Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help

Options
  • 07-04-2004 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

is there anyway i can fool my computer into thinking that my graphics card is better than it is so i can play newer games?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Yes. Sellotape a bit of paper with the name of the graphics card you want onto the exsisting card, pop it back in the PC, and that'll do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Post of the Century!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

The none sarcastic answer i believe is No.

There is a reason why they don't work as modern games need a lot of things which the modern gfx cards give. Shaders and such or something. Im not sure exactly but the answer really is no unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

you can get fairly new cards for a good price these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 dgarrad

Just had a quick look on Komplett.ie, you can get a GeForce FX for €65. That'll play anything that around at the moment, and it won't break the bank either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

Stick it in your xbox and see what happens.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Maybe, just maybe there is a reason newer games don't run on older cards, and there is probably a consipracy amongst video card manufacutrers to force people to buy new cards just because they are twice as fast as they were 18 months ago..

Some cards have firmware, and I'm sure there might possibly be a way to force a flash on some cards such that the game will recognise the card but then die horribly when it tries to access the new features it supposed to have - course it might be windows that dies..

€65 is a tad less than the RRP of almost any pair of new games..

Now where did I leave that never-made-public TSR microcode utility to add P4 instuctions to those PIII's ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

This Radeon 9200 Se for $70 in PC World.

Plays BFV, Farcry UT2004 Deus Ex 2 and Cod all on 1280x

Cheap and easy to get they have lots.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Originally posted by VirtualNemesis
    is there anyway i can fool my computer into thinking that my graphics card is better than it is so i can play newer games?
    Yes. Sellotape a bit of paper with the name of the graphics card you want onto the exsisting card, pop it back in the PC, and that'll do the job.

Aw lads, that is F**king hilarious!!!! :D
    I nearly spat a mouthful of tea over the screen!!!!

*Just thinking on that reckoning, is there anyway that I can fool girls into thinking that I am better looking and richer than I am?!?! :D

Deadly!!

B.

Advertisement