Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48:1 V 24:1

• 06-04-2004 11:05pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Simple question is it worth paying the extra for the lower contention?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

It would be if this crap got sorted out with Esat. Contention will be an issue down the road...just not now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Is there anyway to tell how contended you are? Presumably 24 and 48 are just maxes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i have noticed no difference since my change in contention from 48 to 24 on eircoms package i used to download at 50-55k i still do

data

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Originally posted by secret_squirrel
    Is there anyway to tell how contended you are? Presumably 24 and 48 are just maxes?

That's something else I have wondered about too how can a subscriber get proof that they are actually on a 24:1? Not that I would doubt an ISP for a moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Subc

I'm with UTV and im on the 45 euro package i find the pings to be a lot lower now, not at the moment cause i have 220 ping and it's really starting to **** me off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

I downgraded when Eircom introduced the new packages. Still on 48:1 with no loss in service. Downloading in the 50's. Hard to know if there are any new customers for me to contend with. If it's a problem in the future then I'll upgrade in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

From the newsgroup..
    The latest info we have is that the necessary work is being carried out tonight and tomorrow and that should be the issue completely sorted. I really want
    to post a fuller explanation, but I've been asked not to due to certain NDA's in place.

Martin.

-- Martin Lyons CTO UTV Internet

Seems a lot faster at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

if you constantly get download speeds in the region of about 6kb/sec, then yes, get the lower contention product.

Otherwise spend your hardearned cash on food.... for me!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by dub45
    Simple question is it worth paying the extra for the lower contention?

No, it is not worth paying extra for. At the moment there simply isn't enough people on DSL to even come near to saturating 48:1.

If it does become an issue in the future, then you can just upgrade for free. Why waste money in the meantime.

The only reason you might go for more expensive products is becuase of bigger caps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

on iol, you own the modem at the end of the term if your on the 24:1 if that makes any difference to some people. Where as on 48:1 your just renting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

If it does become an issue in the future, then you can just upgrade for free. Why waste money in the meantime.
    There is a €30 charge to downgrade after April 12th. How are you so sure it's free to upgrade?

I'm thinking of sticking with BB Plus. At least I don't have to worry about exceeding my cap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

€30 to downgrade, not to upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

They'd never put obstacles in your way if you want to give them more money.

But of couse they'd put in obstacles if you wanted to give em less. :p

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by cregser
    There is a €30 charge to downgrade after April 12th. How are you so sure it's free to upgrade?

I'm thinking of sticking with BB Plus. At least I don't have to worry about exceeding my cap.

Eircom wholesale charge the ISP nothing to upgrade, but €15 (Excl VAT) to upgrade. It is in their wholesale docs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Originally posted by bk
    Eircom wholesale charge the ISP nothing to upgrade, but €15 (Excl VAT) to upgrade. It is in their wholesale docs.
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean here? Unless you meant to say €15 to downgrade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭dogz

Originally posted by bk
    No, it is not worth paying extra for. At the moment there simply isn't enough people on DSL to even come near to saturating 48:1.

I would have agreed on monday but since last night I can see a difference on iolbb plus, speeds are up about 4-8 kb/s for me anyway. Thats compared to when i first got bb in january, not when this iol speed crap was going on

Advertisement