Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking advice. First steps.

Options
  • 06-04-2004 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

Thinking about overclocking soon.
    Any ideas where to start or any websites for information?
    Especially interested in gaming performance.
    Room for a case fan or two in my current setup if needed.

System:

3.0ghz Intel P4 800mhz FSB
    Abit IC7-MaX3 Motherboard
    1024mb Twinmos Twister RAM 3200 1.5-2.0cl
    Terratec FX 5800 non-ultra
    Lanboy case with its built-in power supply.

Anything at all would be a good start for me. Just the options available and how to go about doing it really. I am quite an advanced computer user, but not an engineer if you know what I mean.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

I got this website from Dataisgod and I think it explains the procedures of overclocking very well. Have a read there. Then post if you have any further questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Neokenzo, what's the AMD64 proc like performance wise?

Are you using Windows XP AMD64 edition on it?

Originally posted by ColmOT [MSFT]
    Neokenzo, what's the AMD64 proc like performance wise?

Are you using Windows XP AMD64 edition on it?

I've only had this machine about a month now and I'm really happy with it. Its fast on games and video coding/rendering. Thats pretty much what I've used it do far. Tried encoding to DVD once but it was taking ages so I stopped it. DVD encoding does take ages anyway.

I'm not using XP 64bit yet cause I was reading in some other forums ppl are having problems with it as there are no ATI drivers to support it. If I'm not mistaken, ATI will only release the drivers with a full working XP 64. Hence I dont want to take the plunge yet. As soon as there's an ATI driver for XP 64 I might just try it out. Funny thing is, some games performs poorer on the 64 bit based on Anandtech's review of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

what where you using to encode dvd's neo? its been a long time since i tried this, i used to do it semi regularly on my old p3 and was half decent at it back then, recently tried it with new programs though and was getting crap results. was quite fast though.

data

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Off Topic but does anyone know a Virtual PC program that will let me run a 64 bit OS inside it.
    I have VMWare Workstation at the moment and it won't . I don't want to mess around with my system at the moment software wise and I wanted to check out the preview of WinXP 64-bit Extended Edition on it?

BTW, it takes me around 2 hours to re-encode an avi to DVD and burn it using the newest Nero. My sys is almost identical to neokenzo's.

<edit> Didn't realise I had so many typo's</edit>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What version of VMWare Workstation do you have wizzard?

Haven't used VMWare for a bit myself, but tried W2003 Server when it came out (actually a month before the launch in Ireland) and it worked grand

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    what where you using to encode dvd's neo? its been a long time since i tried this, i used to do it semi regularly on my old p3 and was half decent at it back then, recently tried it with new programs though and was getting crap results. was quite fast though.

data

I am using Nero. It takes about 1.5-2 hours and thats long enough for me :) The problem is of course I cant used th pc when encoding. Will give it another go another time
    Originally posted by WizZard
    Off Topic but does anyone know a Virtual PC program that will elt me run a 64 bit OS inside it.
    I have VMWar Wrokstation at the moment and it won't . Idon't want to mess around with my system at the moment software wise so I wanted to check out the preview of WinXP 64-bit Extended Edition on it?

Try PlanetAMD64. They seem to have all the drivers for XP 64bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by neokenzo
    I am using Nero. It takes about 1.5-2 hours and thats long enough for me :) The problem is of course I cant used th pc when encoding. Will give it another go another time

Ok i think we're on the wrong wavelength here my fault though, i'm thinking of going from dvd to avi, using stuff like xmpeg and flaskmpeg, can nero do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Data - no its the other way around we're talking about I think. Nero can't decode DVD's. It may copy them though -DVD to DVD

Unkel:
    Using VMWare Workstation 4.0.5

Advertisement