Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless DSL - can piggyback over someone elses connection?

• 07-04-2004 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

Firstly, apologies if this has been posted a million times.

I heard that if someone has wireless DSL access, if I am within a certain range (100 metres or something) I can use their connection for free (with my centrino laptop.)

Is this true?

Sorry if I sound retarded.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Depending on their configuration, yeah it's possible.

If you're going to do wireless, make your that your DHCP server only has an IP address range for the number of devices you have. Don't leave spare IP addresses there that roamers can pick up.

Use good username/password where possible too.

For more info - http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/IEEE/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Originally posted by Johnny Versace
    Firstly, apologies if this has been posted a million times.

I heard that if someone has wireless DSL access, if I am within a certain range (100 metres or something) I can use their connection for free (with my centrino laptop.)

Is this true?

Sorry if I sound retarded.

Depends. If their wireless network is unprotected then YES. But most people have protected it in some way, either via encryption (WEP, LEAP, WPA), or requiring passwords, or only allowing machines with a certain MAC address in to the network.

Advertisement