Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does God exist (My Views)

Options
  • 07-04-2004 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have been thinking, God, whatever name plp like to call, lets be honest here its a load of bull, the human being started off as an animal like the others and evolved to what we are today so why the need to believe in a higher power, "Jesus" Religion all bull, the bible storys written by third parties, Catholic, Vatagon, lies, deception, secrets, why oh why if this so called religion thats been tought to us all over the years.... who has a man not capable of looking after himself & suffering as the leader, all the rules set by humans not by a higher power, by plp like you & me. which hides all the truth about the religion all the documents never seen by followers of religion, Think about it.

Do you think when you die you go to heaven, well what about plp of other religions do they go, what about plp in places that are so remote they don't even know what religion is, do they go.

Plp who die which is everyone, the brain stops and thats it, scary but the sooner everyone faces this the better and stop all the hate'rd caused by religion, the pope saying being Gay is wrong who says, the pope. The religion no plp like you & me, no different, with opionions, God didn't shine down a light with more commandments. The commandments said nothing about the religions views. I know some plp may think this is crazy but what if you where never told about religion your whole life what if you where led to believe that when you die, you die, but on your death bed someone tells you, "NO" you dont just die, you go to heaven (whatever plp's ideas are of heaven). Do you think that person would believe you (NO).

I wonder alot about just being here on this planet, its so ****ing crazy where all here on this little world in the middle of nowhere, how big is this void of space we are living in. living out are tiny short lifes. There is garenteed to be other life out there do they go to heave aswell lol,

OK you see I find it very hard to talk to plp about this, well no I dont but other plp do, everyone seems to be so involved in it they dont see the Hugh, Hugh picture. Just think about it for a minute.

Thanks for reading *I am not Gay & *I do believe / Hope there is a god, even tho it may seem like I dont.

Thanks joePC

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I can't quite follow what your point is there ...

Anyway, the ISS specifically doesn't address religious beliefs unless they make tangible claims about the world according to http://www.irishskeptics.net/about.html

Despite this, a similar thread has already been debated to death on this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭rde

The biggest argument against god, to my mind, is the fact that there's more than one religion. However, the whole idea of religion is outside the realm of science. Whether this makes it outside the realm of scepticism is another thing; there are arguments for and against.

Take any religion that has a defining book and it's easy to pick holes in it, especially if, like the bible, it's an agglomeration of writings spread over hundreds of years; it's bound to contradict itself. Therefore I'm quite happy dismissing fundamentalists as cranks, and creationists as The Enemy. But for most people religion isn't that black and white.

It's been said that if you line up a truly believing, practising Jew, a Catholic and a Moslem and try to identify which is which by their behaviour, you couldn't; all preach tolerance, peace and the helping of our fellow man. Noble goals, all. Churches, however, are a different matter. You mention the Pope's stance on homosexuality. This, of course, contravenes directly the teachings of Jesus, who was the ultimate hippy. It'll be easy to identify his grave once it's found; he'll be the one spinning at 10,000rpm.

Religion used to be how we made sense of the world; now it survives mostly through inertia. I'd like to say it'll be gone in 100 years, but people have probably been saying that since the time of Plato. Or the time of Ug the Caveman, but probably not as eloquently.

Finally, I really hope that I'm right, and that there isn't a god. If there is, I'm f ucked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭williamgrogan

However, the whole idea of religion is outside the realm of science
    Why do you think this?
    Finally, I really hope that I'm right, and that there isn't a god. If there is, I'm f ucked
    I don't agree. If there is a god then he's obviously hiding and he can't blame you for not finding him.
    ....been debated to death

.....well it hasn't in several thousand years.

I do think Joe Public? should read the thread in this forum (if he has a week) on "Are skepticism and Belief in God mutually exclusive?" If you can't find it revert back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

Yes, read the other thread. And starting this one by saying religion, Jesus, God, etc. is a load of bull is asking for trouble.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement