Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you think Chelsea will now go on to win the CL?

• 06-04-2004 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

After their great result against Arsenal tonight, and given their favourable draw for the semis, do you think Chelsea will win the Champions League this season?

Personally, while AC are probably most people's favourites at this stage, I feel Chelsea can go on to lift the trophy at the end of the season. Their away record is formidable (only 1 goal conceded, and that was tonight!) and they really showed a character and determination, which Arsenal were sorely lacking tonight, that might just take them to glory. Terry was a rock tonight and Gudjohnsen and Hasselbaink worked so hard up front. As did all the players.

Congrats to Chelski, and commiserations to Arsenal who have played outstanding all season, and who I could not possibly have begrudged a 'double' or 'treble' this season if it had happened for them

Claudio Ranieri, you legend!! :D

Will Chelsea win the CL this season? 45 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    40% 18 votes
    I'm not interested in football, I'm a Liverpool fan
    60% 27 votes

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

No. Milan are the complete team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

this champions league is turning out like the 2002 World cUp - all the big teams you'd expect to be there in the semis, or there about, have been knocked out!

i hope chelsea kick arse - for ranieiris sake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭JippoKelly

Milan are a great side, but they're by no means perfect. Sure, if Modena can draw with them then I think that offer teams like Chelsea some hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭niallith

as big of a chelsea fan that i am i cant c them beating milan if both are to get to the final
    i think chelsea wil beat monaco but lose in final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 SanFranMan

Hard to see anyone stopping Milan (and that would have included ManU, Arsenal, and Madrid), but its possible, surprises happen.
    Monaco are well capable of beating Chelsea too though.

Whatever happens, I hope the trophy goes to a club who havent won it before. The United-Arsenal /Celtic-Rangers /Madrid-Milan monopolies really have worn thin.
    Chelsea for the PL, Lyon for the CL, and Millwall for the Cup (I can dream....)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

they have to get past monaco first and they didnt beat real over 2 legs by fluke!!

AC MILAN to win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 doozerjack

I think they'll have a whole lot of support, me included, but I can't see it happening.
    But I'd be happy to be wrong.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

i like chelsea but cant see them beating milan they are too strong. I said from the off that milan would win it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Against Milan put Crespo and Mutu up front......should be well use to dealing with Italian defenders after all there seasons in Seria A.......but just cant see them beatin Milan.....they where class against Deportiva in the first leg....maybe the second leg will show us are they truly class!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭bdiddy

think they can, hope they do..... Monaco will pose a challenge but Chlesea shud be well able to handle thier attack and it wud b very surprisin if they didnt score 1 or two on the Monaco defence.....If they manage that then its down to 90 minutes of football and Chlesea have a wealth of top quality players who love big occasions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JohnnyBravo

Everyone said arsenal were the complete team up until two days ago milan are far from infallable and this is a game of football anyone remember dortmund beating juventus and no one gave them a chance the only thing that could undo chelsea is arrogance like arsenal

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭lad12

Here is the betting prices at Ladbrooks for team to win Champions League

Milan 11/10
    Chelsea 2/1
    Monaco 9/2
    Porto 7/1
    Lyon 40/1
    Deportivo La Coruna 40/1

it has to be a Chelsea Milan final....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Wrong ! come on Depor :p . (well maybe , but not this year )

Yeah id like Depor to beat milan 2nite...and den Porto to knock out Depor...Chelski still have a chance of doing the double

"Everyone said arsenal were the complete team up until two days ago"???
    Not around here, I think some of us have been at pains to point out the hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

In fairness to Ranieri, he did a spectacular job last night (I didn't see the match, because the girlies wanted to channel hop between inane soap operas and, a general girly muck on the TV).

Milan do look the stronger team, but I would dearly love to see Chelsea lift the trophy now. Ranieri does not deserve all the crap he's got this year and the Chelsea management have not stood fullsquare behind him- they've practically encouraged speculation as to when he would lose his job. Before last night, I did think that Arsenal could do it, but now I would love to see Ranieri defy the skeptics and win the Champions League for Chelsea.

It is a tough ask though- beat a team that put Real Madrid out? And then beat Milan?

If he can do that- and if they replace him as manager- I believe that a lot of the Chelsea fans will be up in arms. If he can win the CL this year, he deserves a good 2 year opportunity to take the domestic league.

