actually think it'll be a case of how badly i fail! :D

Oh God yes!!! I was so proud of my 43% in that subject - it was the miracle of miracles! Seriously though, just learn the second half of the course really well, because that actually makes sense, and don't bother looking at the first half - all that quantum stuff is impossible. Spare a thought for the poor mechs though, they don't even do the second half!!!:D :D:D

Good luck:p

i spent last weekend trying to make sense of the 1st half - it gets worse the harder you try! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭begbie

Pretty damn screwed. But i'm not bothered for some reason.:dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

exams start next monday.....starting to feel the fear now,,,,better late than never i suppose!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Im just accepting the fact im fux0red for the exams and i'll be back in august. Probably fail then too, maths physics is the bitch from hell! meh, 2nd year: so good i'll be doing it twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

I'm not as screwed as I thought I was a few weeks ago though it's still not ideal! I have a final year project to hand up before I start to really study for the exams which are only a fortnight away. :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Originally posted by Bungalow Bill
    I'm doin Economics/music/english 1st year in Maynooth and it's bloody harder than people say. Of course it may help if I went to lectures but I'm so far behind I don't know if it's even worth it!

am... well i have been through first year music in maynooth and survived. do you need any help in anything in particular?

this is the plan: if i help you, then i am distracting myself from how screwed i am at the mo. :D

yeah defo feeling kinda screwed now, exams starting on wednesday i need to put the foot down and stop faffing about other things on my mind though that i need to put aside

data

some might say the worst time to get a new 'other half' is around the exams. /me is not so sure, i find i'm actually doing a hell of a lot more work while i'm in college now than the same time last year. still really worried about physics, i think i can *just* about pass applied dynamics, new subject-of-hate is solid state electronics.

Originally posted by Red Alert
    some might say the worst time to get a new 'other half' is around the exams. /me is not so sure, i find i'm actually doing a hell of a lot more work while i'm in college now than the same time last year. still really worried about physics, i think i can *just* about pass applied dynamics, new subject-of-hate is solid state electronics.

Ah funny that, my latest subject of hate is Solid state electronics 2! I've figured out there's no point even trying to study it so I'm just sitting here in eng326 flicking around websites and helping my friend with her crossword. It's the pigsback.ie one so its really annoying cos they make up loads of words, but we've clearly nothing better to do! Just as a matter of interest, I was in the library at 9:30 this morning trying to get a seat, and the whole place was full. How early do people go into that place? I figured I might actually get some work done there cos its so hard to get a computer - ah well, just another day of sitting in the canteen/computer room dossing away!:D

yeah i popped into the library one day to get some books and it was fairly busy even from early. god i'd hate to have to study in that library its a horrible minging hole of place. thankfully we have a physics library (or i could use the chemistry one) which is comfortable and i set up camp in there as i get nothing done at home these days as i'll just turn on the computer

Good Lord I'm so screwed....it's actually funny at this stage! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

well i've kinda decided to defer i think, haven't given these my best effort due to other stuff and just haven't got it in my to study and cram can't bring myself to do it, so i'll probably just sit them next may and take most of the year off like i planned

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    well i've kinda decided to defer i think, haven't given these my best effort due to other stuff and just haven't got it in my to study and cram can't bring myself to do it, so i'll probably just sit them next may and take most of the year off like i planned

Sorry to hear that Data, but if you think it's for the best then good luck with it.

Originally posted by ClareBear
    Sorry to hear that Data, but if you think it's for the best then good luck with it.

thank you, not sure if its for the best and i may regret it but at the moment it seems to be the way forward for me

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    thank you, not sure if its for the best and i may regret it but at the moment it seems to be the way forward for me

Can you not just do the exams anyway? Or is failing them and repeating not an option? Maybe you should give it a go anyway? None of us feel up to exams the closer they get, it might just be nerves?

nah afaik failing and repeating them is not an option in fourth year and i believe this to be somewhat more then just the typical pre exam nerves

Well best of luck Data. Don't stress too much....it's only a year. And if you think it's the right decision then go for it.

Had my first exam yesterday and fairly sure I've failed it - I might get 30% though, so hopefully I can compensate. One down, eleven to go! Sure things can only get better.;)

twelve exams that is harsh indeed good luck

clarebear i'm giving the study as lash today and i might go sit them tomorrow we'll see how it goes.

Very best of luck!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

Had my first all nighter there last night studying damn Macro economics..(awful stuff)

Red Bull was a staple diet last night/morning whatever!!! Woke up there turned on telly and wondered what the hell the late late show was doing on saturday morning.

Totally disorientated.....still am

Anyway the point of this post is dont you just hate it when a lecturer gives you a sample paper and tells you "nothing on it is coming up its just for reference" and then found out last night @11 pm that most of it is coming up!!!

This was due to someone meeting the lecturer by chance in the canteen and pleading with him!!! Up to that point i.e. 11 pm last night i had studied everything except what was on the paper (didnt know it though) so had to completly start from scratch again...

Anyway thats my little rant over, tucking into a nice can of heineken now!!!

Advertisement