Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

comercial insurance

Options
  • 07-04-2004 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

I hope someone can help,
    I'm thinking of changing my car and getting a pickup, as it has a 5.7 lt v8 engine I'll need to get comercial insurance.(or win the lotto)
    1/ Does anyone know what conditions need to be fulfilled for this ?
    2/ Can anyone do this?
    Thanks in advance
    joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Hi Joe, sounds like a monster of a truck! Good luck with it.

Well, i got commercial insurance for the 1st time last year. There didn't seem to be any particular difficulty for me, but I am genuinely using the vehicle for commercial purposes. I think you have just have to convince the insurance company that you have commercial interests and they will be ok with you. When I was filling out the form with the insurance company, a lot of job description details were brushed over, giving me the impression it wasn't that important to be using the vehicle for work. On the form it was looking for my company registration and VAT numbers, but I didn't have them on me at the time, and nobody has come looking for them since.

It was more difficult to get the commercial tax. After a good bit of running around, I finally arrived in the tax office with the following documents that they needed:

1) Vehicle registration cert (this is normal for cars too)
    2) Proof of insurance
    3) A DOE cert (my vehicle is 1998)
    4) A weight certificate. The fact that the weight was printed on the registration cert was not enough, so I had to find a weighbridge and weigh it.
    5) A form signed and stamped by the Garda stating that you are using the vehicle for the purpose of transferring goods.

I found out each of these things were needed on 5 seperate visits to the tax office!

Hope some of that helps,

Robbie

Advertisement