Good Luck Ranieri. I hope you do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

im kinda gald that real madrid ot found out at last!

on this board they were the favourites to win it

I'm disappointed that they went out because it would have been good to see them play chelski...the cream of spains la liga against chelski...but who ever made the cock up of letting morientes play last nite deserves to be Sacked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Nah, they won't win it. Last night was a great performance because it was personal, they just couldn't afford to lose to Arsenal yet again. They played at 110%. Also helped by the fact that Arsenal ran out of ideas in the 2nd half. They won't have that determination against Monaco or indeed Milan if they both make it to the final.

Even if they do, Milan will have that little bit more. Sure if Viera alone can keep Lampard and Makalele quiet for most of the night, Chelsea's central midfield just won't be able to compete with Pirlo/Gattuso/Seedorf.

So yea, anyway... no :)

Oh and yea, Milan drew with Modena, but with basically their 2nd string team out... including Laursen. And Inzaghi had about 5 great chances, but can't hit a barn door at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I'd love to see it, but I just can't see Chelsea beating AC ... I hope I'm proved wrong because I'd love Chelsea to win it, if only to enable Ranieri to give the fingers to Ambramovich [sp?] & Kenyon.

• Advertisement

Yeah chelski win the champions league or premiership...then in the summer ranieri tells Ambramovich & Kenyon to stick their job where the sun dont shine...then Leeds approach ranieri..and he brings Leeds back from the dead..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Originally posted by lad12
    Yeah chelski win the champions league or premiership...then in the summer ranieri tells Ambramovich & Kenyon to stick their job where the sun dont shine...then Leeds approach ranieri..and he brings Leeds back from the dead..
    ...... and then liverpool win the treble, houllier has talks, tells the board to stick that job up the jacksie, and he takes over wimboldon and brings them back to the premiership....

sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I would have them as favourites in the next game but they still have quite a bit to do. Hope he sticks with last nights team and does not go fecking about too much with it as it will surely add some impetus to there push for the CL if they had the players feeling confident after a bit of a spell starting games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭JippoKelly

Well, I don't think AC are gonna win the CL now! :D

What a performance by Deportivo!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Much tougher to call now!

Deportivo are an incredibly inconsistent team, which can't be said for Chelsea. This is going to be exciting to watch :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well with Milan out tonight I think they have a very good chance at winning it. Fair play to them beating Arsenal last night they deserved the victory. I really hope for Raniari's point of view that he wins it and then buggers off on that Russian.

Apparently Spurs and Liverpool are being bandied about as teams interested in Raniari. God I hope goes to Liverpool the thought of Spurs getting a good manager is not a good one !!!!

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Chelsea have a great chance – but is it their turn to bottle it,
    perhaps in the final against Deportivo?

It could be said that the better teams have all been knocked out,
    Real, AC and Arsenal. But it makes it a really open competition now.
    Deportivo are more likely to make mistakes than Chelsea. Monaco
    did beat them 8-3 earlier in the competition, although that
    is nothing to go by. No one is talking about Porto.

Chelsea definitely have a chance.

ps: as a Liverpool supporter I refuse to take part in the poll :-)

Might be worth starting this poll over again seeing as Milan are out, I think a lot of people (me included) couldnt see anyone beating Milan, and voted no for Chelsea. Nothing will surprise me now out of that last 4.
    This is becoming the most entertaining CL in years.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Originally posted by neilbrady79
    Against Milan put Crespo and Mutu up front......should be well use to dealing with Italian defenders after all there seasons in Seria A.......but just cant see them beatin Milan.....they where class against Deportiva in the first leg....maybe the second leg will show us are they truly class!!

Hahahahaha!! well as I said above the second leg will show if Milan and truely class and I think Depo showed they r not......Chelsea have a great chance now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Originally posted by me :D
    but I just can't see Chelsea beating AC

I stand by my statement :D

Chelsea will never have a better chance than this year ... if they play the way they played the second half against Arsenal, I can't see any of the teams left being able to cope with them ... plus the AC defence had a howler last night, but I rate the Chelsea defence as being better, but hey what do I know, I backed AC :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

nah don't think so. I wasn't blown away by their performance against arsenal. thought arsenal looked better for most of the game. Don't think they're strong enough atm to do it.

Like to see tham do it though

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭eirmail

Chelsea Can definitely win the champions league and they might also win the premiership yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Duff and Gallas are out of the first leg with a 'fever' it seems.

http://www.football365.com/news/story_107210.shtml

Advertisement