Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google: Anti-Semitic?

Options
  • 07-04-2004 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

The following link relates to an article where a New York businessman has claimed that Google is an anti-semitic organisation because of its page-ranking criteria.

http://www.flexbeta.net/main/comments.php?catid=1&shownews=7090

I'm just wondering what people's opinions are on this. Is his claim justified, or is this an example of paranoia surrounding anti-semitism reaching new heights (or possibly lows). Personally, I feel this is madness. I would like to clearly state that I have nothing against the Jewish people, but this is like feminists complaining about the use of terms such as 'mankind'. Political correctness is one thing, but this is madness.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

More "anti-semitic" madness.

If you search for "toys" on google the second result is for a sex shop.

Are google perverts as well as anti-semitic?????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Frankly, what a load of arse. As was said, a result is determined by an algorithm. If it happens that more anti-Semitic sites link to one another featuring, in a predominant manner, the word "Jew" then it's no fault of Google. You can do the same for words of everytype. The clearly ill informed Steven Weinstock seems to think that, upon entering a search, Google returns a list of Google's favourite websites relating to that world, and acts as if the list was scripted by neo-Nazis.
    As another example, I want to find out about some nice pubs in Ireland. I just typed in "drink Ireland" as a search and was informed, in the first page, as to how we're Europe's top consumers of alcohol. Argh! It's a conspiracy to make out that we're all drunks :rolleyes:
    I hope the idiot is laughed away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I vote this is moved to humour!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

It's not googles fault that so many people hate the Jews. I'd like to see some Jewish groups sitting up and wondering "Why do so many people hate us? Is it that we are hoarders and money grabbers? Is it because of the situation with the Palestinians? Is it because we killed Jesus?"

Ok, that last bit was a joke btw and I know I'm starting to sound like a troll now but I'm sick of hearing anti-semetic this and anti-semetic that. Six million Jews were slaughtered, which is a terrible thing to happen but FFS, that was 60 years ago.
    How many million Irish people died in the famine caused by England? How many Africans were bought and sold as slaves by the English and Americans? How come its always the Jews that can play the race card? Well, I'm playing the racIST card.
    Upstart minority groups. There is nothing more annoying.

BTW, it's worth noting that it was the English people who first started using concentration camps during the Boer war. Nobody ever hears about these.

• Advertisement

I'd like to see some Jewish groups sitting up and wondering "Why do so many people hate us? Is it that we are hoarders and money grabbers? Is it because of the situation with the Palestinians? Is it because we killed Jesus?"

Perhaps a distinction between Jews and Israel? Its comments like that that generate so much Jew bashing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Originally posted by ixoy
    As was said, a result is determined by an algorithm.

Mathematics founded on anti-semetics shocker!

Originally posted by klaz
    Perhaps a distinction between Jews and Israel? Its comments like that that generate so much Jew bashing.

Tell me something Klaz, because I know you know ALL about this subject because there is no doubt in my mind you spent hours on the internet researching this topic.

Why is America supporting Israel? Is it because the Jewish people are the most powerful ethnic minority group in the US who they wish to please or is it because they have to help Israel in the "fight against terrorism"? Have you never seen the rallies held by the Jews in America against "The Palestinian terrorists"?

Again Klaz, argue the full point if your going to argue anything at all. Don't just type some half arsed bull just to get a responce. Heres a tip, set Google as your homepage.

Tell me something Klaz, because I know you know ALL about this subject because there is no doubt in my mind you spent hours on the internet researching this topic.

Actually i don't know all abt this subject. I'm neither jewish nor am i from Israel. Are you? All i was asking was for a distinction between Jews and Israel, in regards to your comment. Stop getting so Huffy.

Why is America supporting Israel? Is it because the Jewish people are the most powerful ethnic minority group in the US who they wish to please or is it because they have to help Israel in the "fight against terrorism"? Have you never seen the rallies held by the Jews in America against "The Palestinian terrorists"?

Where did this come from? You lumped all Jews as being part of the Palestinian problem. Some jews don't have any involvement. Some don't live in Israel. Strange concept i know.
    Again Klaz, argue the full point if your going to argue anything at all. Don't just type some half arsed bull just to get a responce. Heres a tip, set Google as your homepage.

{deleted comment}I asked you to stop your generalisations. Whats your problem with that?

Well Klaz, that very much sounded like a rhetorical question to me. You should have said "Can you distinguish between the Jews and the Israelis with regard to your post?" What were you expecting that my answer would be, that Jews are people and Israel is a country?
    Actually i don't know all abt this subject. I'm neither jewish nor am i from Israel.

I know its a problem when typing certain things because you cant hear the sarcasm, but God, you could have guessed:dunno:
    Where did this come from? You lumped all Jews as being part of the Palestinian problem. Some jews don't have any involvement. Some don't live in Israel. Strange concept i know.[/B]

FFS Klaz, you make me really angry sometimes. Are you deliberately being obtuse?

{deleted comment}I asked you to stop your generalisations. Whats your problem with that?

Sorry, you mostly, but not always, enter arguments that you know nothing about.

I'm sure there are some travellers who don't dump cookers on the side of the road, some UN country where the US does not have a military presence and maybe even some good humoured Germans. Don't take offence at a generalisation, argue a point against it. How many times have you seen a rally by the Jews in America against the persecution of the Palestinians?

BTW, I'm sure if I was to spend a few minutes searching your posts I find some generalisation or other

Non-Smokers seem to believe that smokers are out to get them.
    [/B]
    But of course you would never do that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Linoge
    It's not googles fault that so many people hate the Jews. I'd like to see some Jewish groups sitting up and wondering "Why do so many people hate us? Is it that we are hoarders and money grabbers? Is it because of the situation with the Palestinians? Is it because we killed Jesus?"
    Oh come on, I haven't heard of comments like that being expressed since hte 1930s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I went to koogle.com, talk about bias ****e, this is what i got when i typed in palestine http://www.middleeastfacts.com. Anti-semitism wrong, racism good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Originally posted by daveirl
    Well I'm afraid my friend that you are an anti-semite if you believe "Is it that we are hoarders and money grabbers"

i dunno about jews, dunno enough jews to pass comment on them, infact i don't know enough about any religious group to pass comment on them.. but i know about the Israeli's, they are propagating terror throughout palestine, breading angry young people with no hope in life whose families they killed. Israel is now second only after the US as the biggest threat to world peace.

But for some i guess, being against Israeli agression, occupation and oppression is the same as being anti-semitic. I still fail to see the link!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

how did people drag Israel into a discussion about some nutty new york businessman? :rolleyes:

maybe you didn't notice the words "anit-semitic" in the topic of the discussion, or maybe you failed to see the tenous link between that and the fact that anytime anyone speaks out against Israeli actions they are accused of being "anti-semitic", or maybe its just a conspiracy and G W has decided to finally reveal that he has no penis?

Well Klaz, that very much sounded like a rhetorical question to me. You should have said "Can you distinguish between the Jews and the Israelis with regard to your post?" What were you expecting that my answer would be, that Jews are people and Israel is a country?

Perhaps, not lumping all Jews together. Your comment sounded like you were blaming all jews everywhere for the Israel-Palestine problem. If you didn't mean to, then i apologise.
    FFS Klaz, you make me really angry sometimes. Are you deliberately being obtuse?

Not really.

Really? Give me a few examples. Point out the majority of my threads that lack relevent knowledge. In what way is my knowledge deficient, and if its the case, i'll go and find out the info i need to participate to your satisfaction?

if you'd rather not sideline this thread, you're more than welcome to pm me these threads.
    How many times have you seen a rally by the Jews in America against the persecution of the Palestinians?

I've never seen one. Perhaps there were. I actually don't know. *gasp*
    Non-Smokers seem to believe that smokers are out to get them

i was speaking as a smoker, responding to comments made by non-smokers. But i agree i made a generalisation. Well done, you've caught me out. But that still does not deny the fact that you made a huge generalisation abt jews and Israel, which I found extemely annoying. When you were posting in the Smoking thread, perhaps you should have taken me up on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Originally posted by daveirl
    Not me, but I do find the comment I quoted anti-semetic. I'm not debating that passing comment on Israel is anti-semetic, but saying all Jews are x or y, is.

sure, but I'm not talking about that, neither is that really the topic of this post. The fact is that Israel uses the term anti-semitic anytime anyone critises the country's actions. And while you may be a self proclaimed exception to the general rule even on these boards there have been several occasions of people calling posters anti-semitic for speaking out against Israeli actions in Palestine

quote:

Linoge , I'd still like either a pm or a comment here, as to where i post without any real knowledge.. I don't really like these sort of comments without some form of evidence...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Zaphod B

Originally posted by Boston
    I went to koogle.com, talk about bias ****e, this is what i got when i typed in palestine http://www.middleeastfacts.com. Anti-semitism wrong, racism good.

My favourite bit is the description that came up under the link to middleastfacts.com on Koogle - "Aims to debunk myths and tell the truth about Israel and the Palestinians..."

ROFL :D I've seen Ku Klux Klan websites that have gone to infinitely more effort to appear objective and unbiased than Middleeast.com. It may as well have a big bright banner that reads "Propagandist and Proud!" It actually consists of nothing more than pure propaganda. 'Dead Israeli babies"', 'Here's what the Palestinian Authority want to do with the map!', 'Here's a link to an article written by someone with a vaguely Arabic-sounding name and a tan condemning Islam, they agree with us so clearly we're right!'. Sigh.

As for Mr Weinstock... :rolleyes:
    I'm really quite tired of muppets like himself banding the phrase 'Anti-Semitic' around, just like every idiot who uses 'Anti-American' if you have the audacity to criticize an aspect of US government policy. The sad thing is that while cretins like Weinstock whinge about anti-Semitism for no good reason at all, meanwhile in many places popular opinion really is turning against Israel and subsequently against the Jewish people in general. If anything boys crying wolf like this are making the situation worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Even funnier is mentioning the site or linking to it (or the keyword) is actually bumping up the list.

The ADL have requested that people do not do this as you are being anti-semetic

I strongly strongly dislike Israel, and as a result it has made me dislike Jewish people who support Israel.

No doubt, some people will think this is anti-semitic, but it just isn't.

It's like my (black) friend from Kenya who dislikes black men because she thinks they are sleazy. Is she a racist? No.

People need to stop assuming anyone who says something bad against Jewish people is anti-semitic.

/rant over

Linoge , I'd still like either a pm or a comment here, as to where i post without any real knowledge.. I don't really like these sort of comments without some form of evidence...

Look no further than your last post. In the space of a few lines you wrote:

Really? Give me a few examples. Point out the majority of my threads that lack relevent knowledge. In what way is my knowledge deficient, and if its the case, i'll go and find out the info i need to participate to your satisfaction?

Followed by this:

I've never seen one. Perhaps there were. I actually don't know. *gasp*

You dont know, dont care, or won't admit that there was never any. Either way, you don't sound like you know much about the topic at hand.

I'm not going to take the time to look through all your posts looking for crap. Look through this thread Klaz. What have you actually added? You have given no factual infomation whatsoever. All you've done is argued with me how I made a generalisation and then went on to just trounce what I've said.

Look through your own posts and give me one example of a relevant point you have made. I'm not arguing that you post without any real knowledge, I'm arguing that you post with no knowledge.
    Actually i don't know all abt this subject. I'm neither jewish nor am i from Israel. Are you? All i was asking was for a distinction between Jews and Israel, in regards to your comment. Stop getting so Huffy.

Where did this come from? You lumped all Jews as being part of the Palestinian problem. Some jews don't have any involvement. Some don't live in Israel. Strange concept i know.

Perhaps, not lumping all Jews together. Your comment sounded like you were blaming all jews everywhere for the Israel-Palestine problem. If you didn't mean to, then i apologise.

Not really.

if you'd rather not sideline this thread, you're more than welcome to pm me these threads.?
    [/B]

I'm not trying to turn this into one big flame and I'm not trying to embarrass you, but you seem to haunt me through some of these threads. I hope I've made my point abundantly clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Hobbes
    Even funnier is mentioning the site or linking to it (or the keyword) is actually bumping up the list.

The ADL have requested that people do not do this as you are being anti-semetic

But...but...

If the ADL mention these sites by URL (to tell the rest of us that they are anti-Semitic), then they are bumping up the sites' rankings themselves....

so does this mean that the ADL says it is itself anti-Semitic?

Or am I just falling for the old trap of falsely assuming that logic was actually at work there ;)

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by Johnny Versace
    I strongly strongly dislike Israel, and as a result it has made me dislike Jewish people who support Israel.

No doubt, some people will think this is anti-semitic, but it just isn't.
    That depends. Do you also automatically dislike non-Jews who support Israel?
    It's like my (black) friend from Kenya who dislikes black men because she thinks they are sleazy. Is she a racist? No.
    Well, if she dislikes black men as a group because they're "sleazy", then she's no different from someone who dislikes black men as a group because they're "lazy" or "stupid" or "criminal" (or whatever other stereotype...). The colour of her own skin doesn't even come into it.

Yeah, but she's not racist. That's all I'm saying.

I do think people who support Israel are irrational and I do have a tendency to dislike them. They don't have to be Jewish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by Johnny Versace
    Yeah, but she's not racist. That's all I'm saying.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=racist
    1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
    2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.
    So if you believe that all black men are sleazy, then you're a racist, no matter whether you're black yourself or not.
    I do think people who support Israel are irrational and I do have a tendency to dislike them. They don't have to be Jewish.
    Do you find yourself automatically assuming that all Jews support Israel?

Originally posted by Meh
    So if you believe that all black men are sleazy, then you're a racist, no matter whether you're black yourself or not.

But how can a black person, who dislikes black men, be racist?

It doesn't make sense...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Zaphod B

Since you dislike all supporters of Israel as opposed to just Jewish supporters, I wouldn't accuse you of being racist.

It is possible to be racially prejudiced against someone of the same race/colour as yourself however; often people are indoctrinated from youth to believe that their race is somehow inferior to others, and sometimes they will believe it. It's racist to be prejudiced against any particular race of people - not necessarily another race. It makes perfect sense.

Advertisement