Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Golf decision time

Options
  • 07-04-2004 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭

My aunts car is a 00D 1.4 green Golf ~25,000 Kilos on the clock, it's in very good condition although the engine is a little hesitant in first gear (apparently easily fixed)??.

Is €12,000 a fair price? I know the dealers would look for 12k-13.5k

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

What year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

2000 sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

For a 2000 Golf 1.4 with milage that low, I'd say €12k is a fair price.
    It works out at about 6k to 7k miles a year which is pretty low. Assuming there is nothing else wrong with the car, take into account how much it would cost to get engine (first gear problem) fixed and NCT if not done already.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,378 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I find that pretty expensive for a private sale of a not-perfect car. Remember that when another car is advertised for a certain price, you'd get money off that

I feel Golfs in general are way overpriced in Ireland second hand. Would you not get a 2000 Octavia for around €9k? The car is virtually identical mechanically and would also depreciate considerably less saving you even more money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Unexpected

Your aunt is robbing you! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

I'd be worried about this "hesitancy" the car has. If it was that easily fixed, you would imagine it would be fixed by now.
    In my experience, "careful lady owners" generally don't tend to bother with making sure the car's oil and coolant levels are topped up and this could be a symptom of the car not having been maintained properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Thank you for the comments! I think I'll just go to see a dealer. Having a some kind of guarantee is a nice feeling!

Advertisement