Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem definition

Options
  • 06-04-2004 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I've got a small problem defining what I'm looking for...

...for a week for so something has been annoyingly trying to make a dial-up connection in Windows ME. I've looked around for things to disable - like auto-update mechanisms in Windows, virus scanner, etc to no avail.

I'll run AdAware, again, in case that helps too.

Anyway, I reckon I need a log file for the internet connection to point me in the direction of what's trying to connect. The modem driver provides a log file for connection times/speeds/etc but not the traffic. Ditto for the output from the LogTime utility which is tracking the internet costs.

The question is: what exactly is the definition of what I should look for - traffic logger? packet analyzer? some kind of sniffer? I've looked around the freeware sites but, with file sizes varying all over the place [50KB to 10MB], I'd rather clarify what to look for.

Any recommendations would be appreciated :)

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

A sniffer (Ethereal is a pretty good one) will capture all traffic to/from your computer. It won't tell you what programme is generating the traffic though, you'd have to try work that out from the traffic. Don't know anything specifically for monitoring which programmes are using your connection, but a firewall (I use ZoneAlarm myself) might do the trick just as well. Every programme must request permission before it can access the internet, so you can find out what is trying to connect and also block it from doing so again.

Also worth while getting Spybot-S&D. It catchs some of the things Adware misses and visa versa.

Advertisement