Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed this morning.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by dub45
    UTV are delivering some excellent pings tonight - maybe the beginning of a new era!

how good? can you ping boards.ie and post your results?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Pinging clarity.jolt.co.uk [195.149.21.11] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=49ms TTL=55
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=55
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=45ms TTL=55
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=55
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=46ms TTL=55
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=47ms TTL=55
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=46ms TTL=55
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=47ms TTL=55
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=52ms TTL=55

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Average of 17ms to eircom.ie and 20ms to boards.ie today. Not bad at all - I only got broadband on Tuesday, quite satisfied with Eircom right now :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Getting 400kbps on UTVs speedtest

C:\>ping www.boards.ie

Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.131.128] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=67ms TTL=54
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=63ms TTL=54
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=69ms TTL=54
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=73ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 82.195.131.128:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 63ms, Maximum = 73ms, Average = 68ms

Has anyone had problems with download speeds? Im on clicksilver and im getting between 12 and 15 kbps. Might just be the servers im getting the downloads from but I cant be sure. Getting sub 56k speeds from www.the-underdogs.org ( I want my panzer general 3 dammit :( )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

jonski: ok, i am a lazy f'er, where are the utv news group?

but the weird thing is (or maybe not) i can still dl with bittorrnet at a fairly steady 50-60kb/s

finaly got the utv test page to load and it said 407kbit the first time and 397 the second and pings are now down to around 70ms

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Originally posted by Wanton
    jonski: ok, i am a lazy f'er, where are the utv news group?

but the weird thing is (or maybe not) i can still dl with bittorrnet at a fairly steady 50-60kb/s

finaly got the utv test page to load and it said 407kbit the first time and 397 the second and pings are now down to around 70ms

Set up news.utvinternet.com in your newsreader and you can access it from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

news reader? u talking outlook? or what?

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Originally posted by Squall
    Has anyone had problems with download speeds? Im on clicksilver and im getting between 12 and 15 kbps. Might just be the servers im getting the downloads from but I cant be sure. Getting sub 56k speeds from www.the-underdogs.org ( I want my panzer general 3 dammit :( )

I'm on a 1meg line and I only ever get 10-15KB/s of that site.

Strange realy i used to get 40 odd but now best i can get is 4 :( Oh well

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Wanton
    news reader? u talking outlook? or what?

cheers

Outlook express there are various others but most people have outlook express.

Outlook uses outlook express as its newsreader.

By the way you really miss out on a lot of stuff if you dont use the newsgroups.

UTV don't supply a proper list of newsgroups but you can get around this very easily by visiting http://news.individual.net/ and signing up - its free. There is a newsgroup for virtually every subject under the sun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

While i feel the UTV pings are somewhat back to normal , they are still higher that the other isp's , and a few times ( 4 or 5 ) I was disconnected from the servers I was on .

John.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Originally posted by jonski
    While i feel the UTV pings are somewhat back to normal , they are still higher that the other isp's , and a few times ( 4 or 5 ) I was disconnected from the servers I was on .

John.

Same here Jonski. Does anyone know why utv's pings are on average 20-30ms more than even IOL? There has to be some reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I don't know how to test my speed on a Mac, but since I used Azureus it seems to have dropped back to a state reminiscent of the good old 14kbps days, on a wireless broadband connection.

Eircom mail is particularly snail-like, with connections cutting out the whole time - but a couple of even more non-techie people told me they were having huge problems with Eircom mail and connections hanging and cutting out last week. Anyone know the cause?

I don't want to phone the helpline - last call cost me a tenner, and I finally solved the problem myself without the help of the Eircom staff. (I know they're often very good - I just wasn't lucky that time.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by kin9pin
    Same here Jonski. Does anyone know why utv's pings are on average 20-30ms more than even IOL? There has to be some reason?
    They go to the UK and back is that not one of the main reasons?.

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    They go to the UK and back is that not one of the main reasons?.

Sorry if I seem a bit thick, but are you saying that if I ping say www.boards.ie then I'm pinging to UK to boards back to UK then back to me??

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Outlook express there are various others but most people have outlook express.
    Unfortunately. Try something like FreeAgent, or at the very least use Outlook QuoteFix.
    UTV don't supply a proper list of newsgroups but you can get around this very easily by visiting http://news.individual.net/ and signing up - its free. There is a newsgroup for virtually every subject under the sun!
    Anyone signing up for newsgroups for the first time should be familiar with the etiquette of using them properly - this is a good place to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I'm using Thunderbird. Very nice.

www.mozilla.org

Originally posted by oscarBravo
    [Anyone signing up for newsgroups for the first time should be familiar with the etiquette of using them properly - this is a good place to start.

And dont forget to brush your teeth and eat your 5 portions of fruit and veg per day!!! And I thought Net Nanny was just a programme!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Things seem to have dramatically improved on UTV this morning. Downloaded a file at a near-constant 52KB/sec before I went to work this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

And dont forget to brush your teeth and eat your 5 portions of fruit and veg per day!!!
    Sound advice - although whether or not you do this affects me not at all.
    And I thought Net Nanny was just a programme!!!
    Do you go off on a rant every time someone offers suggestions on how to behave yourself correctly in an unfamiliar environment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭geecee

My UTV died around 10 last night...

I was unable to reconnect till 11 and when i finally did manage to reconnect I wes receiving at sub 56k modem speeds....

Totals downloaded in 3 hours last night: 56 MB

Anyone else still having problems with clicksilver? I think I'm on the Beggars Bush exchange, D4...

At this stage I'm coming very close to cancelling my contract due to lack of ability on UTVs part to fulfull their side of it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

It died on me around 10 last night too, but it was only down for about 5-10 minutes.

I just had this answer from Charles McRobert from UTV Support:
    "One of the third party suppliers have finished several engineering works over the past 2 weeks that should have resolved the symtoms that you have described. Can you retest your connection now?"

I'm at work so can't test it, can anyone with utv post a speedtest and ping?
    I'm amazed that I received an answer, but of course I didn't get an answer to this question in my mail:
    >4. In view of the constant downtime, speed problems and lost connections,
    >will utv agree to compensate clicksiver customers by only charging the
    >flat-rate dialup fee of 24.99 until these problems are sorted??

hehe, it was worth a go I suppose :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Just logged on to my home network, and I'm getting downloads of 50KB/s plus. I'll try a ping as soon as the download finishes.

<A few minutes later>

OK here's some ping data - can't cut-and-paste, as it's on a different box:

www.boards.ie - 3 x 10 pings, min/avg/max:
    61.4/63.2/69.3
    61.5/66.5/92.4
    70.7/76.0/102.5

www.jolt.co.uk - 3 x 10 pings, min/avg/max:
    48.9/54.5/89.7
    48.8/51.5/62.3
    47.0/50.2/58.2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

UTV Speed Test
    948592 bytes transferred in 42.063 secs

176 kbit

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\>ping www.boards.ie

Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.131.128] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=410ms TTL=54
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=355ms TTL=54
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=294ms TTL=54
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=546ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 82.195.131.128:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 294ms, Maximum = 546ms, Average = 401ms

don't worry it aint fixed other people on utv are saying the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by kin9pin
    Sorry if I seem a bit thick, but are you saying that if I ping say www.boards.ie then I'm pinging to UK to boards back to UK then back to me??
    I'm not sure but I think UTV ppl are routed through London do a tracert to boards.ie and check it out.

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    I'm not sure but I think UTV ppl are routed through London do a tracert to boards.ie and check it out.

:confused: Now I am a bit thick, how do I do a tracert?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭dogz

IOLBB is back i think, downloading at 65kb/s now and was downloading at 11 last night at over 40kb/s!:) How about everyone else on iolbb plus what speeds u gettin today/last night. Pings are ok to good for me too but I dont really care because I dont play games online.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Colin300: I passed on your speedtest/ping to utv support and got this back:

"We have been reassured by Esat and Eircom that the speed issues has been resolved and our internal testing shows a major improvement.

It does concern me that not everyone is seeing the same, can you ask the customer who's details you list to email support@u.tv (and CC it to me at charles@u.tv) with details of their account, tracerts and copy of their ipconfig /all

Thanks again.

Charles McRobert
    Technical Support Supervisor
    UTV Internet"

Seems they're under the impression that it's all fixed now.

Advertisement