Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double Penalty Points at Xmas's

• 07-04-2004 10:40am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was away over Xmass and this is one of the things they do,I think it would be a good idea here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

That is ridiculous
    Why over Christmas????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

It's common in other countries to double up penalty points during holiday periods ...xmas, easter, long weekends. Gives people another reason to slow down and drive carefully.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Why Christmas...look at the numbers people are more likley to Drink and drive over Christmas and on long weekends.I think it would be a very good idea,if you dont drink and drive and you drive safely you will not mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Genghis

It's a good idea, and imho would be more effective (and less costly) than the current campaigns which run around theses periods hoping to achieve the same end.

I wonder if the legislation as it currently exists could facilitate this? I would imagine something like this would have to be specifically catered for, I doubt the minister could simply decide to change penalty points "at will". Also, what would happen if you disputed one of these bank holiday offences - if you lose are you still done for four points (and if so, why would anyone Not appeal - how would the courts handle that?), or would it be 6, or would it be 8? If that is the case, then you have to re-evaluate the points system - you could lose your licence for speeding twice, which then seems harsher than the offences.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I am sure there would be many snags to sort out but as you said it would do a lot to slow people down.I agree it would take some time as a amendment would be needed but if it saves peoples lives well its well worth a go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement